Bass Boat Vs. Aluminum Side Console

canadianfcat

Still searching for a fishing boat in the $2500 range but it's tough.

I've found a couple of bass boats as opposed to a side console aluminum with casting deck.

For the record i'll mainly be fishing the Welland River (trailers there) and Lake Erie and Up north on occasion.

Partners range from the wife and two kids (7-10) or a couple of buddies.

I guess my main issue is whats the draw backs of the bass boat style?

Thanks for anyones insight as it'll be my first purchase.

The first draw back is the bass boat is heavier. If you are going on Erie you want a boat at least 17' as the waves can be choppy.

I prefer the bass boat as I like the stability of the boat and the fishibility.

I'd be wary of buying a bass boat that inexpensive as there may be major problems. Make sure the boat is sound and take it on the water and run everything. Fixing plumbing or wiring can be a real pain as accessibility to things are usually limited.

Good luck!

my bass boat is not the most family friendly macine,,,it is basicaly a big casting platform.have had the wife and kids on it and they enjoy it but i know they want a little more comfort when on the water,,it is great for fishing which it what it was designed for so if the family is going to be on it alot i would go with sid console alum. if you are going to be fishing on it most of the time go with the bass boat,,,it will be tough to get something decent for that kind of money...realistly you are probably looking 5 to 6 thousand and up to get a reliable good machine

Again on the price thing, for that money your chances of finding a bass boat that would have the reliability you need is pretty much zero. A fiberglass boat is very nice to have on Erie so you don't break your spine, but with lighter aluminum you use less gas. Both on the water and definately while towing!! Your more likely to find a good deal on aluminum boats because there are just so many of them around.

On ANY boat you buy, the majority of the cash should be invested in a solid motor and not all the fancy glitter. Keep this in mind when shopping and don't get caught up in fancy gadgets that look cool but are practically useless.

A shiny Lund aluminum with new carpet and a 1971 mercury 40hp for $2500?

Or a banged up tinner that smells like death with a 2006 mercury 20hp?

I know what I'd pick.

Archived