Soft Verses Hard Water ....non Fishing....

smerchly

If anyone has a soft water unit in their home , how do you like it ? Does the water taste good or do you also have a reverse osmosis filter unit under the sink for drinking water ? I have a unit coming next week but the install guy said I will need a pump installed for the back flush to take the water to the tubs , plus a long line to the nearest 110 plug .I didn't know the tanks were so large either when I saw them on the truck . He told us the savings on soap , detergents , and shampoo etc will pay for the $30 per month rental cost , plus your skin & hair will feel cleaner as well. By coincidence , my bro. in law called today to say he bought a unit a few days ago for 6 grand & he is very happy with the dramatic change . We have been having second thoughts to get one, so any input would be welcome . Thanks !

Had a Rainsoft unit in the old house. Ran like a charm the first 3 years. After that it started to run into problems. Service for the unit was terrible, then suddenly, as often happens with door to door companies, the area distributor closed up and moved on to milk another territory, with no one in the area left who would service the units.

This company is called Eagle Solutions and they are affiliated with Enbridge Gas who adds the monthly costs to the gas bill ....kind of like our new hot water heater , now billed through Alliance but separate from Enbridge . It's all about subcontracting these days .

I have sold water softeners to our customers here in Niagara for commerical use, This article might help with your questions. Sodium intake from softened water can be avoided by leaving one kitchen tap unsoftened for drinking and cooking

Advantages of water softeners

Softeners offer: 1) cleaner, softer feeling clothes; 2) longer life of appliances including washing machine, dishwasher, and water heater; 3) less use of household cleaning products, such as detergents, as well as personal cleanliness products, like shampoo; 4) reduction of water spotting.

Disadvantages of water softeners

1) Softened water is not recommended for watering house plants, lawns and gardens due to its sodium content; 2) water used in recharging a water softener may over load or reduce the effectiveness of small septic or sewer systems; 3) there may be health risks from sodium intake; 4) softened water is not recommended for steam irons or evaporative coolers. The best choice for such appliances is distilled water or water from a reverse osmosis unit.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your input everyone . My bro in law is a heavy water drinker & he had soft water installed a week ago and also the reverse osmosis for the kitchen tap . He cannot taste any salt in the water and is thrilled with the big change in his water ....near Ft.Erie . I have a separate filter for my kitchen tap that uses a ceramic filter that removes 99.9% of the chlorine & also E-coli bacteria . What a difference between that water and the regular tap water beside it ! I would like to keep it that way , so I would have to tap into the city water just before it goes into the soft water unit .

Well it depends on what type of fish you will have in an aquarium:P Hard waters great for most cichlids... and soft water for the discus. But in all honesty I just use a brita filter;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well , today I cancelled the whole deal ! We have been having terrible "communication" problem since the "contracted out" company came to tell us we need a separate wall plug installed at about $300......or they could simply add $3 per month to the bill ( $360) extra for ten yrs. We kept getting calls from Montreal to set up an install date but she was very hard to understand with her Fr. accent .Finally they called & said they would come this holiday Sunday from 9 am to 1 pm.....then called back to say who booked that Sunday date so they set another date for Tues.,from 9 to 11 am . I installed a wall plug myself and we waited all day yesterday ....no show ! We got a call a 8:30 pm and the Fr.lady said something about equipment problems . I was pissed ! I called the salesman to tell him to forget the whole thing as I do not want to deal with this company . He offered 3 months free & I said "no thanks" . He was also pissed at these contractors & asked me to send him an email relating the whole story why this sale went tits up to show his boss why they lost a sale. This is what happens when big companies like Enbridge contract out to cheaper companies . I'm sticking with my old water filter !

Yes it was a door sale . The guy did his part ok. but it was the company that does the actual installing that was screwing up . We have GOOD drinking water that goes through a heavy ceramic/charcoal filter and takes 99.9% of the chlorine out & takes out that swamp taste in the summer time . I also don't like the idea of soft water for the garden hose for my plants . I have 3 large rain barrels but they can run dry sometimes. There is only 2 of us here so we use less than average water .

Have you tried those water coolers with the jugs? Can get whatever water you fancy with them, I used the reverse osmosis jugs for a salt water fish tank. Never actually drank it tho.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived