Mistaken Identity

Frank81

This fellow in the Finger Lakes wine region of New York state (a place I frequent quite often) was deer hunting when he THOUGHT he shot a deer.

http://www.fingerlakesdailynews.com/news/details.cfm?clientid=16&id=14969

It pisses me off to no end when people shoot without knowing what they are shooting at.

This fellow in the Finger Lakes wine region of New York state (a place I frequent quite often) was deer hunting when he THOUGHT he shot a deer.

http://www.fingerlak...tid=16&id=14969

It pisses me off to no end when people shoot without knowing what they are shooting at.

You're right. Those hunters should have correctly identified those animals as elk, called in the authorities and let the authorities shoot those elk. Escaped farmed elk have no business among wild deer populations.

yepper if you want to see CWD come even closer let farmed animals mix n mingle with the wild ones. Call the authorities so they can figure out which farmer was negligent and determine if there are anymore. To the original post though I couldn't agree more about ID. If you can't positively ID the species and sex you have no business taking the safety off.

This was posted on a stock car racing forum that I frequent in regards to this same story..... Are people really this pathetic? ...

"bout 20yrs ago, a guy was hunting on my uncles farm, didnt have permission(a city guy as well) came walking in the barn as my uncle was getting ready to milk and asked if he would drag his deer out with a tractor, my uncle looked at him kinda strange and ask him why he coulda drag it, the dude says all proud, cant its to big i cant even move it, right then it hit my uncle and he says, oh, you got one of them big black and white ones, guy says ya i sure did. my uncle just looked at my aunt and said call joe, who was a sheriff deputy that was friends with them. that guy was really surprised when they got back with his deer and a cop was standing there. guy had never hunted and didnt even know what a deer looked like."

Sounds like an urban legend.

Sadly, not entirely an urban legend. I've helped drag a cow out from the edge of a field once out in Bolton ( back when that was 40 minutes from the suburbs) No mistaking the big exit wound from a rifle.

I'm sure we all know somone or other who's been peppered with birdshot. or had a near miss, from some pathetic excuse for a hunter.

Archived