Blatant Attack On Our Fishing Rights. Martindale Pond Access Denied‏

knightfisher

so... does this mean that the city decided to do this (government or municipality) ?

or was this done by the owners of the Island (Rower people, or private owners) ?

whom ever decided to do this must have had somekind of permit right?

this really upsets me, as a public person we should all be able to enjoy this water way.. Rowers have their side, leave the other side alone and public...

When i was in high school and i was in rowing, we used to row on both sides and do laps in a complete circle.. The idea was to eliminate traffic so boats wern't travelling head on towards each other and reduce risk of collision..

I just hope they arn't planning on changing the course so this can be done more frequently during practices...

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yakfisher might be on to something here. The regatta is next week. Imagine a bunch of canoes and kayaks delaying the races in protest! Is anyone planning on anything like this? Should we be?

Meatface

A couple weeks ago while speaking with a resident on Martindale pond, he informed me they were trying to deny people access and giving him a hard time about using his motor boat. He gave me some insight about a meeting that happened approximately 25 years ago with the local cabinet sitting in on the meeting. After all arguments the local cabinet supposidly made the decision that while events like the Henley Regatta were on, or big races, access was for rowers only. However, in the event that there was no races taking place or rowers were just practicing, access is to be granted for everyone. However, other boats are not allowed to cut through racing lanes. Might be a good start to look further into this when going to the paper and fighting this case.

Just fired off an email to the two Ward 6 councillors, Len Stack and Bruce Williamson. There email addresses are as follows:

lstack@stcatharines.ca and bwilliamson@stcatharines.ca

My message to them is as follows, in case anyone wants to send them a message and need some ideas:

Mr. Stack & Mr. Williamson,

As councillors of the ward in question my first stop is with you. It was recently discovered that there has been some work done on Henley island which it appears is to limit shore access for fishing and or launching small watercraft.

There are some questions that I would like to have answered and I would like to give you the opportunity to answer them before I move on to other means. The questions are as follows:

1. Why were these boulders placed on the shoreline?
  2. Is the island, or any part of it public property with access rights for the general public?
  3. Was proper procedure followed in altering the waterway? (Contact with the Ministry of Natural Resourcs and or the Ministry of the Environment)
  4. Is city protocol to have public hearings on changes like this?
  5. Were there public hearings?
  6. Does the city of St.Catharines support public access to its waterways?
  7. Was this work done by the city or the rowing club?
  8. If the work was done by the rowing club was it authorized by the city?

I would certainly hope that this was not an attempt by the city or the rowing club to limit access to the waterway as it will only create future problems for all involved. There have already been people who have sustained injury and or narrowly escaped injury trying to work around these rocks. Tax paying citizens have the same right to access their waterways as the rowing club does.

I trust that you will look into this situation and address my concerns in an expedited manner. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Regards,

Lol...I have also just emailed Brian McMullan asking for input on the laws passed regarding the pond. I will post his response if/when I get it.

Well done guys. Some great comments and ideas. Glad to read a number of members are getting involved and contacting city hall and the papers. Every voice has an effect and can make a difference and make changes to the good.

Another idea and way to get more allies on board is contacting various canoe/kayak clubs of Niagara and of southern Ontario. You can bet some of these clubs will take notice as well as other newspapers. Newspapers love stories like these. You can use google, and will find many clubs to contact to get our story out.

I'm sure there are numerous papers, clubs and out door groups that would be interested in what's happening here. It would be greatly appreciated if some of our members can contact some of these clubs.

This all takes time and effort and it's great to see such a positive response

I realize Martindale pond fishing only represents a very small part of NFNs members. Many members fish the Niagara and Welland rivers, Lakes Erie and Ontario, and various other waters.

But as can be seen, this situation affects all of us and our rights to enjoy the outdoor activities.

Any and all effort of our members to help out whether they post on this topic or not, is appreciated.

A simple call or e-mail can make a difference. I am also asking the many guests that visit our site to also help out. This affects us all.

Perhaps one of the Mods could pin this, as to keep it in the public eye.

Again, thanks to all who are getting involved and keep it up.

Dan

As a fisherman and someone who has always enjoyed canoeing Martindale Pond, I too am bothered by this ignorance. If nothing comes out of using the proper channels count me in on whatever action is decided upon.

I have just got off phone with marlene bergsma a city hall reporter for the st. cats standard and she is looking for more feedback from people from this site.

Please contact her at 905-684-7251 ex 229.

Please thank Marlene for her time and help getting this story out.

