Newbie Trolling From Kayak

The Ketchican Kid

Looking to try for some salmon out in the lake via trolling in my fishing Kayak. I have the proper rod and reel and I have a scotty rod holder that adjusts at the gunull of my yak both swiveling and sliding up and down. I was planning on getting a dipsy or jet diver to get my glow spoon down to the fish and im wondering if this is a good idea. I dont have a fishfinder but I do have charts that tell me how deep the water is infront of where i want to go. Any help much appretiated!

Yeah, no need to venture out far. Troll a bright colored stick bait of some sort and you will get into the Kings....Just troll it behind the boat without any added weight, divers, etc....The farther back you put it, the deeper it will run.

For the staging Chinooks during the day trolling deep running crankbaits is the ticket, the more it wobbles the better. Grimsby Tackle has been Kwikfish cheaper than anybody all season, Reef Runners, Tail Dancers & Deep Thundersticks will also get you fish. Start a few casts length off the pier and work your way out until you hit fish.

At night I've found you'll do better casting glow spoons and letting them sink near bottom than trolling. Most of the fish are hugging bottom, if you're not snagging up every now & then you're not near the fish. Atleast in a yak when you snag you can paddle over and get your spoon back most of the time.

If you pick your days you can paddle off into deep water chasing rainbows this time of year no problem, Sunday was gorgeous, great paddling weather and more than a few eager rainbows 3 miles out.

100_0836.jpg

Some guys like to stay in tight and play with the boots, they've already lost half of their strength compared to early August but they are still fun.

100_0822.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

is that a photo of Mr Dave Clayton with you CLofchik? (holding the net?)

Heh it can be small lake eh? :D

Yup that's Dave, he's been bitten by the yakfishing bug and we've been out a few times since May. That was the day we were playing chicken with the blowboats infront of Bronte, lulz.

I'm pretty sure he's the only guy out paddling a 12' kayak with an 8000 watt sounder & GPS puck! :D

Bronte-18-05-20121800x600.jpg

not many giants floating along on kayaks on lake ontario. :roflblack:

dave is the man.

he took me on the lake for my first ever "lake Ontario" trip in 2004, and was also present to do the camera work when I caught my 24.5lbs brown.

he's one of the best anglers on the lake - and also one of the kindest.

Archived