Beaver 's

larry b

Seen 10 trees in a small area down in the gorge where a beaver has been chewing the bottoms

Seems like they're everywhere! I've seen so many trees chewed down in the little river behind my place. Seen one and he's only a little guy.

Seems like they're everywhere! I've seen so many trees chewed down in the little river behind my place. Seen one and he's only a little guy.

Last year at this time, every Trib (Gta) was totally frozen over.

I managed to find a couple holes .... and look who came out to visit one time:

WeirHoleBeaver.jpg

]Felloutthehole.jpg

Last year at this time, every Trib (Gta) was totally frozen over.

I managed to find a couple holes .... and look who came out to visit one time:

WeirHoleBeaver.jpg

]Felloutthehole.jpg

HA... these pictures are great! I have never seen a beaver come through the ice. Thanks for sharing.

Just remember these cute animals are still wild, do not attemp to pet them ( they are also carriers of rabies and distemper so watch for them acting strangely) and never drink from the water they are in to avoid sickness if you not sure what this is, worst case of diarhea you could ever ask for.

I've seen lots in my travel never hooked 1 either but have hooked a muskrat on a fly rod with a royal coachman that was interesting at least landing and realeasing it.

Nice pics thanks for sharing

Just remember these cute animals are still wild, do not attemp to pet them ( they are also carriers of rabies and distemper so watch for them acting strangely) and never drink from the water they are in to avoid sickness if you not sure what this is, worst case of diarhea you could ever ask for.

I've seen lots in my travel never hooked 1 either but have hooked a muskrat on a fly rod with a royal coachman that was interesting at least landing and realeasing it.

Beaver fever. :P

They make creepy sounds when they mate. Right before the sunset last summer I heard some sounds I've never heard before out in the bush, only to find Mr. Beaver having his way with a female beaver, haha, at least I think it was a pair.

Up north I've seen a lodge dam up enough water that down stream of the lodge the creek had turned into a trickle, there is a constant battle between man vs. beaver ( the animal ). Be careful wading through creeks, if there is a stick in the creek that look suspicious, steer clear, possible beaver trap.

I can only imagine how brutal it was.. I caught a seagull once... boy was that a mess X.X

The lower river huh? That would be hilarious if they dammed it up. I've seen evidence of them in the shorthills too. A bunch of trees chewed down in typical beaver fashion.

They must be going crazy in the gorge with all the running water. I was watching an episode of Canadian Geographic, they were talking about how at the southern tip of South America, beavers are an invasive species. As an experiment they put some speakers out there that were constantly playing the sound of running water. When they came back a few days later, the beavers had covered them up with mud, and sticks/logs so that the noise didn't bother them.

Some cool stories, I have been splashed a few times by them. They scare the heck outta when ya don't know your next to one and they go under. Guess we can't be doing to bad for pollution around here with all this wildlife coming back?

I once had a beaver charge at me in Jordin on the trail behind the winery .It was coming up from the river to the pond behind the winery as I was rounding the corner on the trail.We were within 3' of each other when it started to charge!I ran til I heard a splash,he was in the pond lmao that scared the crap out of me

Yeah, them beavers can be mean. And I'm not just talking about 18 years of imprisonment and infectious diseases either

From a few years ago:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2010/07/15/red-deer-killer-beavers-dogs-park-attack-alberta.html

eople in Red Deer, Alta., want the city to move, rather than kill, beavers that have attacked at least six dogs in an off-leash park.

Six beaver attacks in the last two weeks have been confirmed at Three Mile Bend, an off-leash park in the central Alberta city. A husky died of its injuries, while other dogs are recovering from their tangles with the rodents.

Most dogs were swimming after the beavers in the park's ponds when the attacks occurred.

Penny, an eight-year-old Labrador cross, suffered a 7.5-centimetre wound on her backside, said owner Trudy Maygard. When the bleeding dog was taken to the vet the next day, seven wounds were found.

Parks supervisor Trevor Poth said Wednesday that the beavers would have to be trapped and killed because of the severity of the attacks. But most dog owners said they don't blame the beavers.

