Blatant Attack On Our Fishing Rights. Martindale Pond Access Denied‏

knightfisher

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done Dan , we win some & we lose some . In this case I believe there was enough hell raised to get the attention of a lot of people from both sides And we were willing the push the issue more if needed . As was stated in the "negotiations" , we will do our part to inform fellow canoeists to respect the rowers AND keep the place clean . C U on the H20 ......... :thx:

• 2 months later...

Update on canoe/kayak launch.

The new fence has been erected. Some landscaping has been done.

There is an old dock about 80' or so that has to be removed.

This will take some time.

But nice to see progress is being made.

Dan

Great to have people like yourself knightfisher who are instrumental at making things happen, even though i dont live down that way im sure i can speak for those who do. Thankyou.

What's the timeframe on this launch cause I'm edging to get my kayak out there. Is it on schedule?

It's going to take a number of weeks before the canoe/kayak launch is complete.

There is a huge old dock that has to be removed. That alone is going to be a big job.

In the mean time you can launch at the old launch area by the first fence. Just have to

go over the rocks. Should not be much of a problem if you have a light kayak.

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

Was down there last weekend. Not much has changed since they put up the new fence. Seem to be dragging their heels. We have been more than respectful and plenty patient. Sort of pisses me off that they are taking their time like this.

• 2 weeks later...

Received word today that the old dock removal and grading for the canoe launch should be complete by Wed. of this coming week, weather permitting.

Open to the public by Thurs :clapping:

Dan

Received word today that the old dock removal and grading for the canoe launch should be complete by Wed. of this coming week, weather permitting.

Open to the public by Thurs :clapping:

Dan

just a word of caution, it is the canadian schoolboy championships this weekend so now would be a good time to show you can play well with others - all of canada will be watching.

just a word of caution, it is the canadian schoolboy championships this weekend so now would be a good time to show you can play well with others - all of canada will be watching.

If I had a Kayak I would avoid the pond for this weekend, it's pretty busy down there but on a side note for you younger guys there are lots of cute little hotties around so scrub yourselfs up and go trolling

ohh excellent. i know where now ... was there this morning before it got too busy. haha was nice to get blocked in by the "launch" by people parking. had one heck of a time pulling the canoe out of the water with all the cars parked there too. oh well, learned my lesson. :)

• 2 months later...

Was just there... great night of fishing on the kayak but why are all the access points blocked off by city barriers?

I thought we were passed all this crap and the rowing club was willing to share the pond?!?!

Was just there... great night of fishing on the kayak but why are all the access points blocked off by city barriers?

I thought we were passed all this crap and the rowing club was willing to share the pond?!?!

I believe the rowing club has gone out of it's way in providing access and sharing the pond, the least the public can do is give them a break a couple times a year so they can successfully run there events. There are other places in Niagara to Kayak during the few weeks the Regattas are running.

I believe the rowing club has gone out of it's way in providing access and sharing the pond, the least the public can do is give them a break a couple times a year so they can successfully run there events. There are other places in Niagara to Kayak during the few weeks the Regattas are running.

wasn't trying to offend anyone. Didn't know it was the regatta.

Sorry dude, but the rowing club has gone out of its way to restrict and deny access and pond sharing. They don't want anyone on that water but themselves. They only bent to political pressure on the launch issue. It took a lot of hard work by Knightfisher to get them to agree to the very restricted access that they now have. But that does not mean that we should be disrespectful. We certainly should respect the races and steer clear. I know I do.

seriously people, why is it so hard to understand that henley pond, created for rowing events 100+ years ago, is used several times a year for major rowing events. this week (august 4-11) just happens to be the world renown, ROYAL CANADIAN HENLEY REGATTA which will see some 4,000 world-wide participants - and their entourages - and their vehicles - and their wallets - converge on port dalhousie and henley island in particular. i, for one, do not think it is unreasonable for the organizers to request all non-rowing parties to stay off the pond during that time.

if you think that you can compete financially with the thousands of rowing folks, local and visiting, then by all means, put your money where your mouth is and drop the same amount of cash on the table that this event will bring to your community. or pay the same $$ that the rowers pay in order to use the facilities. otherwise, just sit back and enjoy the immense fiscal boost that st. catharines receives from rowing and show your appreciation by avoiding the pond for one lousy week. and enjoy it the rest of the year, free of charge.

play nice kids. :)

Sorry Dude, meatface is correct.

First, the club blocked off a clearing on the island, used by us canoest/kayakers, to keep us off the water. Read the two articles in the Standard, links posted earlier in this thread.

Second,as a result of that, I brought it to the attention of the public.

Third, the launch is on city property. The club does not own that part of the island,

however it is rented back to the club.

Fourth, the club didn't do anything except agree on the location of the launch.

Fifth, the city paid the entire cost for the fence and grading of the launch.

Sixth, the club still wants to control access at this launch. The closing of the launch

during the Henley and school boy makes sense. However the club wants a lot more

days closed which is unnecessary and just a control ploy.

There are many other spots to launch on the pond, just not as convienent as the first bulit

launch, for us on the pond. I actually found it surprising when I first moved to this city that

there was not already a launch for canoest and kayakers.

And as always when on the water, stay away from scullers, avoid events aformentioned,

and set a good example.

:Gonefishing:

Archived