Anchor(Ing) Set Up

blue pilgrim

Hey Folks.

After being out on Jordan harbour on the weekend and getting a little blown around and fighting some of the currents I was thinking of getting an anchor set up for the 'Yak.

I have seen a nice set up that has the small grapple anchor and the proper bits and pieces for the boat. $25 I believe it was.

I wanted to ask about your set up pro's and cons and if you can recommend any brands and or set ups.

I want to avoid a set up where it is connected to my boat in the middle, for obvious safety issues, but how can I set it up and retrieve it if it's connected at either end?

Also, I saw a smaller grapple anchor for only $5 at Canadian Tire. $5 more in rope and I can have one pretty cheap.

I have a full touring yak that is fiberglass so the less drilling the better. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike.

I have the $5 grapple from Dick's. I use decoy line for anchor rope and simply keep it on the spool.

I put the anchor through my rear carry/tie down handle before opening the grapple. I use the side tie down to connect it to the kayak. The pros are your first point of contact is the rear handle so your always facing down stream in the current. Keeping the line on the spool allows you to roll it back up when your done so only the small anchor and spool of line need to go in your dry well when not in use. No screwing anything to your kayak.

The cons are the line gets twisted when rewinding so you have to untie the anchor occasionally and rewind the line and if your anchor gets stuck you have to reach around with your paddle and lift your line so you can pull directly from the side of the kayak. I currently don't have an anchor as it got stuck in Thompson's Hole and I had to cut the line which brings me to one more pro. Decoy line is cheap and easy to cut with the side cutters on your needle nose pliers.

another goot tip chilli

I have the $5 grapple from Dick's. I use decoy line for anchor rope and simply keep it on the spool.

I put the anchor through my rear carry/tie down handle before opening the grapple. I use the side tie down to connect it to the kayak. The pros are your first point of contact is the rear handle so your always facing down stream in the current. Keeping the line on the spool allows you to roll it back up when your done so only the small anchor and spool of line need to go in your dry well when not in use. No screwing anything to your kayak.

The cons are the line gets twisted when rewinding so you have to untie the anchor occasionally and rewind the line and if your anchor gets stuck you have to reach around with your paddle and lift your line so you can pull directly from the side of the kayak. I currently don't have an anchor as it got stuck in Thompson's Hole and I had to cut the line which brings me to one more pro. Decoy line is cheap and easy to cut with the side cutters on your needle nose pliers.

Thanks Chili.

I figure with all the rigging and anchor points already on my deck I could finaggle something safe.

I will look for the decoy line. Do you have the smaller 1.5 lb anchor or the biger 3 lb'er?

I've found a few simple drawings on the net and it looks like a simple set up with a couple of caribiners is the way to go.

I'll try to get it up and running on the weekend.

Thanks again.

Mike

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived