Dunnville Fishing...byng, Dam Or Port Maitland?

blue pilgrim

Hey guys.

Have a day to fish tomorrow and if the weather co-operates I would like to head to Dunville. Anyone been out that way lately? (This is me fishing for any inside pointers) :D

I might bring the kayak and then I'll go to Byng, but was hoping for perch at Port Maitland off the pier maybe?

Any input before I get the line wet would be great.

Anyone else going?

Thanks folks.

Mike

I've been gettin some perch off the Maitland pier. That's your best bet for best chances in Dunnville right now. Live minnows are best.

Worms for sheephead or cats in the Grand is best, but much more action off the pier right now. There are for sure gobies around if nothin else. Use really small hooks, there are smelt and real small white/yellow perch around that'll strip you regularly if you're using too big of a hook.

Well today was great.

As I mentioned above I was bringing a long time friend, (my best friend), fishing and let’s just say he isn't that "in to it". Sure he has come ice fishing with me and my friends, but he really falls under the, "There for beer and friends", team. We haven’t really been into fishing together for over a decade. I should also mention that my friend hasn't had the best of luck lately. He lost his mom a few months back and he has a pretty stressful job and it's been getting to him. I was just happy to get him out of the house. Anyway, we hit the road for Port Maitland, and we have no idea where the bait store is or even where the pier is, but the adventure began. We find what we need at the bait store and after getting a little lost we hit the pier. About ten minutes in his cheap reel explodes and I actually get it going again. After a few snags we start hitting some perch. Nothing big and exciting, but enough to get us laughing and shooting the sh!t about life. He really opened up and we had a great time talking and laughing about the little and big things in life and really appreciating what we were doing. Just two "old friends" spending great time together.

His reel craps out one final time and he grabs my back up. He really loves my set up. (more on this in a bit). He then catches his first goby and then a few more perch. We call it a day and as he packs up his broken reel he looks at me and smiles and says “thank you. I now see why you do this and I really want to get out more. I miss this.”

We head home and after doing the obligatory Timmies stop we arrive at my house where we met this morning. I hit the garage door opener and as he helps me unload the gear I walk in the garage one more time and grab a bag full of new gear and a near new Shimano Saros reel. I told him that it’s all his. You see, I was the lucky, (SOB), winner at Pete’s Tackle spring fishing sale who won the Main Day prize package and now have more gear than I know what to do with. I figured it was his time for a little luck and I haven’t seen him smile so much in such a long time like he smiled today. We were both happy kids once again and the best part is... we are heading back out fishing this Saturday.

Today was great indeed.

On another note I out-fished him by 2 and he bought Timmies. :)

Thanks for the input.

A buddy and myself will be hitting the pier early tomorrow. He doesn't have a 'yak, so we'll be fishing from shore.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Mike

Where is this peir? I'm not seeing it on the map? Do you know the nears street name?

That should story of the year, it really made me smile, it reminds when I took my uncle smelt fishing this year for the first time in 3 decades, I will share that story for another day.

Well today was great.

As I mentioned above I was bringing a long time friend, (my best friend), fishing and let’s just say he isn't that "in to it". Sure he has come ice fishing with me and my friends, but he really falls under the, "There for beer and friends", team. We haven’t really been into fishing together for over a decade. I should also mention that my friend hasn't had the best of luck lately. He lost his mom a few months back and he has a pretty stressful job and it's been getting to him. I was just happy to get him out of the house. Anyway, we hit the road for Port Maitland, and we have no idea where the bait store is or even where the pier is, but the adventure began. We find what we need at the bait store and after getting a little lost we hit the pier. About ten minutes in his cheap reel explodes and I actually get it going again. After a few snags we start hitting some perch. Nothing big and exciting, but enough to get us laughing and shooting the sh!t about life. He really opened up and we had a great time talking and laughing about the little and big things in life and really appreciating what we were doing. Just two "old friends" spending great time together.

His reel craps out one final time and he grabs my back up. He really loves my set up. (more on this in a bit). He then catches his first goby and then a few more perch. We call it a day and as he packs up his broken reel he looks at me and smiles and says “thank you. I now see why you do this and I really want to get out more. I miss this.”

We head home and after doing the obligatory Timmies stop we arrive at my house where we met this morning. I hit the garage door opener and as he helps me unload the gear I walk in the garage one more time and grab a bag full of new gear and a near new Shimano Saros reel. I told him that it’s all his. You see, I was the lucky, (SOB), winner at Pete’s Tackle spring fishing sale who won the Main Day prize package and now have more gear than I know what to do with. I figured it was his time for a little luck and I haven’t seen him smile so much in such a long time like he smiled today. We were both happy kids once again and the best part is... we are heading back out fishing this Saturday.

Today was great indeed.

On another note I out-fished him by 2 and he bought Timmies. :)

hmmm as a former writer I found this story to be one sweet little gem, innocent and from the heart. Awesome. Like reading someone's diary and looking over your shoulder hoping no one catches you. Refreshing and brutally truthful.

Archived