I Suck At Tying Flies

YakFisher

If you get the chance to learn to tie flys with Cliff....take it. Last time he offered to teach us to tie a bunch of guys were interested. But like anything else only a few of us showed up. For those that did, we learned alot in a very short time. Cliff taught us a few patterns and actually let us each take turns tieing our own. I can say that I learned alot....to the point where I got interested in learning to build and tie my own rod. I did alot of reading and research beforehand, and built my own rod dryer and wrapping machine. I built my first steelhead rod and and it turned out pretty good....great, no....but not to bad at all. I have fished it and caught fish on it and its the feeling of you made it custom....for yourself, and by yourself. When I build my next one, I know exactly the changes I need to make and the next one will be better. Fly tieing is pretty much the same....once you get the general Idea and use your imagination it starts to come together. I screw one up....I start over. There is always going to be the little tricks of the trade....and there is no better man then Cliff to teach you those things....his work is impressive for sure. I recently saw the custom rod he built as a donation for the garbage derby, and the artwork was awesome. I still want to learn how to tie weaves and stuff like that....but learning the basics will have you well on your way.

I would welcome any opportunity to learn something from a fellow tyer. Fly tying is an art that is never fully learned. There is always a new technique or pattern to acquire. My point is that even experienced tyers screw up once in a while. But don't sweat the screw-ups. A ball of fuzz and fluff that looks nothing like the pattern you were attempting could well look like a slice of heaven to a hungry trout!

I created a caddis larva pattern once by accident (long story but it started out as a suspended mayfly nymph). It was a screw-up that I decided to try out anyway. I was rewarded with a trout on my first cast and two more fish within 20 minutes. I now tie that "mistake" regularly and fish it often.

My Niagara streamer was a mistake and look how that took off. Most use it on the Niagara wether its mine or a copy of it. Keep tying and you'll get it !! I have been tying for 39 years now and 30 years professionally Its a passion I live with daily

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

i try to tie everyday. some things I am good at and enjoy (I love spinning deer hair) and Ive been tying a lot of stoneflies, small nymphs and a bunch of marabou streamers for steelhead. I definitely see it as something I will do for the rest of my life

pop thats awesome........... simple portable multi use tools put together to make a new tool its the transformers of the fly vise. thats freaking awesome use to stuff around the house :) great idea. My vise is a hand me down from my father in law lhis fathers before, old as sin but it works all the same

Archived