Trident 13™      angler

inwook80

hey~ guys~

so its been a year since I started fishing.... got few rod and reel and still fishing ^^*

starting of this summer I got into boat.

but now I wanna try kayak fishing....

two questions..... Ocean Kayak Trident13 = good for beginner?

and where is most popular place for newbies like my self can kayak around st.catharines?

thx thx

oh~ if you think ocean kayak is not good for begginer.... sugest me one plz....

hey~ guys~

and where is most popular place for newbies like my self can kayak around st.catharines?

thx thx

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=22967

look up :rolleyes:

• 8 months later...

I want to get into yak fishing myself and am deciding between the Trident 13 or the Riot Edge 12 Angler. I found a place for the Trident for $900 taxes incl. if you go that route. Email this add for the same deal, tell em b_welch@bell.net sent you...outdoorswholesale@mail.com

Check out Chili's post about kayaks in this forum. I posted this...

I also have a kayak, but it's a longer touring model from Northern Lights; with full rudder, front and rear storage, decking etc. and I can tell you that it's almost too much for fishing. I was out a few weeks ago off point Abino and Crystal beach and I was doing more kayaking than fishing, but didn't plan it that way. As it is so long it is perfect for travelling the long and strait lines and can carry everything I need for a week in Algonquin. Although if you get into an area you want to sit and cast for a while the winds or waves can take your 'yak in all directions since the front and back are catching both so easily. Most of my time was trying to correct where I was going.

Also, my cockpit is to tight an area to have gear at the ready. My kayak is Fibre-glass and I need to find a rod holder I can affix to it without drilling or adapting to much that may "ruin" the hull. Scotty's has a nice set up that I may try this summer. I would definately go the smaller, wider, plastic route as I think it would be better to ride, sit, adapt, abuse, learn and most importantly fish from.

My kayak is great for what it is made for and I have had some success fishing from it, but I am already looking at the Pelicans avaialable at Costco...You know so the girlfriend can have fun too..... yeah, that's it..... wink.gif

No matter what you're in have fun on the water and be safe.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the wilderness systems: tarpon 100 and I love it as a first kayak. Stable, manoeuvreable, modifiable, comfortable and loaded with storage. Theres only 2 things I want more from it. I wish it was a bit faster and 2; would love for it to be "rudder ready". For the price.$699 + tax and $90 duty cause I got it in the states. I'd definitely look into that model.

I have the wilderness systems: tarpon 100 and I love it as a first kayak. Stable, manoeuvreable, modifiable, comfortable and loaded with storage. Theres only 2 things I want more from it. I wish it was a bit faster and 2; would love for it to be "rudder ready". For the price.$699 + tax and $90 duty cause I got it in the states. I'd definitely look into that model.

Duty, or HST you had to pay at the border on top of NYS 7% sales tax?

There should be zero duty on almost all poly SOT's, they are all made in the USA. $699 is the retail Canadian price for a Tarpon 100 too, a 120 or Tarpon 140 would be a decent bargain.

• 5 weeks later...

I bought a Riot Escape 12 Angler from Sail. Wasn't too happy with it (just cheap look/feel overall and way too heavy). Ended up exchanging it for the Trident 13 Angler, got Sail to price match for $900 taxes included and couldn't be happier...awesome boat! Highly recommended!

• 2 months later...

how long is your paddle? you can increase your speed by purchasing a shorter paddle with larger blades. depends on your torso height from the water. the more vertical your paddle is at each stroke, the faster you go. the longer paddles they generally sell are too horizontal in stroke and less quick. of course, a good yak with lots of rocker and secondary stability will perform much better than the typical flat bottomed fishing yak with lots of primary stability. longer yaks are faster than shorter yaks, but require much more strength to overcome the friction of the water. bigger yak means more wetted area, which means more friction. over short runs, a shorter yak will be quicker, but over distance and with the right paddler, a long yak can outperform a short yak.

how long is your paddle? you can increase your speed by purchasing a shorter paddle with larger blades. depends on your torso height from the water. the more vertical your paddle is at each stroke, the faster you go. the longer paddles they generally sell are too horizontal in stroke and less quick. of course, a good yak with lots of rocker and secondary stability will perform much better than the typical flat bottomed fishing yak with lots of primary stability. longer yaks are faster than shorter yaks, but require much more strength to overcome the friction of the water. bigger yak means more wetted area, which means more friction. over short runs, a shorter yak will be quicker, but over distance and with the right paddler, a long yak can outperform a short yak.

I have a very short paddle actually. 192 carbon whitewater paddle that I found on kijiji. Love it. Makes for very quick and powerful strokes. Its so light and strong too. Next kayak will probably be in the 12 foot range and narrower, but I will buy inflatable stabilizers from Scotty. Makes for a quicker boat with removeable balance.

I have a very short paddle actually. 192 carbon whitewater paddle that I found on kijiji. Love it. Makes for very quick and powerful strokes. Its so light and strong too. Next kayak will probably be in the 12 foot range and narrower, but I will buy inflatable stabilizers from Scotty. Makes for a quicker boat with removeable balance.

yup, shorter paddle makes all the difference. we were out at Penners yesterday and I'm gonna buy the Nucanoe Frontier 12. there's nuthin but good things to be said about this boat, all over the internet. it's the ideal yak/canoe hybrid and is about as stable as stable gets. you can even stand and fly fish from these things. we are also gonna buy a few Point 65 yaks too. although, they did have some very nice Necky's on sale too. soo much to choose from. LOL.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hey~ guys~

so its been a year since I started fishing.... got few rod and reel and still fishing ^^*

starting of this summer I got into boat.

but now I wanna try kayak fishing....

two questions..... Ocean Kayak Trident13 = good for beginner?

thx thx

Well I have a wilderness systeme tarpom 120 one of the best yaks on the marked .Got mine at Outdoors Oriented got their and talk to Jamie he will help you out oh and tell him Steve sent you. they have them in stock but if your looking for a cheap yak CTC is the place but if you want a good one Outdoors is the place.

Archived