Smelt At Queenston

sooner

Hey Dan,I meant 1 of the one's that have a favorite saying of 'close it off'.You live in fort erie so i assume you see all the trash in the field's,qew off ramps,etc.Anywhere there are people (pig's)will have a hell of a mess.They would have to close everything.Parks,whirlpool,all fishin spots have been hit by the slob's,realy everywhere.It is sad & i do my part to keep areas tidy.I have been hiking the last few week's and can't believe where people put there trash.Nothing sacred anymore,even up north. :deadhorse:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am planning on going down tonight,Goin to try from the boat in front of the old dock that is now fenced off.Hopfully i will be able to launch without a problem tonight.

Just got in from queenston & not a single smelt to be seen yet.The water temp was 38.6,a bit too cold i think.I will try again in a week or two.

I am down at Queenston right now and there are a few people bringing some in. They are netting around a dozen or so but not on every throw of the net. So looks like the run is just starting. They should be heavier in a few more days.

Thanks AC/DC for the info & basscrazy i am not sure if you would be able to use fishing rod at night down there.We catch them ice fishing during the day but that is much easier because there is no current,you have to use a tiny hook and a smelt eye or piece of cotton for bait.I would say it is not worth trying it down there but if you feel like it give it a try.U never know.

My father used to use a piece of foil from a cigarette package on the hooks (through the ice) ... I'm sure you could get them on a hook& line, but not during the 3-ring circus that goes on down there when they're in at full run.... It's hard enough to keep your spot when you're dipping a net. People will try and push in right on top of you...And believe me 20-25 5-gal buckets full are not enough for most guys down there...

3 Ring Circus is putting it mildly! lol It is crazy down there! Most people don't believe me when I tell them! It is something that you have to see for yourself. I went last year and I couldn't believe my eyes! You had to park in the upper part and walk down to the water. I found a spot and when my net broke, there was at least 5 people jockeying for my spot. I am honestly surprised that nobody fell in! I went and repaired my net, and when I returned, I couldn't get a spot. So I was lucky to find another place that was quiet and nobody there to shove you around. I had a good time got a few small buckets for family, friends and myself and left. The mayhem that is Queenston when the smelts are running is disgusting! I saw the same people down there all week long with panel vans and vats in the back. They would fill them, drive them up to Toronto while their friends continued smelting and then came back for more. If you go to China town in Toronto, you see them everywhere for sale and they are not cheap. When I was speaking to the officer from MNR down there, they said if they have licenses, then they can take as much as they want. It is very sad to see. I have smelt fished as a child and have fond memories of this annual event and of the offshore fish fry afterwards. I wonder if our children or our grandchildren will be able to have this experience if this abuse of nature continues.

"if they have licenses, they can take as many as they want" . Well , thanks for the info , I can make some extra money selling 100 perch per day @ $10. per pound .....good deal ! :santa: Actually , yes, they can take smelt by the ton but not "sell" them . Bartering , well that happens all the time ! :)

Yes, I understand that they can take as many smelt as they want but i still think they are abusing the resource. If this keeps up, smelting will be a thing of the past. I can't imagine smelt being able to sustain itself when they are being netted by the millions/billions each year. And I can only speak of what i see on this side of the river. I know across, on the US side, I see their shorelines all lit up with people smelting but I don't know if they have people hauling out vats of them. Perhaps they should crack down on the people selling them. Even if it is smelt, and you can take as much as you want, shouldn't you have a commercial license if you are going to sell them? So wouldn't that be against regulation?

We used to get them in the fifty's & sixty's when the run was so heavy nets were breaking trying to lift a bushel of them at each dip . Lake Ont , Port Dal..Jordan Harbour , & the Niag .R.& Erie was loaded with smelt , some over 12" . Farmers were using them for fertilizer ! When the salmon were at full swing , the smelt pop. slowed down due to their voracious appetites & the smelts have since spread to other lakes like Simcoe . The MNR is fully aware what is happening & I doubt they will make any changes in the regs. with smelt netting.

btw......I need a new 6' smelt net , not the frame ......who sells them with the small mesh ?

AC/DC I'm NOT defending these people but smelts are invasive. It's a resource the ministry would like to do without. Why do you think they introduced king salmon in the first place. These people have been exploiting this resource since the smelts became a problem and look at the run last year. It was massive and seemed like it would never end! Why do you think its illegal to use live smelt in so many places for bait. They don't want them spreading farther into other lakes. Let these people take as many as they possibly can.

Can they sell them? I personally don't care but they shouldn't be allowed to break the law because it won't stop at smelts (if it's actually illegal). I imagine they'd need a harvesters licence for that. Selling perch will definitely get you blown in by anyone on this forum.

The biggest problem with this crew (the three ring circus) is the litter followed by trespassing. This we should NOT stand for!

This subject comes up every year and has been beaten to death :deadhorse: . I think we all know what the problem is at Queenston . The River is a big body of water and it's too bad there are so few spots to net for smelts . The biggest problem is garbage & that may eventually get the place closed to anglers . Selling any fish without a license is illegal but we know it happens & will not change . I can buy all the walleye I want from people in the Quinte area, or perch or pike .........The rules do not apply to all ........Learn to live with it .

This happens almost everywhere the smelts run.. I know that it can get ridiculous at lake simcoe, when these buggers run. I personally could care less if people want to take them by the bucket load..as they are an invasive species.

As chilli mentioned, it's the garbage left behind that is the real issue. .

I personally don't agree with people taking 40 jumbo perch or an equal amount of crappie, each and every outing, ( I don't see people up in arms ..) but I think smerchly hit the nail on the head when he said "learn to live with it"

-So I do...

This happens almost everywhere the smelts run.. I know that it can get ridiculous at lake simcoe, when these buggers run. I personally could care less if people want to take them by the bucket load..as they are an invasive species.

As chilli mentioned, it's the garbage left behind that is the real issue. .

I personally don't agree with people taking 40 jumbo perch or an equal amount of crappie, each and every outing, ( I don't see people up in arms ..) but I think smerchly hit the nail on the head when he said "learn to live with it"

-So I do...

Well i'm sure if most of the people that fish the smelt down there had boats they would be taking there limit of perch too, meat hunters.......

Archived