Lower Niagara River Conditions

jsummerfield

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday there was a decent amount of ice in the morning, but by the end of the day- it had almost entirely cleared. Beautiful day, with good visibility.

Managed 2 male rainbows, and one 8 lb female. All on roe. No browns sadly.

I fished the glen on Saturday 7am-10, water was the clearest I've ever seen. But the ice was brutal. There wasn't a lot at first but just the way it was flowing, my line got swept away fast. There was more and more flowing as the time went on. I left with a big skunk! Not a happy camper.

• 2 weeks later...

any update on the river conditions?

yes, I got down to the whirlpool early this morning only to walk right back up. the whirlpool is SOLID with ice flow.. some sort of dam or something must have all came down at the same time. there was not even a chance you could get a line in the water let alone even see the water. anyone have any idea how long this will take to clear up?

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid190.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fz252%2Fwildniagara%2FApril18th2011.mp4">

Well, I was planning on going out tomorrow to the whirlpool, looks like the ice might still be there.. any idea how long thats going to take to leave? what about fishing at the glen?

We did ok on sunday, water was very stained though... head to the lower end of the glen if you go...

Derek

no fish? whats going on? obviously i am missing something? i went to the whirlpool on tuesday and got 2 fish! there was know one else there. Sooo what am i missing here? where are all the locals? what am i missing? to cold? to much rain?

You were one of the few men who actually went outside this week that's all :clapping:

PS after todays wind the River is chocolate milk again

You were one of the few men who actually went outside this week that's all :clapping:

PS after todays wind the River is chocolate milk again

Todays wind also increased the water level to almost unseen levels (at least unseen since hydro generation began on the river). The Helicopter pad at the base of the Whirlpool trail was under water today. Prior to it being submerged there was one hearty soul fishing from it. Just to add some perspective. Next time you are down there. Have a good look where the helicopter pad is, in relation to the water.

Here's your explanation :):roflblack:

http://getoutniagara.ca/

has anyone been down to the lower today or after the big wind storm from last week? has it FINALLY started to clear up ??? I have the day off tommorow and I am driving from Mount Hope and dont want to waste my time in the morn if it is blown out . I dont want to know fishing spots as i have fished the river for years , just conditions.Thanks in advance

FIN'S'FISHER :Gonefishing:

With the rains today, visibility was under 2 feet. I did see one lost boat in the lower drift yesterday. The water was too stained for him to be motoring and drifting around. Water coming down the open canal to the power station is dirty. The water coming out of the underground tunnel is better than the open one.

Thread revival! :D

-Just wondering on the water conditions at the whirlpool?.. was planning on a trip this sat.. been almost 10 years since I last walked that path! :thx:

Archived