What Kayak Does Everybody Use?

yakfish

Why not have a thread where we can show of our kayaks? So what kayak do you own and how do you like it? Lets see you pics!

Heres mine It is a 9.5 ft Perception Sundance. It fishes very well and is quite stable and really has quite a bit of storage room behind the seat. I can fit a tent or a folding chair behind the seat along with my anchor!

0604121920.jpg

I have no clue how to post a picture...

but I got..

Wilderness Tarpoon Sit on top 100 and 140.

also OceanKayak Trident 13

all 3 equiped with Hummingbird 385ci and 2 rod holders~

Quite the collection. I have the tarpon 100 all rigged up too.

I use Hobies can't beat the Mirage Drive system of a Hobie for covering big water and hands free fishing. I have three Hobie models - Adventure, Pro Angler and Quest.

All their boats are bullet proof and top of the heap in performance, hands down.

Kayak? Pish posh, a true gentleman paddles with a single blade!

P51800181.jpg

Storage room is...ahem..."improved" over a kayak, even for a salmon sized net. And yes, it will even outrun a Hobie.

A good canoe will cost more than a kayak, but it will paddle better, the paddle weighs 1/2, carry more gear without windage, and my lap & butt stays dry.

And after chasing salmon all week on Lake Ontario you can use it on the weekends to get into backlakes up North full of fish that haven't seen a lure all season.

100_0720800x600.jpg

Howd ur canoe make out on Lake O lately??

No canoe will outrun a Hobie pedal drive and I will take that challenge anyday, They do not handle better unless then have a keel and rudder. You can't rig FA on them.

The ONLY advantage a canoe has is for portaging, nothing else.

Get ur head out of ur azz Chris and see it for what it is.

Howd ur canoe make out on Lake O lately??

No canoe will outrun a Hobie pedal drive and I will take that challenge anyday, They do not handle better unless then have a keel and rudder. You can't rig FA on them.

This season has been downright stellar infront of Shell Pier, steady pick of fish since May, all the pigs may be in 200fow but lot's of teenagers & shakers keeping me busy. Today with 40kt gusts, not so much. Then again with 6' whitecaps topping the piers I wouldn't be out there in a Hobie either.

And if you want to race, you better rig up a sail. The Mirage drive may be the queen of the short & wide poly plastic rec kayaks, but against an actual paddling boat it will lose. The local paddling shop here has an annual canoe race over a 5 mile course, I ran it with an avg of 5.8mph. And swinging a light single blade is a cakewalk.

No keel, no rudder, because they're not needed. Rigging? I've got a pair of fixed rod holders and a tackle bag under the seat, the whole rest of the boat is just one big storage well without having to drill, rivet or Goop. No rocket launchers, no leashes, no bungees, no breaking out the drill to mount pounds of crap to the boat, because there's zero need to do that in an open canoe.

Handling? Are you kidding? No three point turns, no buying a sailing rudder to have a turning circle smaller than a football field, no cart needed to get down to the beach, and I don't throw my back out putting it on the roof of my car. You really think a canoe can't turn inside a Hobie making a left? Poking around a shoreline it's even worse, I can make a 360 turn while sitting completely stationary, and if I want to go in reverse I can paddle backwards! OMFG!

The ONLY advantage a canoe has is for portaging, nothing else.

Get ur head out of ur azz Chris and see it for what it is.

Ever occur to you why I've paddled canoes for twenty years and never picked up a Hobie?

There's more to the world of canoes than the 16' fiberglass pig leaning against every cottage or a foam sponsoned Sportspal, the same way kayaks are more than the Pelican hanging off the ceiling of Crappy Tire. Solo canoes have been popular in the US for a long time, a lot longer than the plastic SOT has been around, you just don't see them often on this side of the border. For the cost of a plastic Hobie there are a bunch of better composite canoes.

The ONLY advantage a Hobie has is it's easier for an unskilled n00b to get out on the water without flipping.

You've seen how fat I am, I'm certainly not burning any extra calories paddling around for hours. Maybe I should pick up a Hobie, the extra effort they take to go anywhere would certainly do me good. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a Nucanoe Frontier 12 ft. Paddles great. Plenty of room on board for both my son and myself with all our crap that we take with. Its a bit heavy, but one you figure out how to handle it, its relatively easy to load by yourself. Any kayak is good cos a bad days fishing on your kayak is better than a good day at work. LOL.

Just a cheapie 8' Pelican bought from CT with a few holes drilled to place rods and industrial velco strips on the front and back to hold the portable humminbird case and tackle bags.

I would invest in something nice like an ocean or hobie in the 10'+ range, but I have nowhere to store it because I live in an apartment. I don't mind leaving my cheapie pelican against the wall of the parking garage, but I would have reservations about something that was an actual investment.

Was thinking of purchasing a good, durable raft and an electric motor. They are a lot easier to fish out of and all the pieces can be stored in a closet.

Liberty 13 sit in. Made in London by Nova Craft. Reasonably priced, very comfortable with a good seat back, indestructible, untippable... and I'm 6'1" and 265 lbs.

Don't actually fish out of it, it's too annoying. Make a cast to the shore, then you're drifting in, have to drop the rod and correct with the paddle, then you're off on another tangent and the flyline is wrapped around you like spaghetti.

How people fish out of a yak and are able to actually concentrate on fishing out a cast is beyond me.

Great for running rivers. Bounces off boulders. About 60 lbs, easy to drag around. Skeg goes down if you want better tracking, or up if you're running over timber or want more maneuverability.

Pontoon boat is better for fishing, but it's slow and still a pita to fish out of.

• 1 year later...

I see pictures like this all the time and I wonder where these amazing spots are. I mostly see carp infesting the water in my paddling area which is why I target them most.

I've pulled a few descent smallies out of that stretch of river! I lost one there about 3 years ago that still haunts me! I cast out a weightless soft jerkbait, then set down my rod to adjust the position of my kayak only to see my line shoot sideways. I dropped my paddle but I couldn't get a good hook set. The fish lept about a foot out of the water shot me a smirk that said, "you're not getting me today" and was gone!

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my beautiful boat :)
Finally figured out how to post pictures. Took this last July or something. Found a winding creek and put the rods away and chased ducks.

Posted Image

Archived