Cougar Sighting. Not Fishing I Know But I'd Like To Hear Your Thoughts.

Seen a big cat in shorthills a few years ago,the next day I went back with a friend who is an avid hunter and their were 2 sets of big cat tracks and blood on the ground in the same area,buy big I mean about 5in pads.It looked dark to me but it was under the evergreen's

there used to be tons back in the day around port robinson area, I remember few years back i was working on a cistern in the area where reports of a horse had gotten attacked by a cougar were floating around. talking with the homeowner about it she believed it was true and being in the middle of nowhere i was concerned, she said if the chickens get crazy then that's when you watch, well sure enough I'm working away and chickens start going crazy, about 50 yrds away in the bush i heard something climbing a tree i'll never forget the sound of the bark being ripped up, i never saw it but i swear it was a cougar, had to have been. I never ran to my truck so fast.

Sorry I posted to quick.

No biggie...as far as cougars go...i don't believe there are any wild cougars in ontario.....i read all the time about the guy that knew a guy that swears he saw one...as far as tons around the port robinson area...I don't believe it.....with all the trail cams around the province and not one has shown a pic of a cougar....are there cougars that have escaped or been released because the owner didn't want them anymore...ya prolly but not enough to be wary of them....

If you want to see some cougars in the Niagara region go to the Cairn Croft on Lundy's lane. Free drinks for guys under 25! And I have never seen any cougars in Ontario, a few bears but no cougars.

If you want to see some cougars in the Niagara region go to the Cairn Croft on Lundy's lane. Free drinks for guys under 25! And I have never seen any cougars in Ontario, a few bears but no cougars.

too funny Rob....They tend to like to go after the bait ( your wallet ) lol. I hope the admins dont ban me now.....but that comment was to good to delete lol.

I'm assuming wild. But the fella should have be tranqed and re-located. Correct me if im wrong here.

If it recognizes houses as an area for food relocating wouldn't do a thing. After reading the articles I would also assume the OPP doesn't have tranq guns ... So better to not let it take off ...

Over the years there has been multiple reports from within the Niagara region .... Around the mountain in Beamsville ... Out in NOTL and more recently that hunters cam pic above around Stevensville. They have found the scat in a quary outside of the falls.

A bobcat was reported around the Queenston golf course a few years back. Also a few years back tere were reports in the substandard about a black cat on the prowl around Ridley college

I am convinced I saw the prints in a muddy area outside of st kitts city limits ... The prints were huge and fresh so I was gone like a bat out of hell.

I really think there are a few ... Enough to multiply and live but not many. Too many supposed sightings on a regular basis.

That photo that perkins posted claims that it was taken in wainfleet when if you read rick rosatte mnr paper on cougars the same photo claims it was taken in guelph...now throw stevensville into it and you see how rumors or stories get passed around....you hear stories of people seeing them up north all the way down to windsor...yet not one has been hit by a car...you don't find evidence of a kill site...no trail cam pics other than the one that claims its from wainfleet but might just by from guelph....not one hunter has shot one thinking it was a deer(and they shouldn't)...not saying that there are not escapees but there are no wild cougars in ontario....JMO

This article say different.:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Wildlife/2ColumnSubPage/STDPROD_068840.html?CSB_ic-name=features&CSB_ic-info=topic-fw_CougarResearch_WRDS_Eng

“In those five years, we’ve only collected about 30 pieces of evidence from the far northwest of the province to the south,” says ministry senior research scientist Rick Rosatte. “So while we know there are cougars in the province, we also know they are extremely rare.”

“It’s likely that escaped or intentionally released cougars – from zoos and private homes – are responsible for at least some of the sightings,” Rosatte says. “Or they could be a genetic mix from different sources – remnants of a small native population or migrants from the west.”

Just because none have been hit by a car doesn't mean they don't exist, wild or escaped. I doubt many people have run their cars in to polar bears but they exist in the wild.

And one last comment, if the cat had been declawed as was speculated in the article, killing it was probably the best option. While I wouldn't want to encounter a cougar in the wild, declawed or not, without claws it won't be able to properly defend itself, and being an escaped pet it would likely be associating people with giving it food. Thus increasing its chances of attacking someone.

Atleast they have pics of polar bears..LOL....In all these years nobody has even stumbled across a dead cougar that might have died of natural causes,no road kill,no kill sites from a cougar,no pics other than the one that claims its from two different places,all they have is abit of poop and hair and a bunch of people that say the saw one(which was prolly a deer or yote)LOL...i'm abit skeptical ...and as far as the claws go..what would a cougar have to defend itself from LOL....

Atleast they have pics of polar bears..LOL....In all these years nobody has even stumbled across a dead cougar that might have died of natural causes,no road kill,no kill sites from a cougar,no pics other than the one that claims its from two different places,all they have is abit of poop and hair and a bunch of people that say the saw one(which was prolly a deer or yote)LOL...i'm abit skeptical ...and as far as the claws go..what would a cougar have to defend itself from LOL....

I can see why you're a bit skeptical, there really isn't that much evidence to go on, but I offer the following for rebuttal in no particular order:

No pictures doesn't mean anything. Ontario is huge. Over a million square KM. Just to pull a number out of my ass, if there are 50 cougars in the entire province, what are the odds of seeing one, or getting a picture of it before it takes off in to the bush? And with a population of over 12 million, how many of those people could actually positively I.D. a cougar with only a glimpse from the corner of their eye?

Cougars would have lots to defend themselves from, coyotes, wolves, bears, wolverines, an angry mother moose etc....

Lastly, a wild animal "dying of natural causes" usually means that they get injured (kick to the head from a bull moose perhaps?) and starve to death, then have their carcasses picked clean by vultures and other scavengers, or they get killed and/or eaten by the next bigger/stronger animal that comes along.

I can see why you're a bit skeptical, there really isn't that much evidence to go on, but I offer the following for rebuttal in no particular order:

No pictures doesn't mean anything. Ontario is huge. Over a million square KM. Just to pull a number out of my ass, if there are 50 cougars in the entire province, what are the odds of seeing one, or getting a picture of it before it takes off in to the bush? And with a population of over 12 million, how many of those people could actually positively I.D. a cougar with only a glimpse from the corner of their eye?

Cougars would have lots to defend themselves from, coyotes, wolves, bears, wolverines, an angry mother moose etc....

Lastly, a wild animal "dying of natural causes" usually means that they get injured (kick to the head from a bull moose perhaps?) and starve to death, then have their carcasses picked clean by vultures and other scavengers, or they get killed and/or eaten by the next bigger/stronger animal that comes along.

Ontario is huge...but just think how many hunters have trail cams out there...the mnr put out something like 15000 cameras out and got nothing.....cougars are smart and fast,they might have a problem with wolves but thats about it.....doesn't matter really how they die and what happens to them after...there are still bones that would be left behind......how many people go out and look for deer antlers....surely someone would have found a skull by now and said "what the heck is this"....i don't know the answer but until i see one for myself i will always but wary of the cougars in ontario story...

I think alot of cougar sightings in southern ontario are mis-identified bobcats, or are the result of someones cats getting out. I myself have seen two bobcats locally, at a very close distance. One along 12 mile creek in Jordan, and one that came out of a small bush while pushing deer in Norfolk County.

But, I wouldn't rule out cougars based on not seeing them. I fish out west on steelhead rivers in BC, in areas where there are cougar warnings, and have yet to ever see one. And you never hear of them scraped off the roads as roadkill. They are super sneaky and shy.

• 2 months later...

Archived