Blatant Attack On Our Fishing Rights. Martindale Pond Access Denied‏

knightfisher

Anglers in Niagara have been losing fishing access to more and more areas each year.

In NOTL a well know area is now for residents only. Queenston docks are now closed to the

public. A few areas on the upper Niagara are now restricted. The aqueduct in Port Robinson is

fenced off. All of Lake Gibson now has signs all over the place saying no trespassing etc etc.

Now the latest is Henley Island.

As I pulled up today to launch my canoe I was shocked to see what had been done.

Henley Island Drive is a public road as is the bridge and the area to the right, about fifty yards,

which one can either park and fish, or turn around and leave.

The rest of the island is rented off the city by the rowing club. I heard the rent was one dollar per year.

Well someone, either the city or the rowing club, decided to try and discourage people from

fishing these areas and launching their canoes, kayaks or small tinnys. The areas shown in the pictures

below were a little challenging to begin with, but now with all these boulders dropped in place, it

makes it a hazard to say the least.

This is just not me complaining about losing a fishing spot or access to the pond, it's for anyone who

enjoys the beauty of the area by canoe, such as Pete Morro and his wife.

When I pulled up today I met them and another couple who were trying to launch there canoe.

Like myself, they were extremely upset with what they saw.

Pete Morro has been canoeing Martindale for many years and is shocked now, that he and his wife

will no long be able to enjoy the area.

Peter is upset enough that he told me he is going to contact the paper and tell his story.

I have been launching here for over 20 years and there has never been any erosion occurring here,

and though a few people fish here, there has never been a problem with litter in this area as long as I have been fishing here.

Now because these boulders are there, there is a chance someone may hurt themselves, thus giving

either the city or the club more of a reason to stop fishing there totally because of the danger including trying

to launch there. Actually the young couple that launched their canoe had a mishap as the woman slipped

and fell. I also slipped and fell as well, but was able to recover quickly. It was the first time I have ever fallen

trying to launch my canoe.

Who had the authority to do this and how much did this cost ? Who paid for it ? There had to be at least

a dump truck to carry the boulders there, and a backhoe to unload them and place them.

I would love to go public with this, but the power elite have a lot more influence and control of situations

like this.

If anyone has any ideas on how to forward our rights as the little guys please let me know.

I have taken numerous people out on the pond for a days fishing, some from this this site,

and after being contacted about the current situation they are upset about this situation as well.

Many feel more and more of our rights are being taken away from us.

How many more fishing spots will we lose before we try to do something about it.

Hopefully before it's too late.

Pete Morro and his wife along with another guy deciding how to go about launching

his canoe

DSCN3175.jpg

DSCN3169.jpg

Blatant attempt to stop people from accessing the water.

DSCN3170.jpg

DSCN3176.jpg

DSCN3172.jpg

This couple along with their two children have to fish around the boulders, where

as it use to be a nice safe spot to fish and was the spot most of us would launch

our canoes.

DSCN3171.jpg

DSCN3188.jpg

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poopie. Certainly looks like they are intentionally trying to restrict access to the pond. Not that this is anywhere near being okay, but I have often launched from Martindale rd. Park in the green ribbon trail parking, walk the canoe down the hill and launch on the right. Maybe a few of us could go down there at night and use some old fashioned leverage technique to move the rocks :)

It almost looks like they are trying to reinforce the banks from erosion? I would make sure you know exactly why they were put in place before going public. If its erosion issues (doubt it by the way), or if it's trying to deter people from accessing the creek

Thanks by the way for bringing my attention to the fact that this is a public park. All the years growing up in Martindale and I never knew this. The rowing club always made it 'feel' like private property to me. After a quick check it is indeed public and there is parking! Google maps makes it very apparent. And the city website shows that it is a park. http://www.stcathari...enleyIsland.asp

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=72+Henley+Island+Dr.+St.Catharines&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x89d351426bd4cf93:0xe8e3f8658cc98f23,72+Henley+Island+Dr,+St+Catharines,+ON&gl=ca&ei=X_oWUImCHsH6qAGG4YGYAQ&ved=0CAcQ8gEwAA

Meatface

It really is too bad......We're fortunate to be living in an area where there is an abundance of water, yet the places that I can fish from shore, with my son, are limited......and it seems to be getting worse......All levels of government should be going out of their way to give the public, better access to shore fishing.....There are much worse things that our teens could be out doing, rather than fishing.......................

This is "deja vue" to Bigugli & I ! :angry: Some of you may recall what happened at Charles Daley Park where another "elite" completed gutted the shore line of trees and all water vegetation & logs to give himself a better "view" and make a launching pad for his private little boats . This is just another case of the rowing club elites doing whatever they wish for "their" playground ! I'm sure they have an excuse at hand to cover their dirty deeds and will blame canoeists for ruining the pond with large wakes & leaving garbage etc . <_< . I have seen the new signs at Gibby , & just lately , the "securitymobile" patrolling the 12 Mile to tell anglers to get away from the forthcoming "tidal wave" when the OPG open the gates of destruction & we will be swept away !! :huh: We are being assaulted ....challenged , and disrespected ! We need to get this crap out into the limelight .....like the anglers in Toronto did when "no fishing" signs were posted along the waterfront . It made the paper , was challenged and the anglers won ! We need to get this printed in the local newspaper , and use the "poor mans newspaper" , Facebook & Twitter to expose what is happening as the rich snub us regular folks who have as much right to OUR resources as they think they have . It may come down to a show of force and we could have a "canoe-yak in" down there and fill the pond with people who want to keep what little we have left ! I hope this stirs enough people to say , enough !!

......THIS $HIT REALLY PISSES ME OFF............................ :th_fudd: .................... :slap:

Your welcome meatface. Yes I know about the green ribbon. However if one decides to canoe and fish alone, now they are going to need canoe wheels to get all their gear and canoe down that 100 yard walk. Henley Island is like ten feet.

As I mentioned in the post there has been no errosion in this area for as long as I have using the area over 20 years. Also the last three pictures show the rocks are to block access as they are nowhere near enough to the waters edge to stop errosion, which is not and has not occured.

Bill, gates of destruction, lol hahaha.

I have already contacted the St.Catharines Standard. Waiting for a response.

It almost looks like they are trying to reinforce the banks from erosion? I would make sure you know exactly why they were put in place before going public. If its erosion issues (doubt it by the way), or if it's trying to deter people from accessing the creek

We have been shore fishing these spots for many years Rick , and there has been no erosion . The bottom is lines with smaller rocks and it hasn't changed at all ....even with the steady southerly winds blowing in against that bank .

a little add on.......We have TWO parks for the public to enjoy......Rennie Park & JC Park which both have "WATERFRONT" for the PUBLIC to enjoy . Many cities like Hamilton ( Bay Front Park) have access for boaters . I'm not asking to allow big boats with outboard motors in Martindale , but why take away the rights of people who want to enjoy a canoe trip and enjoy nature ?

You can still fish as long as you can. Nobody here is saying "give up".

I will but to keep a 3 year old that has a short attention span may get difficult but it's worth a shot he may like it there i know i did when i was younger.

Update---I have just been informed that a St.Catharines councillor has taken up this situation and is quite annoyed. He has fired off letters to a few other councillors and the mayor as well. I will not release his name until I am given permission to do so.

People can change current conditions, but actually have to do something. Anyone interested in correcting this wrong, feel free to contact the St.Catharines Standard as I have, and contact the city councillors as welll. Google will give you all the e-mail addresses necessary.

Dan

We need to get this crap out into the limelight .....like the anglers in Toronto did when "no fishing" signs were posted along the waterfront . It made the paper , was challenged and the anglers won !

The Toronto Waterfront issue is a great example of fighting for your rights as fishermen and fisherwomen.

People should not "willingly" give up fishing access spots. (Doing nothing results in just that). Some may have a voice in their head saying "What can I do? There is no way my opinion can make a difference..." But soo many little voices came out in TO, and that is why they can still fish the waterfront today.

