Jordan Harbour Salmon

Bryan

Back in the 90's sometime I think.. thats when they built the New harbour in Jordan right?

anyways, I know the Salmon have always had a run there, but has it changed much since this consturction?

When I was little we used to go and watch them swim all the way up to Balls Falls during their spawn.. I have done this recently in the past couple of years and noticed the run isn't as heavy as it used to be..

Has anyone else noticed this?

When do they normally run there? I'd be interested in checking this out. Maybe even trying to catch one :)

Yes they still run I used to go all the time started when i was around 5. I have noticed less salmon but i think it's do to the low water flow in there the last few years there has almost been none in baileys bridge and balls falls has been pretty much dry. They used to run september through late october i think.

They run up to Baileys Bridge ... once they enter the creek they really are not feeding but more snapping out of instinct. Same timeline as Port Dalhousie ... you want fun though .. go down to Baily's Bridge on October first and yell THE MNR ARE HERE and watch all the snaggers take off running.

On a personal observation note ... the salmon numbers seem down compared to when I was growing up in the 90s ... but then again we also have a cormorant problem now a days .. so many of the young salmon that are released are prime eating size for the birds ...

Anyone know if there are less being stocked as well?

Watch the seasons and regs that body closes in sept or oct I think but yea they changed all that under the bridge if umember there used to b a Marina there and a water plane lol bringing it back......i remember when I was a kid me and my pops would go there for any/every thing now its mostley fd but fish go through there....

I know they are stocking atlantics now, but they seem to concentrate on other areas where survival may be more likley...? Idunno I know the states stocks a ton.....check ur reg book it tellsu stocking numbers in locations. I'm pretty sure they stock lakers in Jordan dont member tho

The chinook salmon heyday of the 80's and 90's is long gone now. Stocking numbers for lake O are way down but other species have been filling the void nicely. I remember back than it was something special to catch a brown now you cant keep them off all fall! Steelhead numbers seem to be way down too but maybe its just me.

Last year there was alot of King salmon running up the creek and the year before not as much as expected. This year should be better but fishing from shore is lots of fun i have never fished from a boat in lake ontario so i dont know what the difference is.

They run up to Baileys Bridge ... once they enter the creek they really are not feeding but more snapping out of instinct. Same timeline as Port Dalhousie ... you want fun though .. go down to Baily's Bridge on October first and yell THE MNR ARE HERE and watch all the snaggers take off running.

On a personal observation note ... the salmon numbers seem down compared to when I was growing up in the 90s ... but then again we also have a cormorant problem now a days .. so many of the young salmon that are released are prime eating size for the birds ...

Anyone know if there are less being stocked as well?

All of the Chinook Salmon stocking is done by the Ringwood fish culture station. The MNR does not stock any chinook. They continue to stock Atlantics, Browns, Bows, and Lakers. There is about 500,000 Chinooks stocked yearly....looking back at the numbers from 2000 it seems the same. Im sure though the eighties had larger stocks. The US side stocks way more than the Canadian side, but I dont know the numbers. Ringwood is operated by the OFAH and a great number of interest groups and volunteers that keep the put and take Salmon fishing going. As most people already know, this is exactly that...stock and take. Without the Chinook Salmon in the mix, most charter fishing and buisness would suffer. I read somewhere that natural reproduction for chinook is like 1% or somethng. On a good note the Atlantics are making a slow but progressive comeback, so lets hope this takes off in the next few years.

MY opinion...atlantics are a waste of time....i fish out on the lake twice a week and have only ever caught 1......ringwood does all the stocking for chinooks...i'll see if i can pull up some numbers......we were out on sunday and caught 5 salmon all of which were natural reproducers...their adopise fin was still intact

I remember back than it was something special to catch a brown now you cant keep them off all fall! Steelhead numbers seem to be way down too but maybe its just me.

Nah, Jordan had one of the best best Brownie runs in all of Lake O before they put in the new QEW bridge. Landing a dozen was a slow night back in the early-mid 90's.

All of the Chinook Salmon stocking is done by the Ringwood fish culture station. The MNR does not stock any chinook.

That's changed in the last few years, MNR took back Chinook stocking when they opened their shiney new Normandale hatchery.

Please....we will not tolerate personal attacks of other members of this board. Discussion is fine, but keep your personal feelings to yourself.

Looking at some of the areas the salmon run to I am convinced there is more natural reproduction than the reports state.

This comes up a bit from time to time.

My answer to that is "Where are the Coho?" If there was so much natural reproduction there would be plenty of Coho in the rivers, but as soon as the stocking ended the Coho's dried up. A few smaller runs in rivers out East but they can be counted in the hundreds, not thousands.

Places like Jordan Harbour only have fish because of stocking.

Please....we will not tolerate personal attacks of other members of this board. Discussion is fine, but keep your personal feelings to yourself.

?

Did I miss something? The MNR have taken back most of the Chinook rearing in Normandale & Harwood.

There was a giant flame post that's now gone.

Never thought of the coho but looking at some of the creeks I have seen salmon running up ... There is some. These are creeks nowhere near the stocking areas

Cant seem to keep the Coho off in the spring but after the end of May I havent seen a Coho.

Not that I am terribly upset because 1 good king is far more fun then a bunch of Coho.

On a different note, has anyone else noticed that most of the bigger kings they catch do not have an adapose clip?

Of all the chinook I have boated this year the top 10 percent in size are all unclipped.

Makes you wonder if the wild fish are better eaters then the stocked fish or if its just a coincidence.

Guest live2fish85

Cant seem to keep the Coho off in the spring but after the end of May I havent seen a Coho.

Not that I am terribly upset because 1 good king is far more fun then a bunch of Coho.

On a different note, has anyone else noticed that most of the bigger kings they catch do not have an adapose clip?

Of all the chinook I have boated this year the top 10 percent in size are all unclipped.

Makes you wonder if the wild fish are better eaters then the stocked fish or if its just a coincidence.

We got alot of coho out of Bronte this year. Still got some kings but a ton of coho. More coho then rainbow even, which was odd.

That is a good question about the size of the stocked ones. I notice that as well. Although there was a 35# chinook caught last week and it was a natural. I think they just stock more then what spawns in the our streams.

The natural reproduction of salmon on Lake Ontario is far above 1%. That's an old stat that has been flying around online for years.

There are a number of tributaries that are nearly 100% natural reproduction, mostly along the north shore of Lake O, and on the SE shore in NY state.

Yes, there has been a reduction in stocking by Ontario. Then again, some areas were being stocked where natural reproduction doesn't stand a chance...like jordan. That creek just doesn't have a stable enough flow to support it. My guess is, when Ontario cut back on the stocking at the Jordan location, the fish that are now present are probably wandering fish from what the St. Catharines club puts in. As well, NY state still puts good numbers in at the Niagara, I'm sure some of those fish show up in our Niagara area tribs.

Fish utilize the whole lake. You'll see times through the season where you can catch many unclipped kings right here in the st. catharines area. Chances are those are north shore fish, just over here on the feed.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone been out to see if they are moving in? I saw a few people fishing the mouth of the harbour last night on the lake side also can you fish from the conservation area where the old rowing launch used to be? it seems like it would be a fairly good spot.

Ya i figured the wouldn't be up there yet because there is next to no water at the bridge near butterballs hopefulle we get enough rain for them to run to balls falls. I may have to try the mouth one day hopefully it isn't too busy down in that little area...

Will be full of garbage pickers sat morning lol

"Garbage Pickers " ?? We are " environmental stewards of recycling & enhancing natures natural beauty " Look for the people with white suits and wearing nose pegs . Join in on the collection ....... B)

Archived