Who's Heading Out For Turkey This Week?

fafaflohi

Good luck. I took a crossbow the first year and within 10 minutes had the shot lined up on his head. I hesitated and he got moving. I had a few shots that could have been made with a shotgun but I never brought it. Never had another turkey (Tom) lined up again that year.

Absolutely! Booked wednesday off as I always do and will be out with a buddy. Hopefully we'll get a bird and then go fishing. I see the weather is supposed to be okay...fingers crossed. i'll be hunting with in my bow-only spot first thing and if no luck I might go to my gun spot later.

It really pisses me off that the last 2 years I have had 3 birds shot very near me with guns in a bow-only area. My hunting buddy caught 3 guys who shot 2 birds that were coming to his calls. They were on the property next to us that is posted No Trespassing everywhere. They didn't have permission, were using guns and were from Hamilton. What do you do when they are just off your property? Will the MNR come for a discharge of firearm in bow-only zone or just say it is a by-law issue? Last year I heard the guy shoot to gun but by the time I got there he had gone.

Guys, I dont even hunt and I see turkeys around on my way home from work...I could have shot a few from my car. LOL I know thats illegal.... Lots out there, but having never hunted or the desire to hunt I guess it must be tougher when you actually have to find them on foot.

A large part of having a successful hunt is having permission to hunt on lands where turkeys have taken up residency. They can travel large distances and will go where they have a food source. You're right though, wild turkey seem to be everywhere this year. I've seen large flocks along the QEW and there's about 30 on the military range out in Niagara-on-the-Lake.

I am out in Haldimand and I have seen a record number of them this year!! But you are right the hardest part is getting permission to hunt private land and then having to deal with idiots from the city that come out and think that they can hunt on your land just because they are from the city.

My girlfriends bow hunting all week ...

Asked her if I could join her and her dad...

I was told I should be at the niagara river ribbon dancing ( thats what she calls fly fishing ) and to leave the shooting to her lol

I'm just getting everything ready for an early hunt in the morning - first time out this year. I can't find my box call and still not sure if I want to use the decoys (hen and jake). It looks like it's going to be a cold morning but at least no rain in the forecast.

I'm just getting everything ready for an early hunt in the morning - first time out this year. I can't find my box call and still not sure if I want to use the decoys (hen and jake). It looks like it's going to be a cold morning but at least no rain in the forecast.

Always use the decoys. Put the hen in your shooting lane and the jake behind you. Otherwise you'll always get the tom behind you :crazy:

Came home empty handed myself. I kind of blew it by sleeping in (my daughter was sick and kept me up half the night) and only getting set up in the field after 7:30 in the morning. Also, once I had gotten set up, I realized I had my skeet choke in the barrel and had to make the long trek back to the truck to get my turkey choke. I'll be out again next Saturday and will make sure I get everything right this time.

Well, I am heading out on Sunday to do an early am hunt, I went out to the bush this week at 9am and heard gobbling coming from the other side of the field in the bush I usually set up in, so I was forced to set up on the opposite bushline. I called to the 2 different gobbles I was hearing from the bush, but they were more stubborn than my wife and would not leave the safety of the woods. Round 2 on Sunday

Well I headed out to the bush this morning, got set up and heard gobbles around 9 again! perfect...... I start calling some more......they gobble back, now I am getting the adrenaline pumping, I call again and they gobble back. This goes on for over an hour with no headway, then I hear a real bad call from a box call from behind me in the woods and the gobbles cease up. I searched the bush looking for who was on my property and to no avail found any sign of someone. I will be trying again this week closer to where I heard the gobbles from the last 2 outings

• 3 weeks later...

Archived