One of the access spots to launch a small craft is Rennie Park at P.Dalhousie . I have been fishing from shore there for many years & have seen many canoes come into the park to make a stop at Tim Hortons etc. & I have kept an eye on their canoes while they visited . They have a sigh at Tims & the other businesses there saying you must stay on the premises while your vehicle is in the parking lot ......And I heard from a few people that the main parking lot closest to the pond is city owned and is not affected by the parking policy . We may need to have a "fish-in" and fill this parking lot with canoe.yak carrying vehicles one day . If others can't find parking to patronize the businesses we can tell them we would normally be parking on the island but have been forced to park at Rennie to pursue our rightful use of this waterway . I think we are wise enough to keep out of the way of the rowers and not interfere in any way with the races . Gives us our fair share of this little piece of inner city paradise like other cities do . They took the rights of gas operated boats away from anglers/boaters who used the old Rec.canal in Welland .....maybe they should move the official racing competition there also......no weeds to contend with , smoother clearer water , lots of room on the banks for spectators........One more thing .....when speaking/writing to city councilors etc., it may be a good idea to direct them to this fishing board to read what we have to say........

One of the access spots to launch a small craft is Rennie Park at P.Dalhousie . I have been fishing from shore there for many years & have seen many canoes come into the park to make a stop at Tim Hortons etc. & I have kept an eye on their canoes while they visited . They have a sigh at Tims & the other businesses there saying you must stay on the premises while your vehicle is in the parking lot ......And I heard from a few people that the main parking lot closest to the pond is city owned and is not affected by the parking policy . We may need to have a "fish-in" and fill this parking lot with canoe.yak carrying vehicles one day . If others can't find parking to patronize the businesses we can tell them we would normally be parking on the island but have been forced to park at Rennie to pursue our rightful use of this waterway . I think we are wise enough to keep out of the way of the rowers and not interfere in any way with the races . Gives us our fair share of this little piece of inner city paradise like other cities do . They took the rights of gas operated boats away from anglers/boaters who used the old Rec.canal in Welland .....maybe they should move the official racing competition there also......no weeds to contend with , smoother clearer water , lots of room on the banks for spectators........One more thing .....when speaking/writing to city councilors etc., it may be a good idea to direct them to this fishing board to read what we have to say........

I have in my email to standard....

Hey all, I just finished writing to the rest of the city councillors 12 in all and the mayor. You can do the same, it's fast, just cut and past your message. Just google St.Catharines city hall councillors and their names come up with their e-mail address. If you would like to see what I wrote send me a PM.

Again great response and ideas, lets keep it up.

Dan

I'm pasting the response I got from Len Stack already this morning:

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns regarding some Henley Island water access alterations..

I am copying your email to the Mayor and some senior staff and requesting that they direct the appropriate staff to get in touch with you and provide answers to your questions. You should be hearing from staff within a couple of days.

I am also requesting that staff copy me any and all correspondence regarding this important issue.

Respectfully,

Glad to see that Mr. Stack replied quite quickly. He was one of my teachers in high school, and I found him to always be a good guy.

I really hope this situation gets rectified because I've fished in Martindale lots of times either in my canoe or crawdad with elect. motor...

Again great job every one.

So far I have received five e-mails, from the city councillors, basically stating

they are passing these concerns to the mayor and other staff.

City Hall is now aware of the current situation.

Keep up the great work guys and gals.

Dan

As can be seen in these new pictures below a area about 10X10 has had rocks

and stones dumped at the shore line. This spot is about 8 feet to the left from the large boulders.

Looking at the pictures it can be clearly seen

that these stones are the same size as the stones dumped infront of the huge boulders

obstructing our access. This is an alteration of the shore line. The plants and vegetation

have now been killed as a result. I am interested in finding information to find out if the

ministry of environment and or the ministry of Oceans and water were contacted and

gave permission to who ever placed these boulders and stones in place.

DSCN3196.jpg

DSCN3194.jpg

DSCN3192.jpg

DSCN3191.jpg

I am very pleased with the replies and efforts many members are taking.

Some of the members may think, well it's being taken care of, and they are correct

to a degree. We are still waiting for responses from city hall and such, but this will

all take time.

So in the meantime please take a moment and contact the papers and or city hall.

Every bit helps and every solitary letter sent out has great effects.

Again, keep up the great work.

Dan

please please please....call marlene at the number left earlier in this topic like I said she is a city hall reporter and she wants to take pictures and run the story.

just incase you missed it you can contact her at 905-684-7251 ex. 229.

She needs more input for her story.

Just got an email from the mayor.

Good Afternoon Mr. Webb,

Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention. I want to clarify that City staff was not aware that these boulders have been placed along the water’s edge on Henley Island. It was not until I was alerted by several members of the kayaking/canoeing community that I started looking into the issue. I apologize for any upset this has caused to you.