"I don't think killing an animal is going to be a solution to anything," said Janelle McMurray.

tp-cgy-red-deer-park.jpgThree Mile Bend is a popular off-leash area for dogs, and the pond is also home to up to a dozen beavers. (CBC)

"It is a natural animal. It is up to dog owners around here to make sure their dogs aren't bugging it," said Brad Cotter.

Added Carrie McAunaul: "They're protecting their kids, and you can't blame them."

Media attention has led to offers from private property owners to allow the beavers to live on their land, Poth told CBC News on Thursday. Parks staff are exploring those options, but killing the beavers has not been ruled out as a worst-case scenario.

This is the first time there have been any problems with aggressive wildlife in the park's 20-year history, said Poth. About six to 12 beavers live at Three Mile Bend, he said.

The city is expected to decide on the beavers' fate in the next two weeks.

The beaver population has exploded in Niagara . They have downed many trees from the Niagara River to Short Hills Park . They have dropped many large trees into the 12 Mile Creek & ruined some very good fishing holes, clogged with trees . Small streams like the upper 12 Mile can be blocked up & must be opened up by people . I have seen two beavers killed at Port Dalhousie by vehicles as the crossed the heavy traffic there. Their numbers must be controlled since they are an animal that needs much more room in the wilderness to survive naturally . Cull , trap or relocate , we need to do the right thing .

The beaver population has exploded in Niagara . They have downed many trees from the Niagara River to Short Hills Park . They have dropped many large trees into the 12 Mile Creek & ruined some very good fishing holes, clogged with trees . Small streams like the upper 12 Mile can be blocked up & must be opened up by people . I have seen two beavers killed at Port Dalhousie by vehicles as the crossed the heavy traffic there. Their numbers must be controlled since they are an animal that needs much more room in the wilderness to survive naturally . Cull , trap or relocate , we need to do the right thing .

The biggest beavers I've seen around the region have been ones in the 12 Mile (right around Welland Vale). They don't seem to be too shy of humans either!

I agree with smerchly that control measures are needed. Some information on this, there are 2800 registered traplines on crown land the trapper assigned that area has exclusive rights. The province has a quota system in place trappers at least for beaver are required to harvest 75% of their quota.Trapping on private land is done with the permission of the land owner, and a licence is required yearly for all. there are problems for the trapper for some it's the time or money issue then there is theft and carcass disposal also. With theft a single 330 conibear trap is over $30 it hurts when the Johny Sneakums do this. Depending on the size of the beaver 40-60 lbs or bigger carrying them out may not be an option, when I was trapping, normally I would rough skin the animal and leave the carcass for other animals (Not public property). When it comes to time or money some are professional trappers and time is money so the more animals you can harvest the better. Last point public safety for both people and their pets. The 330 Conibear trap is very dangerous refered to as an instant kill trap. So from a trappers stand point some places just aren't worth the effort or the hassle.

I can not see a husky getting killed by a beaver... I just picture my husky. And that beaver would be in trouble.... There just to... "springy" all over the place. I guess if it was swimming, But on land there is no way! And for red deer. I would start killing them off. Because not just the attacks on the dogs. But the devastation they are doing to the trees. etc etc! Atleast to curb down on the population.

I can not see a husky getting killed by a beaver... I just picture my husky. And that beaver would be in trouble.... There just to... "springy" all over the place. I guess if it was swimming, But on land there is no way! And for red deer. I would start killing them off. Because not just the attacks on the dogs. But the devastation they are doing to the trees. etc etc! Atleast to curb down on the population.

Most dogs were swimming after the beavers in the park's ponds when the attacks occurred.

The beavers likely felt threatened. I would hate to see my dog killed by a beaver, and I would try to intervene if I could. at least to get the dog away, but the beavers are just wild animals defending themselves against a percieved threat.

Beavers were here long before whitey ever was, we killed off a ton of them and they eventually made their way back.

I certainly agree that we should keep an eye on them and do what we can to prevent property damage and so on, but they're just doing what beavers do.

Archived