Lake Erie Perch

Dan Andrews

Well I didn't think it would happen but I finally got a Sunday that the winds were calm and I wasn't sick. This bug has been hurting me for too long. I don't know why I launched out of Point Abino instead of Pleasant Beach but after about 1 1/2 hrs of paddling I finally found fish. This was also a test drive for the portable fish finder I bought months back. The suction cup kept falling off and it made it difficult to find fish but facebook reports showed that if you found them on the ff then you caught them.

So after a long paddle out and struggle with the transducer I came home with a few. When they were on the screen I'd get doubles usually one keeper and one dink with more following them up. My perch came from 30 FOW but others reported fish in just about every depth out there. If your catching fish without an FF your dam good. At one point I was invited to hug another boat who had a school below him. If we did not stay right on top and move with the school the reel would cool off.

These fish were moving out this time last year so get out this week if you have a day off. Seems they can be caught anywhere from Windmill point right past Port Colborne. Next time I go that transducer will be solid mounted and I'll spend more time fishing and later cleaning.

008-3.jpg

Nice catch chilli, glad your feeling better and got out and got some fish.

It must get really crowded in that kayak with all that fishing gear and them perchies.

It was the same for me and Tim on Saturday our best spot was 30fow in the bay, mostly because it was easier to move with the fish, got to keep moving this time of year.

Nice catch chilli, glad your feeling better and got out and got some fish.

It must get really crowded in that kayak with all that fishing gear and them perchies.

It was the same for me and Tim on Saturday our best spot was 30fow in the bay, mostly because it was easier to move with the fish, got to keep moving this time of year.

I just spin and throw them in the dry well. The crowded feeling came with the flies though. The portable fish finder is small enough and a couple perch rigs and sinkers barely put a lump in your pocket. A hand held gps sits on top of the FF and a small tupperware container of freshly salted minnows replaces a big minnow pail. If you do it right there's plenty of room to spare :)

• 2 weeks later...

Same here. I was all over Morgans Saturday and today and could not find the perch. If anyone has any location they want to share via PM I would be greatfull.

Water was clear and calm today. You could see the bottom in 20 feet of water.

Archived