Niagara River Kayak Fishing

yakfish

My family and I are working on getting moved back to the Niagara area from Ohio, and part of the prep work is finding fishing spots! I have been searching Google maps and found some launch points on the lower Niagara. My question is how far up the lower Niagara can you paddle and still be able to fish with out fighting the current too much? From google maps it looks like the current picks up around the Queenston/Lewiston Bridge. Is the water still fishable from a kayak upriver from the bridge? How about up to the discharge of the power station just upriver from the bridge? From the maps it looks like it should be a good spot to fish if the current isn't too strong for the yak. BTW: the kayak I fish from is a 9.5ft sit in Perception.

Thanks

You won't be able to paddle and fish the lower very well. If you go for a recreational paddle and that's it, you'll be fine. The currents are way too strong to do both. Try the upper instead, many good launch points and the current is much more manageable. I might put in there this evening actually. Pm me if you are interested in joining.

You won't be able to paddle and fish the lower very well. If you go for a recreational paddle and that's it, you'll be fine. The currents are way too strong to do both. Try the upper instead, many good launch points and the current is much more manageable. I might put in there this evening actually. Pm me if you are interested in joining.

Thanks for the response. I would love to join you, unfortunantly I am still in Ohio. I am making a trip up this weekend and I have a job interview on Monday in St.Catharines but I don't think there will be much time for fishing until I get settled up there.

What are you fishing for on the upper? It looks like the smallie fishing is great! Nice screen name too!!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

What its like paddling downriver of the Queenston boat launch? Would you say the current is just as bad as what you seen near the launch? Will these currents make you flip over? I wouldn't want to be stuck in the main current out in the middle but down river past the jet boat launch looks ok, but I've never seen the water around there.

I am tempted to put my new hobie outback in there for a test in the spring, but if you think its unsafe, I won't bother.

• 2 weeks later...

What its like paddling downriver of the Queenston boat launch? Would you say the current is just as bad as what you seen near the launch? Will these currents make you flip over? I wouldn't want to be stuck in the main current out in the middle but down river past the jet boat launch looks ok, but I've never seen the water around there.

I am tempted to put my new hobie outback in there for a test in the spring, but if you think its unsafe, I won't bother.

It's not that bad once you get past the eddy. The rest of the river is quite calm. It can be a ***** paddling back up if you let yourself go far down. I would launch from the boat club and paddle upriver. This way you can just drift back. From Brown's point to the boat club the water is nice and you can catch a few back eddies to help going up stream. Lots of bass in there in the summer. I'd wait until the water had warmed up though just in case you dump.

• 8 months later...

Archived