I Suck At Tying Flies

YakFisher

I started tieing earlier this year. My first 10 or so were practically unfishable but still were able to hook some sunfish before falling apart. The right tools do make it easier and practice is key. Put on some tunes and tie away for a few hours. I try to tie 5 flies at once and use the same technique and material on all 5. Sometimes they turn out really close, sometimes not so much. Like fly casting, practice practice practice.

I mostly started tying out of necessity since I couldn't find the kinds of bass bugs I was long for. I've watched a few YouTube vids and in the kit I bought, there was a book about tying. I've got the Adams dry fly down pat but my streamers suck and so do my poppers. I find that I have way too much thread showing, I pot things on in the wrong order, etc. Oh well, I'll keep practicing

I still put things in the wrong order. Just takes time. Bass poppers are pretty difficult if you are using deer hair. The foam kits are much easier. They have the foam bodies at fishing world in Hamilton. Try crease flies. They are easy to tie and can be made to work just like a foam or deer popper. You just need to fill the front with a little extra foam.

I tried, got the stuff too. But I said I barely got time to go fishing and would rather spend time fishing than tieing. So part of my budget of fly fishing is flies that I buy. But keep trying woolly buggers are the easiest and catch alot of fish

Fly tying is an essential skill for any fly fisherman, in my opinion. Requirements are great patience, excellent hand-eye co-ordination, and good eyesight. Put in the time and you'll find yourself with a lovely hobby for the off-season and bad weather days, much greather knowledge of entomology, more fish, more enjoyment, and maybe even a money-maker, though in all honesty given the addictive nature, and hundred dollar capes, fly tying really isn't a money saver, lol.

Make it easier with a good vise, a good bright bench light, and a comfy chair. I try to tie at least six of any given pattern, which should set me up for at least a couple of trips if the river is feeling snaggy.

A.K. Best, a production fly tier, once said that he never really got the hang of any pattern until he had finished a hundred dozen.

Books you really want to have within arms distance of your vise:

1) Fly Pattern Encyclopedia by Al Beatty - one of many of this variety of books, gives you the ingredients and a pic of hundreds of flies. Buy as many different books like this as you can, you'll need them. Lots of recipes online as well.

2) Production Fly Tying by AK Best - this guy is a master. Perhaps a little too finicky, his big thing is tiny, accurate representations of western mayflies, but he's very, very smart about it, your efficiency will greatly improve if you read this.

3) Fly Tiers Benchside Reference by Leeson and Schollmeyer - MANDATORY!!! Every technique you could ever imagine explained. SUPERB! ESSENTIAL! If you only buy one book, buy this one. This will save you a lot of hassle. Amazing book.

What else? Hang out with fly tyers if you can find 'em, especially folks that tie for money, and guides... buy them coffee / beer, they will give you tips that are priceless. Eg: always work just under the breaking strength of your thread, a tightly wound fly lasts longer. Throw some extra knots in every now and then to keep things from unravelling if you slip or break the thread. Use as few wraps as possible. Keep it simple - avoid complex patterns - some of the best flies out there are made of two materials. Always put eyes on streamers. Always put lead on nymphs. Synthetics are better for big flies. Add a little flash to everything. Do you really need head cement?

Have fun!

I have free tying lessons as a group for those wishing to tie or private by the hour when i have the time .. It has to be the off season as i am very busy with the business

Thanks for the help. I'm tying a couple of flies a day now. Mostly sticking to streamers, woolly buggers, foam poppers and a big crayfish imitation I came up with. I'm getting better, but my supplies were limited to what was in the kit I bought and a few things I found at the dollar store that have turned out to be very helpful. A lot of the patterns I see on YouTube can't be tied with what I have, guess its time to go shopping.

Its a cool feeling to catch on something you tied yourself.

I have free tying lessons as a group for those wishing to tie or private by the hour when i have the time .. It has to be the off season as i am very busy with the business

what day do you tie in the offseason? I'm okay at tying but would always love to get better and its a nice way to meet other fly fisherman.

What flies should I start out with? Somthing easy but also somthing I will use during the summer I am hammering mostly bass and pike but during the winter months I will be trying to purchase 9-10wt for fishing for steelies down at the pool and pebbly beach. Also where should I go for some sort of kit to get me started;)

From the little I have learned and seen. Big woolly buggers, streamers and poppers for bass. If you want to catch pan fish, small streamers,dry flies and emergers. I have a green and yellow guy that has caught almost a hundred pannies for me this year,no word of a lie. I like tying Adams dry flies and streamers the most because it gives you much more room for creativity

Guest live2fish85

See if someone you know has a vise you can borrow Horrorshowrot. If you find you like it alot which I am sure you will, if you like fly fishing.

When you figure out whether you are going to continue tying spend a good chunk and get a good vise. You will want one that rotates 360° and the cheaps one don't and make tying that much harder and doesn't allow you to tie them as well.

fly tying is an art that is easily achived through simple imagination. I have been tying for 3 years now and have upgraded all of my equipment including vise, bobbin, thread etc. Cliff does really nice work but like he had said he is fairly busy through the summer time. Feel free to message me if you have any questions as i have hundreds of easy to tie patterns in my collection. Secondly now that fly tying is become more of a talked about subject on this site maybe cliff would think about opening a sub forum for people to put up pictures of there flies to show everyone their work and get tips on improving them if needed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yessss! I'm back on line (intermittently). . . haven't had internet in a while.

I'm happy to see there is a growing interest in fly fishing and tying. I've been doing both for about 30 years, and all I can say is that I'm still learning, and sometimes my flies lok like something the cat coughed up. Even still, you have to remember that some flies catch fishermen and others catch fish. A few will do both! If anyone wants to pick my brains, look me up on Facebook or message me here.

Archived