Think about your children and grandchildren who may like fishing as much as you do...Protect our future...

looks to me like theyre just trying to keep people with anything bigger than a canoe or kayak out of there...It's just a few rocks guys...you can keep fishing there :S

One of the main points of this issue is who was in charge of ordering the rocks to be dumped . We supposedly have very strict rules to change or deface the natural waterline of places like the pond . Special permits are required to cut down a tree or put in a small dock & people have been fined for changing the natural shoreline . How are these people able to get away with doing this ?? I know one of the big wigs of the rowing club is former mayor Rigby and his elite buddies still have a lot of clout to sway our present spend thrift mayor , McMullen . As Bigugly said , we low lifes are just a thorn in their sides . I hope we can prick them good !

I get what everyone here is saying and I agreee that shorelines should not be changed without permission. In this case though, I think you have to pick your battles. They could easily put up a fence along the road there and then access really would be "denied". Hopefully this works out for all the people who fish down there, I would hate to see another fence go up in Niagara.

Good for you Knightfisher for taking up the fight and contacting your councillor. Smerch is right, altering a shoreline of any type without the permission can result in big fines. Might be worth contacting the Ministry to see the who and whys of this? Any kind of shoreline modifications must be authorized.

Maybe a load of rocks needs to land on the henley bridge next week? After all it won't stop you from rowing.

It would appear that there are many of small mind who misunderstand the post. The above statement is a tongue in cheek response to a comment made by thoroldfisher "It's just a few rocks guys...you can keep fishing there :S "

Martindale is one of my favorite spots. I have tons of great days there, so when I saw the boulders blocking my usual point of entry, I was upset beyond words. I was going in regardless! I slipped on the @*#%#@ rocks and messed up my leg. Not pleased at all. What to do?

We have every right to use the land and water, but the rowing club doesn't see it that way. I plan to contact the city and local paper regarding this and I think this will take numerous complaints to get any positive results. Will we get easy access, or a new fence ?

Great efforts Knightfisher.

If you hurt yourself getting in, maybe a lawsuit would get some attention.

it was good seeing you today Dan.... sad to see all this happen also....

went out first time WITH my wife....

trying to convince her to like kayaking.... first thing I showed her today was.... they made launching kayaking harder.... sad...

well... I think I am gonna talk to few people tmr that works for city hall. find out what happened there...

Thanks for posting heavy cover , and welcome to the NFN . I have probably seen you out there on the water while fishing from shore near the bridge . It's nice to see a new member join in and do something constructive to help keep our future fishing areas open for our kids and their kids...... :Gonefishing:

For those who appreciate fishing from shore, or fishing from small craft like canoe & kayaks or just paddling and enjoying what nature has to offer us , I have made a map of the area that we are speaking about . I hope the local papers and writers like D.Herod take an interest in this an we who are interested in keeping what little is left of our local nature spots keep on the city councilors to stop us from being shut out of Martindale Pond .This maps shows the whole area where the races take place as well as where we like to canoe , yak & fish .

Henley%2520-Rennie-JC%2520Park.jpg

Pink line.......rowing course ,about 1000 meters

Lime green lines.......where we like to paddle & fish

Red dots .....some points to launch a canoe ......the double red dot on the island is the best spot for a short carry

As you can see , the spots to the left of the island are full of weeds and not really good for rowers . They must bring in a barge and destroy the weed beds in order to create a wide pathway for the rowers . THEY DO NOT NEED TO USE THIS SMALL BODY OF WATER !! There is plenty of space to practice in the main channel of the 12 Mile Creek where they race ! There is room for EVERYONE ! But ,it seems they want it ALL and we can find somewhere else to enjoy our thing . I will wait for the Standard to investigate & do a story on this before I write to a few others who may help us . We cannot let this get swept under the rug and I hope to see a little interest a least from some members here that obviously have greater interests in big water fishing .

This is terrible. I have only paddled in here once and regardless of the small fishing success I had, I still thoroughly enjoyed myself because of the sheer natural beauty of the back waters of this pond. It would be a shame to be cut off from using it.

I like the idea of a sit in, but we do it during the regatta and right in front of the grand stand. Try to make the point that we need a safe entry point as well.

Archived