Henley Island is leased to the Canadian Henley Rowing Corporation by the City and they in turn collect user fees from the various Rowing Clubs who use the island and the facilities for their rowers. I have learned from Mr. Jim Minards, a board member of the CHRC who is also associated with the St. Catharines Rowing Club, that he had been involved with the arrangements to have the boulders placed due to safety concerns along the water. When speaking to Mr. Minards I made it very clear that it was inappropriate to act on a decision which blocks public access to the water without pursuing the proper approvals and permissions.

My office will be arranging a meeting with the appropriate parties for mid August to discuss how to rectify this situation to the satisfaction of all. Included will be representation from City staff and ward councillors, the Canadian Henley Rowing Corporation, the rowing club as well as representation the canoeing/kayaking community.

Once again, I appreciate you bringing this to my attention and I look forward to coming to discussing the matter further in the coming weeks.

Best regards,

Brian

Brian McMullan

Mayor

City of St. Catharines

After getting the email from the mayor I suggest we put together a committee and ask to represent at the meetings to be sure that our voices are heard. Anyone interested please PM me, I know that I'd definitely like to be involved in any capacity that I can. I do know that if we are going to ask to be represented in these meeting we'd better get a fire under our asses as this may happen quickly!

Meatface

KUDO's on your efforts to bring awareness to this Situation.

Up here in TORONTO, we recently had a "similiar" issue.

Unfortunately, it involved access to the ENTIRE WATERFRONT.

My words of advice are this:

- Continue to email, phone & spread the word (IN a CALM & POLITE MANNER!)

- Organize a simple yet effective "GRASS ROOTS" commitee to represent

Remind the CITY that it is the RIGHT & ENJOYMENT of all (NOT JUST FISHING) for EVERYONE to have access to Public lands.

* Way too many "Private Organizations" will try to gain control of lands that are NOT THEIRS (public) and use LAME EXCUSES of "SAFETY" as the reason for their actions.

Up here in TORONTO, this pathetic excuse was used.

* 3 "incidences" in 7 years (All were frivilous).

In the short term:

- Pick up the Garbage

- Be polite and Courtious ("the better man")

- Avoid any "Confrontations"

REMIND the CITY about:

- Votes

- Economic benefits

- Enjoyment of the land by it's CITIZENS

GOOD LUCK

UPDATE: Send letters/emails, phone calls & voice mails to:

- Chamber of Commerce

- All Media Outlets

- Local Fishing Guides and Celebrities (Italo eic.)

- Other "outdoor Groups"

- OFAH

- MNR

*They start by taking away "a little", then the APATHY GROWS ...

Someday, we all wake up to the nightmare of nowhere to go!

"Chocolate Rations have doubled this week" - 1984 George Orwell

Passion is wonderful! However, it also creates an "us versus them" attitude.

I would suggest having "neutral parities" such as: Wife, Co-Worker etc. PROOF READ all correspondance and make sure the "Tone" is good and not threatening. The Central Focus and Message must always be POSITIVE.

You catch more Flies with Sugar - Not Vinegar!

This is awesome ! It's great to see we have a lot of people here who are just as upset about this fiasco as Knightfisher & I . Thanks a lot Blair .....excellent advise !

falls guy ......the main dock was shut down to accommodate the jet boats . It used to be a big sand dock over 80 meters long and now the place is just a small launching dock for the public boaters . I have photos of the sand piles from the 1970's ........it was a great spot for perch.

foot note......I just Googled " Martindale Pond" and lots of info & maps came up on the first thread , including THIS thread . Another thread from the NFN also brought up the subject of canoeing access to fish Martindale Pond ......

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=20780

This is terrible. I have only paddled in here once and regardless of the small fishing success I had, I still thoroughly enjoyed myself because of the sheer natural beauty of the back waters of this pond. It would be a shame to be cut off from using it.

I like the idea of a sit in, but we do it during the regatta and right in front of the grand stand. Try to make the point that we need a safe entry point as well.

I would suggest a more direct, and safer, approach would be a protest on the mainland side of the Henley bridge. As rowers and organizers cross, the picket line causes delays. All the better if comeone like CHCH News is on hand with cameras rolling.

Great Job guys....I still think that the way to get them to act fast is to report it to the Ministry of Environment or Natural resources. It is illegal to alter a shoreline without permissions

http://www.dfo-mpo.g...s-on/05-eng.htm Shoreline modifications without approval can result in hefty fines and could

also include fines to the City as well.

Great Job guys....I still think that the way to get them to act fast is to report it to the Ministry of Environment or Natural resources. It is illegal to alter a shoreline without permissions

http://www.dfo-mpo.g...s-on/05-eng.htm Shoreline modifications without approval can result in hefty fines and could

also include fines to the City as well.

The ministries won't act quickly, unless they are pressured. That lesson was learned with the 15 Mile Creek bull.

Archived