Product Help!

Beatts19

I am trying to add some lures to my arsenal. All help would be appreciated! :)

What Sizes and Colours are the best for around Niagara and what seasons.(Generally around Welland and St.Catharines)

-Bill Lewis Original Rat-L-Trap

-Rapala Husky Jerk

-Rapala X-Rap

-Bass Pro Shop Enticer Football Head Jig

-Strike King KVD Square Bill

Please take time to go on Bass Pro Shops Website and browse these lures to help me out!

P.S. I am mainy fishing for Large and Smallmouth Bass, but I enjoy going for Pike aswell! + Feel free to suggest lures! :)

Sincere Thanks ~Beatts19

Bass pro shops? Who can afford the lures? Try grimsby tackle or fishing world you'll get those lures and much cheaper. Just the gas to Vaughn kills ya. Lol. I love the white x- rap for largie. I had my fun with those fish :)

It's not about lure size but what your comfortable using and how you present the lures. Once had. 28" pike on a spinner bait a little bigger than a twoonie ... Color varies to each body of water, for example a classic is the perch patterns or fire ... Apart from that as the trout guys say YOU NEED TO MATCH THE HATCH

The general rule is in colder water you go with smaller baits

For the spinnerbaits it is how you work them as the blades give off different vibrations and there are different weights with them. I could tell you fish the perch pattern x-rap it is my favorite but it would be how you fish it ... Slow retrieve, fast retrieve, walk the dog style?

Hey Beatts,

I can see you aren't getting much help...somedays that's the way it is! I am going to assume you are using spinning gear from shore. If yes, go to the lighter/smaller of the baits I am recommending. If you have both, you can go big and small...somedays bigger is better and vice versa.

My personal favs for jerkabaits are the X-Rap XR12 (4 3/4") and XR08 (3 1/8") I have a variety of colours, but my favs are Glass Ghost, Olive, Albino Shiner and Yellow Perch...not Perch, it has to be Yellow Perch. Somedays the colour of your jerkbait won't make much difference because it will be a reaction bite. Other days, you may need to pause the bait for a while, this is where natural baits will shine. Also try the Live Target jerkbaits. The benefit with those baits besides great looking and great action, they are pretty heavy and cast forever, match that weight with light braid and you can cast to the moon. The jerk bait will only be as good as the action you impart. Practice the hell out of getting those baits to dance.

I don't throw too many Rat-L Traps, but silver always seems to work. Again, size depends on what you are using for tackle. I like the Strike King Red Eyes.

KVD Silent I like the bluegill and sexy shad. Also try the Live Target cranks. They are so heavy, you can cast them a country mile, this is nice when you want to throw a smaller profile bait. It will also allow you to throw well past the strike zone, get the bait down, and have a longer period in the strike zone.

Grab some Senkos or YUM Dingers. Those are always great in a pinch. I wacky rig mine on a Gamakatsu Finesse Weedless hook. Wacky or shaky heads work nice when you need a faster falling presentation. Get hooks big enough to allow the bait to clear the point of the hook. Natural hues...maybe some tacky looking ones. I find its the action more than anything. I skip them into open water or parallel to the shore, this imitates fleeing baitfish...watch the line for pickups, try and keep the line tight, but with a bit of slack so it falls straight down.

Every lure will catch a fish, its the ones that you learn to use and have the most confidence in, those will be your go to baits. Same with colour. You may find that different bodies of water, different weather conditions or different seasons can dictate colour more than lure type.

Hope that helps. Tight lines.

Guest live2fish85

No trying to be rude but you may want to do some reading on fishing lures. People have there lures that are a favourite. It is all due to confidence. Lure sizes and colours can all change due to weather, water clarity and so on. Knowing those things will help you.

There really is no one lure that will work all the time. May need to just change the colour or the size and so on. I would suggest getting lures that are similar to what you are confident with mostly and a few others to help build more confidence in other areas.

Natural colors in clear water, bright loud lures in dirty water.

Husky jerks suck to cast, too light. Go with the xrap instead...get one of every color and its pretty much the only lure you'll ever need. I like the xr-12 size best as primarily a pike fisherman.

I enjoy Rapala Lures, they seem very versitile, Lots to chose from.. pricey, but always work for me.. My go to Lures

Soft Baits also work well.. Lots to chose from..

Spoons and spinners work well too...

Tons of lures out there all perform well and are very versitile.. I would suggest purchasing a mix of them and try them out and see how they perform.. Depending on the season, weather, and water conditions..

Just remember Lures are also designed to sell to the angler... Try to think like a fish, and depending on the time of year and what food sources are available...

No trying to be rude but you may want to do some reading on fishing lures. People have there lures that are a favourite. It is all due to confidence. Lure sizes and colours can all change due to weather, water clarity and so on. Knowing those things will help you.

There really is no one lure that will work all the time. May need to just change the colour or the size and so on. I would suggest getting lures that are similar to what you are confident with mostly and a few others to help build more confidence in other areas.

Perfect advice. Confidence+knowledge equals sucess.

I would suggest a bunch of panther martins or mepps, in the size your comfterable with. Bass will really hit any size spinner.. And if the bass arnt biting, you catch what IS biting on the mepps or martins !

Archived