How Was Everyones Opener?

DaveC

We fished the Saugeen. Between 5 of us all day fishing we got 4 fish. There is still fish up river of the Dam, but you really have to work for

them. The lower below the Dam was packed, and not alot of fish. I caught about 20 yearlings and a small bow about 4lb that was it for me. There is still fish on the beds belive it or not.........was talking to a guy that said they released 70,000 yearlings this year. Why do it just before opener is beyond me....I hooked one every second drift. We had a good time, a few beers at night and some good laughs.........to me thats what fishing is

all about, just getting out there and giving it your best shot. How did everyone else do???????

Dave

i got out fora few hours. and just had a bad time. i went to a new area and really underestimated it. lost my 3new blue fox's:(.. but it still was decent getting out. headed up to st.johns today for a little recuperation. and caught my first rainbow ever. but it wasnt as satisfying as catching a wild fish.

Got out for some speckeld trout on the fly rod yesterday and brought along a friend of mine

who has never been fishing in his life. I figured why not get him flyfishing right away because he had no

fear around the fly rod at all. Sun up fishing was frosty and cold and the fish obviously were in no mood for feeding (at least for us). Around 2:30, 3:00 oclock the hendricksons started to hatch and the action started! My bud caught the first fish of his life, a beatiful 10" speckeld trout on the fly. Super proud of him and i do believe he is hooked. Ended up with a half dozen specks, nothing huge but each one more gorgeous than the last. Looking forward to the next time! Rob

If anyone of the members would like to share a brookie spot please PM me.. I would never fish it out and catch n release for me..

I fished the saugeen for 37 years now and the brookies became far and few inbetween..

I am not asking for an exact spot but a general area i would love..

I share flies n streamers for a decent spot.. :crazy:

And i wouild never blabber any spot..

Thanks

Cliff

It's not much of a spot but I've caught brook trout in the short hills conservation area. There is a small stream that runs through the middle of it. There is also a stream that runs beside RR 69 at the end of Mountain Rd. in Beamsville. I don't know what it is called but there are a few nice pools.

Hope this works

If anyone of the members would like to share a brookie spot please PM me.. I would never fish it out and catch n release for me..

I fished the saugeen for 37 years now and the brookies became far and few inbetween..

I am not asking for an exact spot but a general area i would love..

I share flies n streamers for a decent spot.. :crazy:

And i wouild never blabber any spot..

Thanks

Cliff

You can catch brookies at the Rocky Saugeen, the Beatty Saugeen should have them as well but it opens on June 1st. I was fishing at Ceaders camp ground and got a 20" brown. The Beatty is loaded with residents but season is still closed.

We fished below Walkerton this afternoon and it was a bust, most fish are back at the lake.

You can catch brookies at the Rocky Saugeen, the Beatty Saugeen should have them as well but it opens on June 1st. I was fishing at Ceaders camp ground and got a 20" brown. The Beatty is loaded with residents but season is still closed.

We fished below Walkerton this afternoon and it was a bust, most fish are back at the lake.

I know the whole saugeen system like the back of my hand...the beatty is loaded but closed till june 1st

lookin for something closer to home

Last year i landed a 27inch brown at river place resort i bet it's another 4 " long now ..

I appreciate the 'trout hole' info; was thinking about prospecting there tomorrow, 5 hour round trip though lol.

Had a good opener, worked hard and got a ten inch native brown and an 8" rainbow. Both clean, hard, strong fish from a river that gets a lot of pressure and seldom gives up a fish. Gorgeous day, it's been a long, long wait. Returned to the same river today, no luck, but even nicer weather and the mayfly activity was interesting, some females with bright yellow egg sacs. Will have to hack out a clear spot on my desk and tie up some imitations. Don't think they were Hendricksons, but similar, smaller olive/brown, handsome bugs. Lot of fish got fed on those puppies, but on this river the browns don't feed off the surface... sure is weird. Some days entomology trumps fishing lol, at least when you're as lousy at fly fishing as I am!

Walkerton produced 2 fish for us at first light. Until some dude showed up with his drift boat and ran through all the drifts. I was fishing a drift just above the bridge near Tims when he slides this rubber boat down the hill from Tims parking lot right beside me. No excuse me, or do you mind if we launch here....just run it down the hill and plunk it into the water. As we moved down stream, by car that is...this guy almost was following us spooking out all the holes as he went. Some people....I think I am beginning to hate opener. There is fish still in, but its a tough go for sure. We seen lots still sitting on the beds. Im packing it in for now, unless I can get out to the Niagara once more.

I know the whole saugeen system like the back of my hand...the beatty is loaded but closed till june 1st

lookin for something closer to home

Last year i landed a 27inch brown at river place resort i bet it's another 4 " long now ..

The last guy that fly fished in the GTA and got brookies was at the upper Credit, "Forkes of the Credit", you might want to check it out. Having said that the Credit got a got run of steel last year and this year but so did all the rivers!lol

I just started fly fishing last year on the dry fly and what a great feeling just hooking in to one! If I get pissed off I rig my 10' float rod and slam them!

The last guy that fly fished in the GTA and got brookies was at the upper Credit, "Forkes of the Credit", you might want to check it out. Having said that the Credit got a got run of steel last year and this year but so did all the rivers!lol

I just started fly fishing last year on the dry fly and what a great feeling just hooking in to one! If I get pissed off I rig my 10' float rod and slam them!

I fished there years back ..in georgetown.. nice spots

I never got out but I may plan to fish upper 12 mile tomorrow for some trout, will try and spoon feed em

I never got out but I may plan to fish upper 12 mile tomorrow for some trout, will try and spoon feed em

I'll bet the upper 12 will be muddy Joey , we got a lot of rain here today .

opener went 1-2 and today went 0-5 the fish are really close to cover, as close as they can get to down trees. all fish but one lost on spinners. water is clear and low on the two creeks i fished but the weather was alot better today and i was the only one fishing till 10:30. worst opener for me in a longtime.

It's not much of a spot but I've caught brook trout in the short hills conservation area. There is a small stream that runs through the middle of it. There is also a stream that runs beside RR 69 at the end of Mountain Rd. in Beamsville. I don't know what it is called but there are a few nice pools.

Hope this works

I tried the short hills yesterday, not a nibble and didnt see any fish activity either. So I went and tried where the two creeks meet on the other side of Decew road (park by the bridge and walk in a bit , saw one other angler but no fish. maybe it was the muddy conditions, but I will try it again soon.

anyone else have any success in this area?

You are right. It has been a long time since I've been up that way but the more I thought about it the more I realized it had to be down stream of Ball's falls. Not good when you have senior moments and aren't even 40 :(

I got completely skunked on the Lower on Saturday. The only guys I saw that had any luck were the Fly Fisherman. I gotta get me a Fly rod soon.

Archived