The Dans On The Pond

knightfisher

Well the Dans decided to beat the heat so we went onto the pond.

Got on the water just after 6 pm.

On smerchly’s advice a while back, we decided to pound one shoreline

And it paid off.

Very rewarding evening. Lots of fish. Lots of misses, and both of us

Got into a lot of trees

We both got into bass and pike. Dan got the numbers tonight.

Between us we caught about ten or so.

Picture quality sucks, sorry, anyone have a decent camera for sale…

DSCN2904.jpg

DSCN2906.jpg

DSCN2908.jpg

DSCN2909.jpg

DSCN2910.jpg

DSCN2911.jpg

DSCN2913.jpg

This guy was a surprise for sure. Thought it was a skinny bass at first.

DSCN2914.jpg

DSCN2915.jpg

Dan has a few other pictures he’ll post later.

nice crappie there Dan, and nice bass and pike wish I had that kinda luck down there lol

Guest LockedInTheTrunkOfACar

The pike of the night

IMG_0156.jpg

Estimated at around 35" and 10/12 pounds ... a personal best for myself. Dan landed it for me as it was a tad too hard ... I need a shorter rod.

Dan with one of his bass

IMG_0153.jpg

As far as the night ... great evening to be out and like Dan said about 10 fish ... that last pike ... took what I was expecting to be my last fishless cast when I thought I hooked into some weeds ... there was just no movement occurring for a few seconds when the head shakes started. Was a good fight and it took a while for it to calm down to get it in the canoe ... and even at that it did not want to come in. We got it in the canoe and it wanted to keep flopping around. I almost thought we might be going swimming with how much energy the fish had ...

The fish of the night was Knightfisher's crappie though ... never seen a crappie go after a spinnerbait or that size (it was bigger than most of the bass).

yes down in the south they use spinnerbaits for crappie, and that was a nice white woulda loved that on the UL

The pic of Dan’s pike does not do it justice. This pike was thick and extremely strong.

So we were winding down the evening and Dan said it would be nice to get one or two more.

About five minutes before Dan hooked into the pike I said to him, ‘’look how calm everything is around us’’. I then said “Dan you see the movie ‘jaws’ before” There was an eerie calm for a spell.

Then it happened, Dan’s rod bent over. After a few minutes of fighting the fish it showed it self. We

knew this one was not going to be easy to get in and release. Dan done his best to keep it from getting under the canoe which it tried a few times.

I got the net ready and finally got her in the net.

This gal didn’t like that, she started fighting in the net before I could get it aboard.

Then I noticed the was no sign of the spinner. Just the leader showing. Dan says do what you have to.

I cut the line to release the rod. This pike still in the net, still thrashing. While in the net I was able to look

Down it’s yap, and he inhaled the lure. It was hooked deep near the gills. I got as deep in as I could and cut

the leader. By this time I was able to get the pike out of the net, at the same time deciding what to do about this larger spinner. The pike suddenly became restless and started thrashing around in the canoe, my two tackle bags now covered in slime. During all the commotion the lure pops out of the side of the gill plate.

Amazing it was, because I was going to start snipping the lure a piece at a time.

Good thing I didn’t though, because all the fish Dan caught this evening was on this one spinner bait.

Back in the water, I figured it would take a while to get this pike revived. Nope, with in seconds she was gone

Like a bat out of hell.

Anyways it made for a great ending to a excellent evening on the pond.

Well Dan, now we set the bar for ourselves B)

:Gonefishing:

Sooner or later I knew you would hook a nice pike there Dans . You may yet hook a big cat ,carp or ski that will pull that little boat all over the place . Great post guys , we need some of that down home inspiration in this heat . It gets us old farts off our tush, and I'll be doing the bike/pike thing tomorrow morning at the 12 . Hope to get a few bass & try to match your 10 lb.der Dan . :Gonefishing:

Thanks guys.

Forgot to mention I weighed the pike, net and all, as I usually do,

and when it settled for a bit, is when we got our reading.

Earlier I mentioned I was prepared to cut the lure apart. To do this I use a pair of

wire cutters as pictured below.

I have had to use them a few times, but the most memorable was when I had to

cut a stick bait treble hook out of my arm due to a unruly pike a few years back, ouch.

These snips cut through treble hooks and shanks like butter.

These are very inexpensive, only $9.00 and I think the needle nose pliers were about $6or 7.

A little rusty, but always oiled to ensure proper operation.

DSCN2930.jpg

I believe it is important to carry a pair of long nosed forceps, pliers or wire cutters for hook removal when there is a chance of hooking into some larger fish.

:Gonefishing:

Archived