Favorite Flies?

ron4blues

List your fave flies to tie and to fish! If you have a personal pattern, maybe you'd like to share the recipe?

Mine:

Royal Coachman (dry or streamer)

Muddler Minnow

Black Ghost Hairwing

Pheasant Tail Nymph

Polar Shrimp

Undertaker

Zonker (or the Zuddler variant)

Wooly Bugger

The most versatile pattern I find is the traditional Muddler.

Lets see some lists!

Some of my favorites include but not limited to are:

Babine special, Yarn fly, wolly bugger, yellow sally, adams fly, bunny fur leech, crystal shrimp, crystal meth fly and angora yarn fly. These are the flies i am currently using for bass, trout and walleye.

I like it, bites! I take it you wind the hackle after you tie down the wing? I can't imagine doing it the other way. Is the body just tinsel? I find zonker strips stay in place better on a chenille or dubbed body. Will definitely give this a try!

Its medium diameter mylar tubing and I did wrap the hackle before tying on the wing. I used fine copper wire to secure the wing in place then wrapped it forward over the hackle to the hook eye. I had to bulk up the body underneath so I could actually wrap the hackle so I used some thick lead-free round wire to fill it out

I would be interested in seeing other peoples flys...i like the egg patterns zonker and bunnyfur leech. Post some pictures....

Top to bottom : Muddler Minnow, Sunfish streamer, Crystal shrimp in pink and angora yarn fly. I will put up more pictures later tonight as i am not at home these just happen to be on my flash drive at work.

404625234.jpg

404625233.jpg404625231.jpg

404625230.jpg

Here are some flies I've used to catch steelhead on the fly rod: Zonker (silver body, white rabbit strip wing), black n blue spey style streamer, egg flies in yellow, pale green, pale blue, pink, bead head prince nymph, rubber legged mayfly nymph (size 8).

I see that a lot of folks are using zonker patterns! I like zonkers myself. Has anyone else tried a zuddler pattern? The first fish I caught on one was a 5 lb 'bow that charged clear across the pool to nail it. Next to a good size fresh Atlantic, it was the hardest take I've ever had on a fly.

Zuddler being a cross between a sonker and a muddler? I.e. rabbit strip body with a spun deer hair head? Didn't know what it was called but I tied several in black and olive a while ago. Never tried it for steelhead but works well for river smallmouth.

Yes, the zuddler is a muddler with a zonker wing and body. If you're using them for bass or pike a similar pattern is the Dahlburgh Diver, where the head is clipped at an angle to impart a diving/wiggling motion when stripped.

I don't have any photos of my own zuddlers or dahlburghs at the moment. Here are some Google images of some typical zuddler and Dahlburgh flies.

Zuddler

Zuddler_fin.jpg

CH%20Zuddler.jpg

Dahlburgh Diver:

gallery2-1.jpg

dahlberg-diver.jpg

I typically tie mine with an orange or fuschia wing, white head and a body of pink or orange polar ice dubbing.

I mentioned earlier a shrimp pattern of my own. Here it is.

Hook: Mustad 36890 sizes 2-8

Thread: Black or red 6/0

Body: Polar Ice dubbing

Rib: Oval gold tinsel or fine copper wire

Shellback: Yellow "Swiss Straw"

Hackle: Soft red hen saddle hackle, trimmed on top and sides

Eyes: Black Glass Beads

1) Prepare your hook by attaching the glass eyes approximately 1/8-3/16 of an inch behind the hook eye (I have a method for this that I'll show you in another post).

2) Tie in the hackle, ribbing and the end of the Swiss Straw, in that order, at the rear of the hook, leaving a short fan-shaped portion of the Swiss Straw stub extending past the bend.

3) Spin on the dubbing using your preferred method, but not too tightly.

4) Wind the hackle forward, using 5 turns and secure it just behind the glass eyes. Then trim the top and sides of the hackle short,

5) Pull the Swiss Straw forward to form the shellback, and secure it just behind the glass eyes. Do not trim it off at this point.

6) Carefully wind the ribbing forward using 5-6 turns, taking care not to trap the hackle fibres. Secure the ribbing just behind the glass eyes.

7) Pull the Swiss Straw forward between the glass eyes and secure it just ahead of the glass eyes with 2-3 turns of thread. Trim off the Swiss Straw to a short stub.

8) Finish the fly with a whip finish and a drop of clear head cement or laquer,

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy155/ron4blues/PolarIceShrimp.jpg

Archived