[Nf] When Bass Protect Their Nests.. What Predators Are There For Them?

fcm420

So with all the awsome bass spawning going on right now.. It's pretty fantastic to watch them stay on guard...

I wondered to myself, what are their predators for their eggs.. giving that most things in nature are opportunistic.. it stands to reason that it could be "just about anything"...

But what would you say are predators for bass eggs?

the ones I can think of are:

Pan fish ( perch, bluegills etc..)

Crayfish

Mud Puppies

other bass

gobies ( This one really has to be their #1 concern these days.. )

But are there any others you can think of?

Just watch when somebody pulls a bass off it's nest at Bayfront (been happening every 20' or so, the loogans are out in full force).

Everything and their brother rushes the nest to clean it out, meanwhile mouth breathing goober is trying to rationalize his nest fishing by saying he's just throwing them back anyway.

Sunfish and gobies will clean a nest out in under a minute.

Another thing to watch out for is the fry as well, a bass will stay on the bed after the eggs have hatched and defend the small fry, which are small enough for jus about everything to feed on.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for replying,

I'll have a follow up post to demonstrate my reasons behind this question.. hopefully it will be well supported :)

My friend says I'm nuts .....

But I swear the Birds (Geese, ducks) were eating Bass Fry/eggs out at Centre Island.

- No other reason to be hoving in the shallows, and going down and up (While eating).

I think that ANY and ALL creatures living in and around Bass Nests will take the Food.

- Insects, Fish, Birds .. amphibians

Archived