Setting The Hook

Dogman

Seems to me I've been losing a lot of fish to bad hook sets. I'm strip setting but I must not be doing it hard enough or maybe not doing it properly. Does anyone have any tips? I went 0-7 yesterday out in the Grand all came unbuttoned after only a few seconds.

Thanks,

Rob

I assume your keeping the line in line and tight if not then keep the line mended . A simply lift of the rod tip works. Do NOT yank the rod top hard or you'll be pulling the fly out of its mouth .always keep a steady pressure bringing the fish in . Loose lines =lost fish and use a well balanced fly with a quality hook

Thanks Cliff, I lost a couple that ran at me and I couldn't strip fast enough. I may be pulling too hard I didn't think of that.

Well simply lift the rod. It moves a lot of line fast and always use sharp hooks. I used to teach fly fishing but no time right now. I may in the fall though and you'll learn a ton in 2 hours

A trout can sample and reject your fly in about 1/3 of a second. Be extremely attentive as soon as your fly contacts the water, get the slack out fast, and keep it out. (Unless you're dry fly fishing and need the slack to counter drag.) Get on top of it, and keep on top of it! Be religious about sharpening hooks, check regularly. Hook size (length and gape) and style may be an issue. Some styles of fly fishing, like pulling streamers, seem to be bad for hooksets, nobody really has a good explanation.

Concentration, close observation, and practice seem to be key. I find after an hour or two on the water my reflexes are honed and hook setting improves noticeably.

Yah I was fishing very muddy water for bass with EP baitfish streamers. I think I was just getting over zealous and trying to set it too hard and too quick. The current was quite fast too. I had the line tight but a couple ran right at me as soon as they were hooked. I just couldn't keep up with them.

If they run at you walk backwards while stripping line in. Once the fish is in control catch the slack line w/ baby finger and get it back onto the spool,you can also do this while walking bakwards if u can keep up with the fish. Just don't do what I did in the upper niagara and get excited and walk backwards from 2 fow into a 5 foot hole in turbulent water.... lost that fish trying to stay alive, also the same day that I found out that a wading belt is always needed!

Good luck.

If they run at you walk backwards while stripping line in. Once the fish is in control catch the slack line w/ baby finger and get it back onto the spool,you can also do this while walking bakwards if u can keep up with the fish. Just don't do what I did in the upper niagara and get excited and walk backwards from 2 fow into a 5 foot hole in turbulent water.... lost that fish trying to stay alive, also the same day that I found out that a wading belt is always needed!

Good luck.

Why is a wading belt always necessary?

I learned that hard way of yanking flies right out of there mouths.... I was to eager when I first started and would just yank the rod up usually I would pull the fly right out, or it would just be a bad hook up, I ended up just lifting my rod up a bit to get a hook set, and the worst is when your stripping as fast as you can but the fish is swimming faster right at you... Lost a decent sized largie to that.... Also depending on the size of the hook and the size of the fish that may be a factor when I was going for bass around a nice sunken tree I would keep getting small bass biting the tail of the streamer and not actually getting the hook..

Why is a wading belt always necessary?

Dont mean to hijack the thread, but a wading belt is to save your life. Without a wading belt and wearing it properly ( snuggly ) around your waist, if you were to fall in the water your waders would fill up with water and that weight combined with the lack of ability to move properly you could be swept downstream. In cold water when steelhead fishing you fall in and water rushes into your waders....panic sets in. ALWAYS wear a wading belt and keep it tight fitting. When you fall in.....and btw you will fall in if you fish enough....you will understand what it does for you, it gives you a chance at getting back your footing and standing up before the water fills and pulls you downstream in the current.

Guest live2fish85

Yep I was fishing Erie off a point near my parents and it was cold enough I put waders on. They weren't my good ones so they weren't tight and no belt. Well I was a couple beers in at that point and stepped to far towards the edge and went in lol. The damn things filled right up and it was about 10' lol I got out no problem but had to dive back down and get them.

Had that of been a quick moving river I would have been in big trouble. Was good for a laugh though. My parents watched it happen as it was still light out. Went home and warmed up with some more beers and a fire lol.

Dont mean to hijack the thread, but a wading belt is to save your life. Without a wading belt and wearing it properly ( snuggly ) around your waist, if you were to fall in the water your waders would fill up with water and that weight combined with the lack of ability to move properly you could be swept downstream. In cold water when steelhead fishing you fall in and water rushes into your waders....panic sets in. ALWAYS wear a wading belt and keep it tight fitting. When you fall in.....and btw you will fall in if you fish enough....you will understand what it does for you, it gives you a chance at getting back your footing and standing up before the water fills and pulls you downstream in the current.

Not to completely undermine your point, because a wading belt is smart, but if they fill up with water,they won't weigh you down or pull you under if you are in the water. The pressure of the water inside of the waders is the same as outside, your buoyancy won't change. Yes, it will be harder to manoeuvre and it will be cold/uncomfortable, but they won't make you sink.

Its a common misconception.

Guest live2fish85

Not to completely undermine your point, because a wading belt is smart, but if they fill up with water,they won't weigh you down or pull you under if you are in the water. The pressure of the water inside of the waders is the same as outside, your buoyancy won't change. Yes, it will be harder to manoeuvre and it will be cold/uncomfortable, but they won't make you sink.

Its a common misconception.

Go give it a try and see what happens they do fill up with water.

This is an interesting point. Logic dictates that full waders should be no big deal... but I've heard guys say they were PINNED TO THE BOTTOM by full waders!!!

Which seems impossible to me.

This is something I really need to test out in a pool with a couple of lifeguards nearby.

Guest live2fish85

Bam. Point proven. Thank you.

Read what I wrote again. I never said they wouldn't fill up, I said they wouldn't make you sink once they have filled.

I never said anything about sinking there all mighty one. I said they do fill up. I said go give it a try. Maybe you should read it again.

That guys got a rack like peter griffin so they were still tight lol. Also if you don't have the belt on they are lose and fall in they take on more water. Put some current in there, not a pool. That current will make more water go in and if its a river it will make it alot harder to get out of them.

So Bam, big guy with a pair of waders that barely fit over his gut and tits jumping in a pool really isn't a good example.

Archived