Fish Finder For Canoe

niagarangler89

I've been looking at the Lowrance X-4 series of fish finders. I was just wondering for those of you who've equipped your canoe (or kayak) with a fish finder, what is the best type of transducer to get?

Would a transom-mount one work for a canoe? I've read that anything sitting below the canoe will cause surface drag, affecting the dynamics of the canoe. I've also read they transom-mount transducers are more prone to collecting surface debris, which can be a pain in the butt. These don't seem like huge issues to me, but I have very little experience canoe fishing, so any input from someone more in the know would be appreciated.

There are also the portable X-4s, but they have the same issue with the transducer being below the canoe.

Another option would be a "shoot-through-the-hull" transducer-type finder. I have a glass canoe, so in theory it should work fine. The catch is that if any of the layers in the hull have air bubbles, it could have a negative effect on the quality of the image produced.

My preference would be the transom-mount Lowrance X-4. For 80 bucks and the great reviews, it seems like it's hard to go wrong. Just wanted to see what you guys thought before I made a purchase.

Thanks!

Edit: Also, what would be a good battery for a 14 foot canoe? I'd probably want something with more than enough juice for just the fish finder because I might eventually get a small electric trolling motor, but it can't be overly heavy either. Taking all that into consideration, I might just go with the portable FF for now. Still would appreciate any feedback!

I would go through the hull,I know of a few people who went that way without any issues.Then you have no chance of getting it caught in fallen trees or hitting it while loading/unloading.Take it for a test run & just hold the transducer to the floor to see if it works good in that spot BEFORE using adhesive.As for batterys i am not sure if you can use anything other then the standard size (car size) but get a deep cycle.Do not get a Nautilus from crappy tire as they are the worst but maybe a good anchor!I have had luck with energizers from walmart that are on the cheap end.

You'll want a SLA battery, something that can't spill. The X-4 is a good unit, I have a PiranhaMAX 160 for my yak. It works well enough. I ran with a suction cup transducer mount last summer, This year I've built a mount that I can drop in and out when needed.

Thanks guys! I'll see if I can find any of the through-the-hull ones for a good price. As an alternative I guess I could always get the portable suction cup one and remove it when loading/unloading, storing, going through thick brush, etc.

This year I've built a mount that I can drop in and out when needed.

Dogman, any chance you'd be able to post a picture of that? Sounds like a good idea.

I picked up a humminbird 160 portable last summer for use in a canoe. I would just reach over the side and stick the suction cup to the bottom of the hull.

Sounds like this might be the easiest route to take. I just checked out the PiranhaMax and it's slightly cheaper than the portable X-4s.

The X-4 is a good unit, I have a PiranhaMAX 160 for my yak. It works well enough.

Are the two makes pretty comparable in performance?

Sounds like this might be the easiest route to take. I just checked out the PiranhaMax and it's slightly cheaper than the portable X-4s.

Are the two makes pretty comparable in performance?

Most likely. Here is what I based mine on

a cheap way to just power the finder is to use 8 AA batteries with a double sided AA battery holder and 9V quick snap from The Source. Just splice your wires to the snap and you are on your way. I buy rechargeables and place everything in a waterproof tupperware box with some silica packs inside to suck up any moisture.

a cheap way to just power the finder is to use 8 AA batteries with a double sided AA battery holder and 9V quick snap from The Source. Just splice your wires to the snap and you are on your way. I buy rechargeables and place everything in a waterproof tupperware box with some silica packs inside to suck up any moisture.

Posts like these are why I love this forum so much! Thanks Phranchise, that's awesome!

I have a humminbird portable fish finder with the suction cup mount. It works great! If I am loading.unloading or going through alot of weeds I can pull the transducer in, or if I'm in another boat I just take it with me.... If you fish in anyone elses boat or another boat/canoe etc from time to time I would go portable.

Archived