Fishing With Marshmallows

toaster

Marshmallows are just a good way of keeping your hook up off the bottom to floss the fish with. Sure it'll still hook them in the mouth since they swim into the line and then pull the hook into their mouth. Roe bags with floaties and yarn with scent works way better when fishing on bottom.

• 10 months later...

Can not give any insight on marshmallows as I have never tried it... But I imagine from a fish perspective the small ones could look like eggs. I have the salmon fever I am pumped for this year!

U can use anything alot of people debate whether the fish get'flossed' or they actually eat them. My personal opinion......the fish are swimming around they are natural predators when they see/smell something they are likley to mouth it sometimes hooking them selves if u watch fish in astocking pond they react to mostley anything floating around in the water, sometimes they grab it and spit it out right away, same as ur bait.its def true that some get flossed and some are snagged, but I didn't hook one fish outside the mouth last year and had some great days ;) plus I don't throw spoons in the 4falls lol why even bringa rod ! Any ways there's no salmon here so don't bother trying

Flossers use a long hook lead in the current with a short sinker lead. This stretches out the line at mouth height from the bottom and the line ends up in their mouth. As they swim past the end of the lead the hook gets caught right in the corner of their mouth. Use a small lead like you would fish any roe imitation and tell the hot heads calling you a snagger to go for a swim and cool off. This is one of the reasons I'd just rather not fish any more. Too many aquatic bible thumpers

I have heard and read about so many home foods that have caught fish ....I saw a guy get a 1 lb. smallie on a piece of french fry .When it comes to using roe bags , the options are endless ! I can think of many foods to try and I'll bet I could get trout with them . One guy said to try raspberries in a roe bag......looks like roe & nice colour ....maybe knock it up a notch with a hit of tobasco . :smiley_campfire-1: Cheap cheese cloth can be used for roe bags .....add a little fatty hamburg to keep it buoyant or almost any ground meat or fish .....or piece of shrimp . Fish are curious and will take a look at anything different around them . The latest fast fff (fast fish food) I read about was a piece of hotdog and also the fatty part of raw bacon . I have some smelts in the freezer ....they can be used whole , chunked up or wrapped in a roe bag ....the smell alone should catch every cat in town . :Gonefishing:

Foam ear plugs work better, they don't melt.

Cigarette butts will work in a pinch, duMaurier > Player's

One of my best nights on the piers was using a piece of blue foam insulation cut up into small pieces.

No, salmon don't actually eat any of that crap, or marshmallows, but it hooks them more or less legally.

Salmon love the mellows guys...come on...lol. One year a guy won the Owen Sound derby of the breakwall and his fish was caught on a cigarette butt. Salmon really on feed out of aggression when first entering the river, after that they shut down. Like mentioned most of them caught after they have been in the river a few weeks are flossed or force fed. If you look closely you will often see the hook is in the mouth....the OUTSIDE of the mouth. Usually a legit take is inside the mouth in the upper snout. You can debate flossing until the cows come home....some say its hooked in the mouth and its legal. Just venture to the Credit one day and watch...you will see the rippping of the line constantly. Having said that, they will take single eggs and flys if put right in front of them out of aggression....to do this you need to sight fish. All the floating stuff is flossing as far as I am concerned.....foam, mellows, butts....yeh fish smoke...lol

Salmon love the mellows guys...come on...lol. One year a guy won the Owen Sound derby of the breakwall and his fish was caught on a cigarette butt.

I was fishing the wall when he caught that, duMaurier Extra Light!

Salmon really on feed out of aggression when first entering the river, after that they shut down. Like mentioned most of them caught after they have been in the river a few weeks are flossed or force fed. If you look closely you will often see the hook is in the mouth....the OUTSIDE of the mouth. Usually a legit take is inside the mouth in the upper snout.

Uh actually no, that's a floss. A legit take will be deep inside, anything forward of the jaw hinge is a floss. Chinooks in the river are probably the hardest fish to get to take, but the easiest to floss. They don't exactly swim around snapping at anything floating by. Those would be steelhead, they're pretty simple to catch by comparison. :D

I was fishing the wall when he caught that, duMaurier Extra Light!

Uh actually no, that's a floss. A legit take will be deep inside, anything forward of the jaw hinge is a floss. Chinooks in the river are probably the hardest fish to get to take, but the easiest to floss. They don't exactly swim around snapping at anything floating by. Those would be steelhead, they're pretty simple to catch by comparison. :D

You could be right on that as well.....I pressumed that if it was inside the mouth it was a take, but you know....you might also be right it being a floss. I have seen lots with the hook in the jaw outside the mouth...for sure thats a floss.

Here's what a legit take looks like.

SalmonSkein.jpg

Dark fish will eat eggs, and floating skein through slow current breaks or estuaries can be gangbusters when they're on. But remember these fish have spent their lives in hundreds of feet of water, they get real skittish in skinny water.

It's still way early to start flossing anyway, plunking only really starts to work well near September when the fish are real dark.

Glo spoons are the tool of choice in August.

Lmao "heres what a legit take looks like"? Ya ur right every fish hits the same way ahahaha.

Do u have ur phd in fishology? Maybe baitology

The people who debate "flossing"are people who can't catch fish neways then get mad and say stupid things

Flossing a fish happens when u cast infront a run of fish ina stream and yank but w/e this is my last post about this seems to me people on here think they know everything or makes them feel good that they"know something" truth of it all is u can debate till ur face turns as black as arotting salmon but u can never say 100 percent either way unless u actually see it with ur own eyes and looking at ur pic I could say u flossed that fish......but im no doctor such as yourself

LOL....your too much Doc...Let the Salmon season officially be open.....LOL. Ususally the donny brooks should break out anytime now over the almighty Salmon. LOL . Seems like this crap goes down every season.....its getting so old now guys....who cares?? If the hooks in the mouth, its good. If its in the tail its no good. Pretty simple??

Archived