Blatant Attack On Our Fishing Rights. Martindale Pond Access Denied‏

knightfisher

Looking for a little info./history about Martindale Pond , I found this to be very interesting . The amount of dredging necessary to maintain water depth for the regattas is an eye opener . They require a minimum 3.5 meters of water to row . If you check the depth in the back ponds it is less than 3.5 m. .....lucky to find 2 m. in spots where they row .....thus the need to destroy the environmental issues they mention in the write up . Read this thoroughly and you may conclude as I have , that the rowers should be restricted to the main channel of the 12 Mile Creek ! I would like to see the MOE take a serious look into allowing weed choppers & dredging machines into this part of the pond !

http://www.smartanglers.com/main/big5/node/747

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My main concern is the environmental issues and ecosystem of the back waters . If you own a house on the shores of the pond , try putting a small dock in the water . The MOE or MNR will have you in court promptly for interfering with the ecosystem . We must hold these values for everyone . Canoeing or kayaking OVER weed beds is no comparison to cutting a 20' wide swath for rowers . I think we need to update our latest environment rules and take a good look at what is happening at Martindale Pond . I believe these inland waters need more protection .

I believe the back waters of the pond are near perfect right now (minus the new rocks). Great depth at the shores and tons of dead fall and over hanging brush. Bass angler heaven. I was in there for most of the day yesterday and had a fantastic day. I would really hate for something to ruin this for the rest of us. I don't think the outlook is too good though. As many people have stated, the rowing community definitely has more pull than us paddlers and anglers. They might get their way and could possibly keep the rest of us from using this little inner city haven. I'm willing to help any way I can

To whoever it was that replied to my first (and only) post in this thread, I didn't know that the water was considered crown land.........

Now, I have to say that I completely agree that cooler heads should prevail here. When some of our members meet with the city, and rowing club officials, it is absolutely imperative that we have both logical arguments against what has been done, and suggestions for compromise. I highly doubt that the rowing club will be satisfied with anything less than "ownership" of the pond, but since that is not likely to happen, we should try to bring something to the table that will at least shut them up.

In addition to signs at access points informing people to stay out of the way of rowers while practicing and competing, perhaps a floating barrier denoting the "boundaries" of the rowing lanes as well as the route that they take back to the starting area could be installed. That should keep us pesky rowers from continually and deliberately interfering with their noble tradition.

I don't know who is (for lack of a better term) in charge of our comittee, but PM me, I've got a few things to send you, regarding this. They may be things already thought of, but if they aren't they might be useful.

I am a PROUD MEMBER of TUFA - Toronto Urban Fishing Amabassadors

http://torontourbanfishing.com/

We were Established to Fight For Our Rights to have access.

Some excellent "real life experiences" and ACTION PLANS may also be of help with your fine cause.

I hope someone caught this. This guy can help?

there have been posts about getting together before meeting with the mayor and I have left a few PM's about wanting to get involved but got no response.

are we still going to be getting together and let "level heads prevail" to come up with some concerns/solutions before we meet with the mayor?

Has anyone thought up a date or location to meet?

Even though "some" of the rowing club members have shown some aggressive (hostile) behavior towards a few of the canoe/kayak boaters , we must keep this situation cool and take no other action until after we have the meeting . I am a member of the SCGFA & the OFAH and have lived in St.Catharines for all of my 69 years . I have seen many changes to our waterways over the years and I can tell you we anglers have lost a LOT of fishing spots . I would like to see more of them re-opened to anglers since the population has grown and there are many families that take their kids out fishing , riding bicycles on the trails , and taking to the waters with canoes & kayaks . We must do our best to keep the doors open for people to enjoy what little space we have left in the St.Catharines /Niagara area for all to enjoy . We have plenty of other avenues to pursue if we cannot come to a compromise , but I'm sure we will come to a simple agreement at the meeting .

I doubt we will get into talking about all the "alternative" fishing/launching places . We would simply like to have a safe convenient spot to put our little yak into the water . The island spot is the best spot to do this . I have posted on the Standards write up to tell their readers (which ,btw are 99% in our favour) , that we have a meeting after the races are finished and I believe neither party wants to push this issue any more than necessary . I'm sure we can compromise without the need to make bigger waves........Please remember , a defeatist attitude will get one nowhere . :worthy: ......... :Gonefishing:

Hey guys how is it going? Have not posted in ages because of work and other reasons have not been doing a lot of fishing. That being said I do stop in daily to live the dream through your posts :( I have been following the Henley posts as we fish there quite a bit when we can, is there no updates as to a solution of the rock piles dumped to prevent access to the water?

