Smelt At Queenston

sooner

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the water has to be a few degres warmer,does anyone know the water temp down there today?maybe around 35.Does anyone know what temp brings them in to shore area at night?

I think the water has to be a few degres warmer,does anyone know the water temp down there today?maybe around 35.Does anyone know what temp brings them in to shore area at night?

Check the NFN Weather Station for up-to-date water temps :) Right now the mouth of the Upper is 38F...surface temps are prob getting closer to 40F during the day! Almost at that magical mark!

If ya never been to it in recent years it is worth checking out! Bring a camera instead of a net, cause even if ya get there early you will get crowded out by people who claim to not speak english... Once the Police arrive they learn to speak the language, its a very magical time of the year!

It's all good,I have been informed that this season is going to be an interesting one in regards

to fines and who will be down there in regards to law officials.

AwolRJ , you crack me up! "Magical time of the year".....awesome!

Are you serious ?

There are actually that many people that show up for this ?

I just looked at the MNR.GOV site and could not find anything on limits or the season restrictions for smelts in zone 20.

I am really surprised that this one species of fish would attract so much attention.....

Cam

no limits i dont think. i ran into a couple of guys fishing down there this summer, they said lots of out of towners come down & grab em with no regard, leave them all over the parking lots. i guess the people of queenston are beyond unhappy with it, but i dont think there is much they can do.

They are an invasive species! Take them all!

Besides they're full of mercury so let the slobs who litter the place eat as many as they can.

Last year the NPC was seriously considering closing this area off to shore fishing. Perhaps it would be a good thing just for the smelt run.

They are an invasive species! Take them all!

Besides they're full of mercury so let the slobs who litter the place eat as many as they can.

Last year the NPC was seriously considering closing this area off to shore fishing. Perhaps it would be a good thing just for the smelt run.

OH NO,your turning into (1 of them).LOL.I love smelt fishing,please don't take away my spot for tasty mercury treats!Thanks cndvizsla for the update,much appreciated.

Not sure where my other post went?...but also I have taken a walk through the crowd and seen other fish other then smelt in there pails and tried to explain you can only keep smelt, not perch or bass and so on and they just look at ya :huh: "the fisher people"and go back to fishing, pisses ya off.. hope the CO's are down there full force and start laying fines..

Maybe the mnr is happy to see tons of smelt taken out of the river . I have to question the fish eating guide lines sometimes since the smelts are a big part of some peoples diet . Thinking out side of the box (as usual) , could it be , the powers that be , would rather have us buy our fish from the big fish companies ? I do not put much trust into anything the government tells me what is good for me ........ :Gonefishing:

Not sure where my other post went?...but also I have taken a walk through the crowd and seen other fish other then smelt in there pails and tried to explain you can only keep smelt, not perch or bass and so on and they just look at ya :huh: "the fisher people"and go back to fishing, pisses ya off.. hope the CO's are down there full force and start laying fines..

You mean the post with your racially motivated undertone? -You know very well what happened to it..

Why would smelt have more mercury in them (pound for pound) than any other specie? Is this a throwback to the old days where Lake Erie/Niagara River were the most polluted water bodies in Southern Ontario? They bottom feed less that say perch or bass.

Exactly ! There's a fish farm in the Dunnville area that is closed because the fish are diseased . I know what they feed store bought fish coming from the Pacific Rim and our own fish farms . The difference is on par with buying chicken/beef /pork meat with venison or moose meat , and you can add many imported veggies to the list also . I hope to get a few good meals of smelt (local) this year & freeze the small ones in a bag of water for my pike buddies . B)

I can honestly say I have never had smelt or fished for them... but I would love to try them!... I am assuming you gut them? what could you compare eating smelt too?

G

They are a slightly oily fish, yet pretty mild. Fresh have a smell of sliced cucumber. In hot oil a dip in flour and 20 seconds a side is all that's needed for cooking. I love jigging for them through the ice.

That's a first for me .....smelts smelling like a cuc . Most fish I catch locally have their own unique scent , which changes slightly in different waters . I have cleaned crappies from the Fr.R. area in the summer & they really stunk ! :skunk: . Pike slime scent is hard to remove from your hands ,,,,smells very strong ,yet tastes neutral . Herring are very strong scented and bass have a smell of their own ......I have also cleaned some strong smelling perch caught near the narrows at L.Simcoe . Some of these smelly fish must have a different diet or the water is tainted with something . So , if smelts smell like cucs. king salmon should also smell like a cuc ? Has anyone sniffed a salmon lately ? :crazy:

OH NO,your turning into (1 of them).LOL.I love smelt fishing,please don't take away my spot for tasty mercury treats!Thanks cndvizsla for the update,much appreciated.

I don't understand what you mean but anyone who throws their trash around like that has zero percent of my respect. That spot is the worst that I know of and I do talk with the Niagara Parks who have indicated it is easier to close then police. The parks police and CO's have to put their worry of politics aside and treat everyone the same.

I love eating smelts they are quite different from other fish so Gerritt give em a try. just eat them in moderation. I eat about a dozen smelts at least a half dozen times through the winter.

Archived