"frankenfish"

Bryan

They need to get the word out to the Asian community that releasing these fish is a bad Idea. I don't mean to pick on any specific Culture but I know that they are a delicacy in China and some folk in the states were releasing them in ponds so they could have an easy access fishery. Also don't buy them for pets as they grow quickly and are released when they become unmanageable. The Canadian govt needs to outlaw the importation of this particular species before its too late.

After reading this and searching around on the Net... Its probably too late... :( just a matter of time... same goes for the Asian carp...

After reading this and searching around on the Net... Its probably too late... :( just a matter of time... same goes for the Asian carp...

Never too late dude. Not when it comes to my fishin hole. You can probably bet some of the lower great lakes have been exposed and probably a few ponds but there is still hope, for the most part

There was an unconfirmed report of two spotted in the welland river near the hydro canal inlet. Snakeheads tend to pair up to protect their young so it seems credible. We'll see if they pop up in the river this year since one pair of breeders can have 200,000 young.

http://www.greatlakesboating.com/news/2010/08/10/suspected-northern-snakehead-fish-caught-ontario

theyre are also known for attacking fish bigger then them. they are very competitive feeders and will kill other fish just because they get to close. i wonder how musky and pike would fair against them? 0.o

There's a possibility that a snakehead could be in the canal, but more likely a bowfin. Persons being informed of Snakehead fish should at the same time be informed of bowfins which are very similar in appearance.

Here is a comparison photo

bowfin on top snakehead bottom

snakeheada.th.jpg

The ones in the welland river were apparently chasing fish off their "nest". Again I didn't see them so I don't know for sure. I've caught bowfin all over the peninsula they are fun as hell.

The hype about Snakeheads is overblown. They have been introduced (accidently/intentionally) into certain waterways throughout the USA (e.g. Potomac River in Washington D.C. and waterways in Southern Florida) and haven't had any dramatic affect on the fisheries there. So I see little evidence that there would be issues elsewhere.

That being said we certainly don't need another exotic species introduced into our waterbodies and any Snakehead caught should be dispatched immediately and the proper authorities notified.

"The ones in the welland river were apparently chasing fish off their nest":

Probably just a male bowfin. They too, guard their nest very aggressively.

if anybody is interested, river monsters has an episode about the snakehead, he was in florida streams tossing top water frogs and getting strikes every cast, usually just a second after it hits the water. very aggressive and seems like it would just take over creeks and ponds with no problem at all.

that was a different type of snakehead. the snakehead that could survive here is the northern snakehead and get much much bigger then the ones in florida. ive seen every season twice.... :)

The one's being caught in the Potomac River are Northern Snakeheads and they seem to be coexisting rather well with other species.

http://www.wtop.com/41/2866476/Potomac-snakehead-A-world-record <- hopefully that article will dispell some of the BS brought on by the "Media Hype Machine".

Another link: http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/fishingreport/index.asp

James.JPG

14 lb Nothern Snakehead from the Potomac River. I personally don't want them here but they are a impressive looking fish, none-the-less.

Archived