Good or bad there should be some sort of news very soon. The people with heavy involvement have been rather quiet because it is a rather sensitive issue that requires a great amount of diplomacy. They will meet with the city and rowing corporation. Be patient, the wheels are in motion, this I do know. Results are still unknown, but there will be some word very soon. Please don't think that everyone has just walked away. We have to keep in mind that this thread has many eyes on it and no one wants to start a meeting by trying to pull their foot out of their mouth. Unfortunately we just have to wait. But from what I know we should at least know something shortly. Lets all save our energy for moving forward in a positive way. We've all had our chance to make off the hip remarks, myself included (regretfully), now we need to find a way to be a positive influence in the community. And I don't mean in any way that we have been a negative influence, I just mean that looking forward we need to man up and work on positive solutions to community issues.

Cheers,

Meatface

The meeting has concluded . There were 18 people sitting at the table plus 2 on the sidelines . Two very large maps of the island & waterway were displayed on the table & each side presented their concerns . I was surprised at the large show of people in the room . I am proud to say Knighfisher Dan presented his case very well and to me , was the center of attention . He wasn't bashful expressing himself and firing back his opinions & counter opinions to anyone who he (we) disagreed with . Sadly , we could not come to a compromise . It was plain to me , we are not wanted in Martindale Pond . The rowing club was very persistent to say we are a danger to the rowers and even said "just yesterday there was near collision " They offered to suggest other locations to launch , like Jaycee Park , not taking into account we would have to cross the main rowing course to get to the back ponds . A meeting is being set up soon to get more precise info on the alternatives . I believe , since this has generated so much interest , thanks to this web site , the OFAH , the SCGFA , Canoe/Kayak associations and all the members here who has serious concerns about our great pastimes enjoying what nature has to offer us . We must fight hard to keep these wonderful resources open to all of us . Thanks guys & gals , we need your support and we will win . And thanks again Dan .

If/when this issue gets resolved and if our entry way gets made safer and more accessible, I would love to get a paddle craft bass tournament in there. Photo and measurement style only and do it for charity. I'd definitely be game for helping to organize something if we get enough response.

Hell, maybe even see if Henley would help by donating a prize and opening their ramp to us for the tournament.

Give me some feedback,if its possible and we can guage the interest.

Just a note.......we are trying to keep anything confrontational from happening . There has been canoe & kayaks in there for decades and we have all got along fine ......until this provocative confrontation by the rowing club . We were never a threat and were always friendly to the rowers as they were to us . Let's continue to use diplomacy and goodwill until we have an agreement . Give the practicing rowers lots of room and enjoy your boating experiences .

Hi all,

As Bill said, we were unable to come to a compromise at this time.

There will be communications back in forth to the interested parties,

during the next couple of weeks.

Then there will be another meeting. We are currently working on short term solutions as

well as long term solutions.

Unfortunately all this will take time, so we all have to be patient.

We are open to all suggestions that may expedite this matter.

So feel free to PM me or Bill.

Again thanks to all who PMed me in the past and supported this matter.

Dan

"Just yesterday there was a near collision" ....Well , according to today's (Monday) paper , the printed edition states that 2 kayaks crossed the racing area but not during the race and there were no problems . I find that very odd ! This happened one day before the meeting ? Where did they launch ? We certainly do not want to see yaks or canoes interfering with these important races ! I doubt very much these yakers have anything to with us or our conflict with the rowing clubs directors . I would like to know who these kayakers are . ??

There's lots of cameras down there when the regatta is on, so where's the pictures of the kayaks in the racing lanes?

The newspaper says there are cameras on the finish tower. Shouldn't they have caught this horrific tragedy? http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2012/08/10/henleys-john-of-all-trades

I figured there would be a report like this ... The post of disrupting the regatta ... If I was in the rowing club I'd arrange it to make it look like kayakers are problems ... If I wanted a public rationale that makes the club look good

Archived