What Do You Use For Perch In Lake Erie This Time Of Year?

BrendanMitchell

Minnows... 1/2 oz weight on the bottom.. find the fish on the finder and follow them with the elects.. try 50 fow off Crystal beach.. and work deeper till you find them.. just one man's opinion ;-)

1OZ sinker on the bottom and 2 #6 or #4 snelled hooks up from the sinker 10" apart. We have been getting our Perch in-front of Sherkston in 63 to 64 FTW. Just look for the boats. Make sure you have at least 100' of rope on your anchor even more if you have it. A 4' chain on the anchor helps. Minnows for bait.

1OZ sinker on the bottom and 2 #6 or #4 snelled hooks up from the sinker 10" apart. We have been getting our Perch in-front of Sherkston in 63 to 64 FTW. Just look for the boats. Make sure you have at least 100' of rope on your anchor even more if you have it. A 4' chain on the anchor helps. Minnows for bait.

Ya what the farmer said,also want to add that you should come in as soon as the wind picks up with a 15' boat.It can be a long ride in when she turn's,even in a bigger boat.Good luck!

Try and catch your own bait only take the bigest minnows in your net. you will only get big perch just let the the one full of eggs go so theres some for next year we only take the males or females if there hooked deep. try and find some chain for you anchor it makes a huge diffrence

WRC

just get a little 3-3 dip net and go to NPM you will not be able lift the net up it will be so full.Crappy wheel has some trapes for $11 or $13 I think. We lanch from bertie boat club you can lanch from crystal beach.

Good luck WHERE your life jacket a 15 footer is a little boat on a big lake

WRC

Not to rain on your parade but you seem a bit green to be going out on L erie in a 15' boat. You are just asking for trouble. Lots of luck and be careful. Make sure you have all the proper equipement a radio and a phone. The lake blows up pretty quick.

Try and catch your own bait only take the bigest minnows in your net. you will only get big perch just let the the one full of eggs go so theres some for next year we only take the males or females if there hooked deep. try and find some chain for you anchor it makes a huge diffrence

WRC

take a look at the fish u catch they are dying as fast as u reel them in from 60fow u think if you realse them they will live? notttttttttt and another thing u think those 4 commerical nets beside u are leting the females go give ur head a shake!!!

I agree hooked , most fish will not survive coming from 60' below . I have read that lakers can handle it , especially if they're brought up slowly on lighter gear . We used to fish Boshkong (kung) Lake for lakers in over 100' of water (ice fishing) & their bladders would come out of their mouths .....so we had to keep the little ones .

Keep in mind WRC fish can get the bends if they do not get down deep enough to dissolve the bubbles, but more likely the swim bladder will either pop out there eyes as smerchly said or out the mouth or even worse might either explode or have a tear/hole in it.

We use a blatter pin u can get from bass pro to pop the blatter if the eyes are not poped out thay will swim away. We put them in the live well and 95% will swim away by the end of the day. reel them up slow

Hooked YOU do what you want I no what works I have been fishing out there for 20 years.I dont take the ones full of eggs.If you do good for you. I like to have fish around for anouther 20 years.IM NOT A MEET HUNTER. I just like to fish.When you grow up you will no what I mean.

Good luck out there and stay safe.There is some fish in the shallows to we found them in 10-25' of water the other day.

WRC

You can get a large needle from any pharmacy and deflate the swim bladder so they can easily return to the depths. It is mandatory to carry in the states when fishing in salt water. Should be up here too IMO.

headed out to erie on sunday at 8am. winds were high but my boat handled it like a champ. got out to 60fow and the bite was non stop fish on before i hit bottom. was only able to stay out for an hour or so as the winds really picked up around 10am and the marine radio was calling for 1m waves so we heading out to the upper only to get skunked but had a good morning tho!

headed out to erie on sunday at 8am. winds were high but my boat handled it like a champ. got out to 60fow and the bite was non stop fish on before i hit bottom. was only able to stay out for an hour or so as the winds really picked up around 10am and the marine radio was calling for 1m waves so we heading out to the upper only to get skunked but had a good morning tho!

Good job man! Glad all the hard work on your boat paid off :)

Archived