Advice For Lightweight Setup For A Guy With No Experience

rob29

I have been thinking of getting into some fly fishing and have literally never cast one. I was looking for an ultralight setup with a 5-6 foot long rod to try my luck on small creeks and brooks. I checked out Pete's Tackle but they didn't have anything that light. I will be using it for maybe 2-3pound fish but probably much smaller. Looking for somewhere to purchase a setup like this without breaking the bank hopefully. Any suggestions?

Sent you a message. I also have zero experience with adding guides to a blank rod so that would either be an interesting learning experience or disaster. Would it be a good idea to have a really short rod for small creeks and then a slightly longer rod, say 6-7', for pan fish on open water? That seems like this new endeavor would get costly very quick if that were the case. I realize different application require different setups but I would like to try to stay with 1-2 rods for a variety of scenarios depending on if I actually enjoy fly fishing as much as casting.

I have a 5 weight 4 piece I believe it's 7 feet. I got it on clearance from st.croix's website then I got a nice reel from Grimsby bait and tackle! All in all line,flies,leaders,spare spool and a vest cost me almost 175$

Ended up picking up an older setup for a good price. 5wt 7 foot rod with a small reel. Not a Loomis, but should suit my needs until I have more experience. Now need to go pickup some line and flies and practice, practice, practice. Does Pete's have 5wt line? I would assume they would and will be heading over there after work tomorrow to get some advice on what to get and more importantly how to tie it. I will see how it goes with the 7 ft and hopefully I can actually catch something other then myself this season.

Ended up picking up an older setup for a good price. 5wt 7 foot rod with a small reel. Not a Loomis, but should suit my needs until I have more experience. Now need to go pickup some line and flies and practice, practice, practice. Does Pete's have 5wt line? I would assume they would and will be heading over there after work tomorrow to get some advice on what to get and more importantly how to tie it. I will see how it goes with the 7 ft and hopefully I can actually catch something other then myself this season.

I can teach you how to tie and OR sell you flies.. it's what i do ;-)

I can teach you how to tie and OR sell you flies.. it's what i do ;-)

for fly line grimsby tackle(miller) on here or contact Blake on here from fishing world.

They both carry line.

I am definitely interested in flys and a little lesson on experience. Send me a pm for whens a good time to see what you have and to get a little advice on what would be good to use for different applications.

The reason I ask about Pete's is because I work until 5 on weekdays and am really itching to get this setup going this week. Plus I rarely make trips out that way so Pete's would be the closest shop for me that I could make in time after work.

also, if u are wanting to practice your casting, josh (cndfishguy) has showed me a neat spot to practice casting with nothing around to bother you. (trees bushes signs roads) its just off highway 20 and decew road. a path swings out til near middle of the waterbody and has a current to one side to practice drifts and such. i find it is helpfull to learn to cast with a current as it helps stretch ur line out in the event of ur line pilling up on itself from a bad forward fast. if u ever want someone to come practice swingin some flies with you, im by no means a proffessional just starting out this year as well, but its nice to have some company! also, try not to learn on a windy day, makes for a REAL FRUSTRATING time. i know this week is supposed to be pretty windy, best day this week so far by the weather network in terms of wind is wednesday with 10km/h. good luck.

Ended up going to Grimsby tackle last night and the smallest line they had was 6wt. Really nice guys there and they also said they had a few fly rods they were clearing out at good prices. Ended up being able to get line from Fishing World in Hamilton and they had 5wt float or sink types. They told me they weren't able to put the line on though so I attempted it today... Got about 10% of the way through the fly line and the spool it came on decided to split in half leaving me with a rat's nest of line. Oh well, time to start learning patience with fly fishing.

To Snakeman: I know the place your talking about I think. It's the long concrete strip going out to the water by decew and merritville right? That sounds like a good place to go try it out today after work.

Yea thats the one, ill be heading out there today after work to try it out. I am guessing the calm portion should have some pannies which will be going towards the surface at dusk. Maybe I can actually catch my first fish on the fly.

What I learned from my first time out fly fishing;

1. Patience is a virtue, very very important virtue.

2. I have sausage fingers.

Lost 3 flies, pout 2 knots in my leader, and had to untangle my leader 3-4 times in 2 hours. I learned it is definelty tricky to get the motion right. Will continue to go out and get some practice. Yesterday may have been a little cold for the pannies because I didn't see any fish near the surface. Will try to get out a few more times this week and hopefully the weekend can cooperate too.

Well I was hoping to get out this weekend to do a little practice. I was also thinking about doing a run to the dump tomorrow so I could possibly swing by and pick up that crappy couch. That was probably the only thing I didn't snag when I went out there a couple days back.

Archived