Duck Eggs, Anyone?

Rachel M

So I've finally suckered the parents into letting me have some quackers for the pond. We've got a nice, big, meaty muscovy drake, and we landed upon some mixed hens (One is a pekin, one is Runner cross, the the others are mixed breeds). We've also got some pekin ducklings, and some "Surprise" ducklings (We bought them at the Hagersville Livestock Auction, and the box said "ducks"). The first night the girls laid a fwe eggs, so we stuck them in the incubator with the turkeys and geese eggs. They've slowly started laying more now that they've got a drake around, but we aren't adding them to the incubators since they'll be weeks behind the others, and we don't want to leave them out by the pond so as not to attract raccoons. Anybody have any good recipes for duck eggs (other than scrambled), or some good uses? I'm considering just selling them so they don't go to waste.

I've got 5 eggs right now, 1 might not be fertile, and the other's I think are (don't have a good candling set up yet, so I can't check). We've been getting 1 a day this week so far, and hopefully it'll ramp up some.

Ducks eggs are excellent breakfast fare. When I was a youngster my Grandmother would fry up ducks eggs for us. They are quite a deep yellow to orange colour in the yolks, very rich and delicious. Enjoy them with some bacon and toast......................................Boog

Poached Duck Egg with Asparagus, Roasted Spring Onion and Duck Cracklings

Preparation:

Poach the egg in plastic wrap using the method shown below. Cut the onion in half and pan roast it along with the some duck craklings.

Bring a pot of water to a simmer.

1) Brush some oil or fat on one side of a piece of plastic wrap, and then insert the plastic wrap inside of a mold or a small cup. You can brush with duck fat, olive oil or use or butter.

2) Carefully break the egg into the plastic wrapped mold. You can add a few drops of truffle oil here for an added dimension.

3) Close the film with a peice of string. A loose mold will form a smoother egg; a tighter wrap will give a patterned appearance to the cooked egg.

4) Drop (or hang) the plastic wrap into the simmering water and cook 4-6 minutes till top white is set and yolk is still runny.

5) Pull the wrapper out of the pot and carefully cut the plastic wrap removing the egg.

Assembly:

Put a slit in the egg to allow some of the yolk to drizzle out. Or leave the poached egg intact. Arrange the asparagus and half a spring onion on the plate around the egg. Garnish with duck cracklings and chives. Drizzle extra-virgin olive oil over the egg.

Deliciouse

I would be happy to take those duck eggs that are not fertile from you.

Problem is, the only one I know for sure isn't fertile is about 2 weeks old! I've gotta get candling! My internet research claims that there will be no egg development, and thus no "ickies" unless they're sat by the ducks. I've started bringing them in the house now (rather than letting them sit in the barn), so they'll stay fresher. They're laying about 3/day now, plus or minus the raccoon's take. Any blood spots are made when the egg is inside the duck.

Anyways, I should have a dozen by the end of the week (That are fresh, I've got old one hanging around that I don't know what to do with). They'll be fertile but edible, and I'd like to get $2 for a dozen. Most people I've seen are asking 3-4 bucks, but I'm just looking for enough to pay the feed bill (Which isn't much, now that all the buggies are out). Let me know if you're interested.

Archived