Viceroy Butterflies?

kevin

Today, just as the rain stopped, thousands of butterflies starting flying onto my property from the south. I'm in Ridgeway right near lake erie. My dad thought they were viceroys, does anyone know? Whatever they are, they are migrating right now in droves. My garage has at least 50 of them on it.

017.jpg

015.jpg

Hi Kevin .......it's a Red Admiral butterfly . I have some right now buzzing around my back yard in west St.Kitts . I have never noticed so many before in my yard . My little dog chased after them and caught two of them.....seems they were stuck together somehow ....... ^_^

Haha isn't this ironic when i got home there were about 10 on my lawn I decided to try to catch one. And then it happened! I was attacked by one! The wife was in the car shaking her head seeing a 22 year old chasing down the butterfly! Anyways the thing landed right on my nose! Was probably the weirdest... Or bravest butterfly ever!

we will soon have an Alfred Hitchcock movie .......one landed in my wife's hair . This is obviously an invasive invasion of a third kind . Carry a can of bear spray at all times ........ :)

This is cool, obviously it was all across the region today then. I wonder if it was the big front to the south that spawned the tornados in the US that drove them up here all at once? The minute that rain broke today, they started. All of them were coming from the south.

Vanessa Atalanta were very abundant in 1981 . This looks like another one of those bumper crops. They usually show up at Point Pelee in May but have arrived early during these mild days. ( it's now 70*F. at my place , (9:30 a.m.) .Some may stay the winter and this year I suspect many have learned something from the Canada goose !

Kevin , you may be right about those bad tornadoes in the U.S. may have helped them (or blew them) into Niagara , it looks like we are getting some of that wind today .

http://www.cbif.gc.c...edAdmiral_e.php

Haha isn't this ironic when i got home there were about 10 on my lawn I decided to try to catch one. And then it happened! I was attacked by one! The wife was in the car shaking her head seeing a 22 year old chasing down the butterfly! Anyways the thing landed right on my nose! Was probably the weirdest... Or bravest butterfly ever!

Hope you weren't hurt.

I never saw one of these or at least noticed them until about 5 years ago. Took me quite some time to get a picture because they just don't sit still long but with so many around this year its bound to be easier.

got home from work today and seen two of them on my garage window.. Never seen one before either was gonna take a pic then they flew away as i reached for my phone :(. im in the north end of st.kittz too

The gnats are starting to swarm up also . I usually see huge swarms of them when driving 3rd Louth . They would be good food for aquariums .

I read this in the T.O. Star this morning .......a nice story about the Admiral Butterfly .....I had some stinging nettle in my back yard last year .....didn't know it is used to make tea .......

http://www.thestar.c...utterflies?bn=1

• 2 weeks later...

Archived