Boating In Jordan Harbour

mmucciarelli

does anyone know whether powerboats are permitted in Jordan Harbour? we went down to the launch and were told that only non-motorized boats could use it or risk a fine because it's a conservation area. but the guy didn't know whether we could drive a powerboat in the harbour.

You're talking about 20 Mile Creek marsh right, not the harbour at the Beacon?

Either he is horribly misinformed, or a local that wants to keep other people out of the area. Because that is a giant load of BS.

Not only is there no motor restriction in Jordan Harbour, but the 20 Mile Creek marsh isn't part of any special protected area.

Although portions of the harbour and marsh are a Provincially Significant Wetland, there is absolutely no restriction/probition on motorized boats. The small NPCA-owned property (formerly Campbell's Marina) on the west side of the harbour might have a policy of not allowing the launching of motorized boats from their property, but this does not otherwise restrict the use of motors in the harbour.

The harbour is much shallower now than it was when it was known as a great bass fishery and a good ice fishing spot . I might venture into the harbour with a small tinner with a 9.9 , but your prop could still take a beating , so take it slow or take a canoe .

The actual harbour between the QEW and the rail trestle is fair game. Please understand that much of the basin has silted in terribly with many areas holding less than 2' of depth with many submerged snags. You are taking some chances.

The area south of the trestle has long been posted as a no motor zone, though I have never seen it enforced.

Jordan harbour was very well known for it's bass fishing . Americans would go there for bass and the black people would rent flat bottom steel boats from Campbells Marina & fish for catfish , crappies and carp . They had events there summer & winter with sled racing to ice fishing . I have a pictures with Chili & his sis in front of a ski plane that landed there . We even drove out on the ice to catch jumbo size perch ,but that is all history now ........access is very limited as well .

thanks everyone for the reply and advice. yes the nice guy at the launch (he rents out kayaks and canoes and such) was warning me that others have been fined for launching a powerboat there ($50 or $80 fine) because it's some kind of conservation area. all i was trying to do was to get into some protected water to test out an old 14' fibreglass boat and 40hp motor i just inherited. i didn't even know if the thing floated let alone if the motor worked on the water (it started but you know how those older motors can be).

ps. i launched at the beacon ($10) and didn't even make it out of the marina. had to paddle my way back to the launch. hahahahahaha

The mechanics there ,John & Claude are good guys , I use their services for my outboard work . That NW wind we had yesterday would make it very rough out there ......but it would help you get back to the launch ! B) I hope the engine problem is just a minor one , maybe needs a cleaning.

Construction of the new QEW bridge filled in the channel restricting flow (and permanently pooching the great shore fishing at the mouth), increased water usage & urbanization on top of the Escarpment cut creek flows to about half what they were 20 years ago. Not enough water to blow the silt out in the spring floods and it just builds up year after year.

Same old same old all across the Escarpment.

Construction of the new QEW bridge filled in the channel restricting flow (and permanently pooching the great shore fishing at the mouth), increased water usage & urbanization on top of the Escarpment cut creek flows to about half what they were 20 years ago. Not enough water to blow the silt out in the spring floods and it just builds up year after year.

Same old same old all across the Escarpment.

Why do you think the new bridge changed the fishing, as the channel under the new bridge seems to be wider then the old bridge it replaced.

Why do you think the new bridge changed the fishing, as the channel under the new bridge seems to be wider then the old bridge it replaced.

In truth, the harbour was slowly silting up, naturally. long before the highway was there. Ships used to travel up past the location of the trestle to pick up loads of lime. That was well over 100 years back. There have been more than 2 bridges built to span part of the mouth of the harbour. Look at the width of the harbour along the QEW. That was the harbour's natural basin. a 1km wide, unobstructed flow in which silt flowed out into L Ontario. When the causeways were put in, they obstructed the flow of sediment into the lake, thereby accelerating the silting up of the harbour as the backflow circulates back into the harbour, allowing the sediment to settle.

Archived