Another Gorge Rescue & Illegal Dumping?

Frank81

Just came across this article on the Welland Tribune website.

http://www.wellandtribune.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3257604

Anyone here familier with the location of this pipe and know what it may be?

I hope everyone that was covered in this stuff is okay, and I hope it's not something that will hurt the environment.

Seems to happen every year , for different reasons & someone will get killed one day .(if not already) . I hope they find the source of the sewage or whatever it is . It should be easy to trace it & I hope we hear about it in the news ! I saw this report on the CH news today .

The mighty Niagara has claimed many lives over the years , another one lost today near the falls .......

http://www.stcathari....aspx?e=3258390

Anyone here familier with the location of this pipe and know what it may be?

I know the area quite well but I've never heard of any pipe in the area. The city did a major sewer revamp in that exact area very recently. I don't know why anyone would try and access the gorge in that area it is pretty much a shear cliff. Without full rock climbing gear this is exactly what I would expect would happen.

it's actually roughly 500 bucks per truck at the scene and about 250 bucks per hour. if it took 4 hours, that's 1000 bucks, plus however many firetrucks responded. deffinitely not cheap. :)

I know the area quite well but I've never heard of any pipe in the area. The city did a major sewer revamp in that exact area very recently. I don't know why anyone would try and access the gorge in that area it is pretty much a shear cliff. Without full rock climbing gear this is exactly what I would expect would happen.

Not sure of the exact pipe or anything but the closest access spot down which isnt very far to the left of where this happened has 2 pipes visble that drain into the gorge from the wall above but never seen anything coming out of them. I would imagine these pipes really would dot that entire wall if you could travel along. (which obviously can't be done)

With the number of people that go down there, with no experience, and end up falling in after goofing around, I bet we'll eventually see the whole lower river/gorge area closed off to public someday. That's usually what ends up happening.

As for the drainage pipe, it's pretty standard around niagara. Just go take a look at Kraft Rd in Fort erie after a good storm.

Steelee, correct there are many dotting the gorge, and after a rain fall they run pretty steady. I've been to the breach of a few of them and they smell heavily of methane among other things..

As for hiking along that stretch of river... Tretcherous is an understatement.

Not sure of the exact pipe or anything but the closest access spot down which isnt very far to the left of where this happened has 2 pipes visble that drain into the gorge from the wall above but never seen anything coming out of them. I would imagine these pipes really would dot that entire wall if you could travel along. (which obviously can't be done)

Aren't those pipes further down though? around John st. From the report in the paper this seemed to be around Hiram. Actually I think there is one large pipe that comes out between Hiram and the bridge. I've never even considered climbing down there to see what it is for.

Aren't those pipes further down though? around John st. From the report in the paper this seemed to be around Hiram. Actually I think there is one large pipe that comes out between Hiram and the bridge. I've never even considered climbing down there to see what it is for.

Yes the closest access point down in I know of is still further left of John street.(Bass Bay) Im just speculating that knowing theres a few pipes right there that they are probably all along there. The pipes here are not visable from the parkway they are well below deep into the wall. Since most of this area cant be easily accessed I have to wonder what would be along there too.

Archived