Cleaning Up A Sun "stained/oxidized" Canoe?

blue pilgrim

Hey folks.

Just picked up a great little canoe for a great price and it's in great shape....except it's hull has been bleached in the sun. I am wondering if anyone here has experience in restoring the shine, removing oxidation or cleaning up the gelcoat on a fiber glass canoe. I have been looking at the internet for ideas, but I always like to get all the info I can and if it's from a local expert, even better.

The hull is very sound and I only see a few spider web cracks in the gelcoat.

Also, since I am here starting a new topic, any ideas for making it a fishing vessel. I am looking at putting on a trolling motor and have already transfered over my rod holders, anchor set up and some rigging from my touring kayak (which is for sale by the way).

Thanks for any help.

(moderators: if this is in the wrong section please feel free to let me know and I can move it).

I have lots of experience with fibreglass gelcoat. What you will need is a slow speed buffer. Apply extra fine rubbing compound ( liqiud formula ) then add a slight amount of water. This job is messy...so wear some old clothes. Buff the Gelcoat over with the compound and electric buffer and water...this takes time and like I say its very messy..sprays everywhere. After you have cleaned off all the oxidization and have the colour back. Buff on some liquid ice wax 1 coat. then use one final coat of wax by hand. Wipe and polish the final coat by hand. It should look pretty close to new condition. Or the other thing you can do....you,ll have to pay for it. Is to take it to a car cleaning place that does detailing and compound cleaning ( Like a car wash ) have them do the job or give you a quote to do it. Its time consuming to do...and lots of elbow grease.

Thanks for the reply. I'm borrowing my uncles electric buffer this weekend and giving it a try. Do you recommend any brands of rubbing compound? I was going to hit up a boat shop or

Marina to pick some up.

Thanks again. I should do some before and after shots.

Mike

We use 3m, but yes they are all the same....Docs right...you will just pay more at a marina.

Archived