Salt Potatoes

hammercarp

One of the side benefits of fishing carp and joining a carp club like ours is that because carp are so wide spread you get to interact with people from all over and learn about a lot of different stuff . One of the great things I learned about is salt potatoes. They taste great! Not salty at all. The recipe originated in northern New York state around Syracuse. There are salt mines there and they were worked by Irish immigrants. We all know that the Irish ate a lot of potatoes. At the salt plants where these guys worked they would make table salt by adding water to rock salt and heating it. The salt would dissolve and the impurities would sink to the bottom. The hot brine was tapped off and evaporated leaving behind pure salt. The Irish workers would take their potatoes and drop them into the boiling brine. When done in about 30 minutes lunch was ready.

You take a big pot like an 8 liter stock pot or bigger. fill about 2/3's with water and dump a whole box of salt into it. That's right. the whole box. Stir until the salt dissolves. Add 8 to 12 potatoes, whole and unpeeled . Choose ones that are about the same size. This will make sure they are all done at the same time. Get the water boiling and cook for about 30 minutes. Remove them from the brine and allow them to drain . Don't wash or wipe or do anything else to them Take about a 1/4 lb of butter and add it to them Or you can zap the butter in the microwave and pour it over them . Serve immediately. You can cut them up and spoon some of the melted butter over them . They are to die for.

I've been eating Salt Potatoes for YEARS! I spend my most of my summer in New York State, mainly the Finger Lakes Region going to dirt stock car race tracks and most of the tracks around there sell salt potatoes at their canteens. They are awesome!

I enjoy eating cold left over boiled spuds . It looks like a good thing to take some of those salties along in a fishing bag Lorne . Add some smoked fish & a drink we're all set ! :wub:

Is that not a recipe for a heart attack? lol ........a box of salt and a half pound of butter. I wonder what my doctor would say to that ? He told me already, that if it tastes good to spit it out. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I've also heard of salted fish. Gut the fish and mound up rock salt over it until completely covered, then bake. When done the salt all comes off like a shell. Haven't tried it myself, but apparently it's quite the delicacy.

Sound like a plan Lorne ! I'm sure most of us have heard about or have eaten fish cakes . It's made from left over fish , and potatoes & onion is added to make patties similar to a burger . I'll bet the salt potatoes would make those patties even better :wub: ......now I'm drooling .........

I've also heard of salted fish. Gut the fish and mound up rock salt over it until completely covered, then bake. When done the salt all comes off like a shell. Haven't tried it myself, but apparently it's quite the delicacy.

I have seen it done on TV using a whole chicken . You need about 10 lbs of salt and then a jack hammer to break it open.

Archived