Smelt At Queenston

sooner

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the next full moon is this Friday. Hopefully it will be a 'Good Fry-day' for smelt. :pardon:

Ya I might go down with the nieghbor this weekend, him and his wife would like some. Thats the thing there is plenty for everyone, if they are running thick no need to stay down there all night and fill your suv with them, but people get greedy I guess...

I was planning on going tonight but it might be worth waiting another week . I made a little set up with a 12 volt battery , a sealed beam headlight and a hand dolly . Some smelt will eventually come into other places ..........

Well Smelting was a bust tonight. We went down to Queenston and the docks were full, as per usual around this time, they were catching some but they were working hard for whatever they got. They are getting bigger but still quite small yet. The run is not quite heavy enough to be worth while.

Wow...look at the views on this thread! I think it needs a spot in the 'Species Specific' section? ;)

The thread view count is so high due to all the Toronto types waiting for the good word

The thread view count is so high due to all the Toronto types waiting for the good word

errr all the smelt are dead.. there are no more smelt left in the river this year........

Tried Port D and Queenston tonight. Zero at Port D but you could nearly walk across the water for all the minnows...Queenston was crowded but the smelt were far and few between. I'll have to wait until next weekend to try again.

Fat moon last night davican , I thought you would do well down there . The cooler weather may have some effect , but it's only early April and usual temps.

went to qeenston last night. when we first got there at around 9 anoud we could see alot of smelt and we caught in the net but at like 10:30 it slowed down and we were get 1 or 2 smelts in the net

ACDC I'd still like to hear more about the DEC managing smelts. I viewed their regs and like the other species you are allowed to dip net for your limit is 8 quarts. I also found the following about bait.

other Baitfish

In addition to the “Green List,” the following baitfish may be purchased

and used in specified waters and their tributaries to the first impassable barrier only. They are not included on the “Green List” for a

variety of reasons including potential negative impacts on native fish

populations (i.e. alewife predation on walleye fry) or they are Marine

District species.

• Rainbow smelt: Canadice Lake; Canandaigua Lake; Cayuga Lake;

Cayuta Lake; Conesus Lake; First, Second, Third, Fourth, and Fifth

lakes of the Fulton Chain; Hemlock Lake; Honeoye Lake; Keuka Lake;

Lake Champlain; Lamoka Lake; Lake Ontario; Lake Erie; Owasco

Lake; Seneca Lake; Star Lake (St. Lawrence County); Waneta Lake;

the St. Lawrence River; and the Niagara River.

I'm not arguing with you, I just found the idea of managing an invasive for the purpose of preserving them a radical idea. If you hear anymore about this please share it B)

OK guys I was in Mexico for a week,just got back and seen this, FELT I had to READ every one's reply .I LOVE this site

this story is like a train wreck and I"M wait for something to happen.

OK guys I was in Mexico for a week,just got back and seen this, FELT I had to READ every one's reply .I LOVE this site

this story is like a train wreck and I"M wait for something to happen.

Nothing will happen!!!

If you can find a spot there you are a better spot finder than I am, haha . We fished in another spot on the River last night and only got a few keepers , the rest only 4-5" .....good for bait later . I have about a dozen .....just enough for a taste .

Hey Dan ....thank you for giving me most of the smelts for todays dinner . My 4 ft. net really doesn't catch many ....need to dye it a dark colour again . The old dye doesn't last too long on the nylon/poly fabric. I'll drop it back in the dye el pronto, now that you mentioned it ! :)

Archived