Welland Courthouse Fishing

YakFisher

So I tried the courthouse spot for the first time yesterday hoping to get some walleye or pike, the water was like chocolate milk and it was windy as hell.

I didnt fish long but didnt see any action and not a single bite. I was fishing with plastic minnows and grubs on a jig. then threw some diving crank baits.

can anyone share some secrets to success on this particular spot? where were you casting?, techniques, etc.

thanks

I think all the fish have left that area for the winter, :P

Honestley though, I fished by the court house and down at the public boat launch (river rd) last week and was float fishing with live shiners and pinhead minnows even tried jigging with them too, and I never caught a thing, not even a hit.

Usually from spring through summer and fall you can get pan fish, sheephead, channel cats, pike and odd walleye in those spots but I've had no luck with anything there this winter.

So I tried the courthouse spot for the first time yesterday hoping to get some walleye or pike, the water was like chocolate milk and it was windy as hell.

I didnt fish long but didnt see any action and not a single bite. I was fishing with plastic minnows and grubs on a jig. then threw some diving crank baits.

can anyone share some secrets to success on this particular spot? where were you casting?, techniques, etc.

thanks

I applaud your efforts but I find those spots best produce after May 15 when Ontario Hydro backs the river up and the current flows west, the river becomes clearer... the Rec Canal would likely give up something to your techniques this time of year. I live on the river and this weather is giving me crazy thoughts like putting my dock back out etc.

mud bottoms makes for great chocolate milk. i fish the river quite a bit, some advice is if your fishing off the aqueduct and the wind is up, dont bother, i take a look at the current there as well, if its movin good, dont waste ur time

mud bottoms makes for great chocolate milk. i fish the river quite a bit, some advice is if your fishing off the aqueduct and the wind is up, dont bother, i take a look at the current there as well, if its movin good, dont waste ur time. i have had best luck late at night i mean late into the morning, simply using jigs, theres also some "holes" off the bridge as well, those are where u want to be dropping

I haven't even tried fishing the holes off the bridge since they added a pole in height when they did construction years ago, :wall:

I use to catch crappie in those holes years ago and a whole whack of big carp and channel cats, ....do the Crappie still run through there?

I haven't even tried fishing the holes off the bridge since they added a pole in height when they did construction years ago, :wall:

I use to catch crappie in those holes years ago and a whole whack of big carp and channel cats, ....do the Crappie still run through there?

You can still get crappie

You can still get crappie there but best in fall, an hour before light runs out, you can get nice perch there to. Theres a lot of walleye there as well, just have to find which hole there in

Good to know, guess I will give the bridge a shot this spring, I already know that those poles (safety barrier) are going to drive me nuts lol.

Thanks

me and my buddy fished the welland by the aquaduct for the first time last july out of our canoe and did amazing, first time out got a bunch of walleye, pike, sm and lm mouth bass, panfish and even a musky, only fished it 2 other times last year and did great on the walleye pike and bass, definately gonna hit it a bunch this season

Some people tell fish storyes;). I fish there most nights 4 till 11 or 12 in the spring summer and fall.I put my aqua vew down the holes all the time.

Yes theres fish there but there getting harder to find and catch.Most get the skunks butt.The fishing in getting worse every year.Fish around the woodlawn and 406 bridge theres more walleyes around there.

WRC

i go at anywhere from 2-5am, but yeah its deffinetly going to get worse with time, because of all the "dirt bags" (sorry) who cacth em with dip nets, keep well over there limits and half of them arent even liscened.

Not everyone who uses a dipnet in the Welland River Aqueduct (when in season) catches over their limits, I've never taken anything home. Lift, Look, Release.

However, if you see guys keeping OOS fish or going over their limit, then call the MNR tip line. I don't know why they aren't down there anymore, years ago especially during net season they would be there monitoring all the time.

Keep posting all the local hotspots, but don't cry when the fish are gone and there is no room for you to fish because of the crowd and mess.

Theres already no room there, its shoulder to shoulder in the summer and fall, this "hotspot" been out of the bag for a while clearly

netting season? i've never heard of that. why would the mnr allow that?

It is stated in the regs, in Zones 16, 19 & 20 we are allowed to use dip nets only for....

Smelt - March 1st to May 31st - No Limit

White Sucker - March 1st to May 31st - No Limit

Carp - May 1st to July 31st - No Limit

Other than the dip nets, we are also allowed to use seine nets, for White Suckers and Carp we are also allowed to use bow and arrow or spears.

The problem with the dipnets is some inconsiderate people will catch catfish, perch, crappie, bowfins, pike etc... and will keep them, landing one of those species or any other is over the limit as they are not permitted to be netted.

Also, Ricky33 is correct, no one is letting the cat out of the bag on this spot, people from all over Niagara, Hamilton, Toronto, New York & Pennsylvania have and do fish here.

thanks for all the replies. lots of things to touch on.

the only reason I tried the spot is because Italo labignan (sp?) has posted on his blog and website several times about welland river walleye fishing at the courthouse and he has a national fishing show. I figured he couldnt be wrong.

I just so badly want the weather to be nice again so I get the kayak back out, dip my feet in the water and not get hypothermia

Archived