A Few Of My Recent Flies And Fish On The Spey

Craiger

hey guys here's some recent intruders i've whipped up and seem to be working well. Haven't been out to the niagara yet but thats coming soon... :).

Craig

8156610187_21091f0018_h.jpg

8156646946_ba0d2f5015_h.jpg

8156644830_4d61ce8028_h.jpg

8156597663_0331f207ed_h.jpg

8156631960_ee5be6c299_h.jpg

8156604405_4834ddf687_h.jpg

8156634220_dc9b6f6e46_z.jpg

8156638786_d75f7bf480_h.jpg

heres the one from monday on the small olive intruder... :)

8185569891_7930b9714b_h.jpg

8185572063_4dbe0a3797_h.jpg

Awesome looking flies

Awesome work.....looks like they do the job too. Thanks for taking the time to share those. Have to youtube the tying of them.

Great Post Craig!

The skill and passion put into FLY TYING has always blown me away.

Love the pics (Including the Fish!)

Nice to make your own ... and then put the icing on the cake with some beautiful catches.

*I was surprised the flies are so big .... was expecting them to be smaller.

Thanks for the share of your knowledge and success!

Thanks for the kind words guys. Blair, those flies look big while dry but once in moving water they really taper down. I like my flies very sparse with lots of movement. They also cast and sink better that way as well.

Dave if I ever get around to making a youtube video of one i will post it on here for you guys.

Hooked 5 more and landed 2 today as well...;). pics to come...

Craig

Craig: 1st of all thank you for the AWESOME pic's. 2nd I used to tie flies when I was pretty young, but got out of it once i started highschool.

those pictures are very inspiring to me and I am going to resurect my old hobby thanks to you!!

If anyone know of any tying seminars coming up please PM me.

DaveC: for a rookie your flies look great, that last one is absolutely beautiful!!

Well done!

Craig: .... guess once their "Wet" they do go down in size. Kinda like when the "Dog" jumps in the water or gets a haircut and looks about half the weight. lol

I get so used to seeing the "Smaller" sized presentations ... that when i see these, they come off more pronounced (as large)

Obviously, they are the "RIGHT SIZE" - cause your catches sure liked em!

ha.. ha We all know it's also how you worked em eh? takes the skill to make the presentation as well!

Dave: Nice Flies!

I love the "molted egg patterns" (if thats what I am interpreting? lol) I see some Sucker Spawn in there.

ps: You out in the "Garage" or do you have your own FLY TIE ROOM in the house?

Blair, those flies taper down a bit but really come alive in the water...lots of movement to piss off the fish and get that reaction strike i'm looking for.

Chef, those are tied on a straight shank with a trailing or stinger hook. I just use a loop of 20lb mono and an octopus style hook. i can post a picture later to show you how i start these flies.

here's a couple pics from friday morning.

8192766953_0c52c721a2_z.jpg

8192769503_c071c78091_h.jpg

8193859514_7fa3d49d6e_h.jpg

8192773769_86e7b2e435_z.jpg

Awesome Craig....I see why you run the stinger hook. I use a stinger all the time when I fish Nippissing as well for walleye. I would be interested in seeing how you attach the stinger ( trailing hook ) I guess you pre-tie the hooks first correct? Nice catches BTW all on the trailer....awesome. Been thinking about building a spey rod. I have a 14' blank already I bout off ebay for cheap. 8wt though kinda heavy for bows.

Hey Dave you can just tie on a big loop of line and then just thread the loop through the eye of the trailing hook. That way if the hook gets damaged you can just change it out and the fly is still good. I usually put the hooks on after i'm done tying so that it doesn't get in the way. 14ft 8wt is perfect for steel. I even fish a 15ft 10/11wt for steel with my long belly lines. Trust me...they still beat me up with that setup. :)

thanks a lot...i will post a step by step some time soon for you guys.

Some have eyes just to add weight to the fly for when i'm fishing faster flows. I prefer the unweighted ones...tend to lose a lot less of those ones...:). Just depends on the run i'm in.

Lately, been counting alot on SCENT.

But, Just love seeing the Tried and True - "Reaction Strike" methods.

I thought only Bass & Pike will hit from reaction? LOL (just kidding)

Lots of guys up here in the GTA have been told that trout are too smart for that kind of presentation.

Guess that's why they are unfortunately spending 90% of their time Discussing Equipment Issues instead of Observing and Learning the habits of the fish.

Kudo's on your Catches & Flies!

I always have a great respect for the knowledge shared by someone who takes the passion and time, to created these little gems.

Typically shows a lot of awareness of the fish and conditions.

Thanks

You should see some of the flies my buddies throw for the GTA fish...i've seen them smash a 6-7" prom dress fly. Its way bulkier then mine and made out of mostly whatever colour flash you want. Its basically mimicing a spoon swinging through a pool. I thought they would never hit something that big in the middle of winter and they sure did.

Archived