Getting Better

Dan Andrews

Finally getting the hang of this mossberg. That and these critters seemed way to brave and let me "slide" right in with the kayak. The East wind turned the fish off yet again on Sunday afternoon but the birds are starting to show up.

027.jpg

The duck will go in the pressure cooker and the goose will be jerky.

029.jpg

I long ago found that putting my gun down, pouring a coffee from my thermos and opening my lunch was a sure way to get ducks to come in. When I starting applying it as a hunting tactic, it worked like a charm. By quickly dropping my lunch and grabbing my gun, I'd catch the ducks totally off guard. But the food bill got expensive, not to mention the mess it made in the duck blind.

Over the years, I've refined it to putting my gun down (within easy reach) and peeling a banana, all the while keeping one eye on the sky.

But the bananas are still a bit of a hassle, as in: "Hey Derek, what's in the big bag; your decoys?", to which I have to explain, "No, its bananas. My decoys are in the smaller bag."

So this season I'm going to try a little experiment. Wearing a yellow glove, I'm going to hold up my hand with three fingers extended and clustered together. Then I'm going to slowly peel back each finger, mimicking the action of peeling a banana. I'll let you know how it works! ;):D

Archived