A Few Of My Recent Flies And Fish On The Spey

Craiger

Musky you will start getting them more and more. Not everyday is good though...it's still fishing which can be very frustrating at times. Especially these cold water steelhead sometimes...its all about the presentation, not so much the fly choice.

Craiger you are 100% that is for sure. I have honestly fished more with the pin since I picked it up. I do plan on getting out more with it I just need to get out fishing with someone who is able to give me some pointers about mending and such. I have been trying the dropper rig but my mend is horrible so I am not getting a natural drifts what so ever. To be honest I never tried swinging streamer style baits like yourself.

thanks a lot...i will post a step by step some time soon for you guys.

Some have eyes just to add weight to the fly for when i'm fishing faster flows. I prefer the unweighted ones...tend to lose a lot less of those ones... :). Just depends on the run i'm in.

great flies, great fish. Ive recently started tying marabou streamers as well but havent had much success on the Niagara, heading up to the credit soon. Where do you get your tube kits for the tube flies? is there a store in the region, or do you get them online? thanks

thanks a lot....these aren't tube flies. I've tied these on hairpins of all things. I make my own shanks out of hairpins and tie on a stinger hook.

very ingenuitive. do they still hold up well after a few fish?

I saw a great vid on youtube of a good way to attach two hooks together, I'm sure it would work for hairpins too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried some traditional flies on niagara with not much luck. Best flies there for me are rabbit strip intruders in all white and white and pink.

Until i get material for intruders....do you have any pics of the rabbit strip intruders? Btw awesome tying you do. Also i am going to build my first spey rod over the winter 14ft anything i should concider with that? What would be a decent reel to match up with my rod? Ive been wanting to try spey for a while after watching a few regular guys on the saugeen.....sure can cover alot of water and looks like fun too me. In the meantime....i still use the pin.

Next time I tie some rabbit strip flies I will post them up for you guys. As for the spey rod build I would recommend something in the 12.5-13ish foot range to get started. Unless you were going into casting traditional long belly lines. Then you will need the extra rod length to pick up that line to start the cast. 12-13ft 7-8/9wt rods are perfect skagit or scandi line rods. Most people these days are starting with skagit and moving up from there. My two main rods are a13'2" 7wt and a 12'4" 8wt. This can get very confusing when starting out so feel free to ask any other questions.

cheers

Best flies there for me are rabbit strip intruders in all white and white and pink.

Good call Craiger! Have had some of my best winter days on this colour combo under a float at Niagara.

Nothing fancy, all about the colour.

Next time I tie some rabbit strip flies I will post them up for you guys. As for the spey rod build I would recommend something in the 12.5-13ish foot range to get started. Unless you were going into casting traditional long belly lines. Then you will need the extra rod length to pick up that line to start the cast. 12-13ft 7-8/9wt rods are perfect skagit or scandi line rods. Most people these days are starting with skagit and moving up from there. My two main rods are a13'2" 7wt and a 12'4" 8wt. This can get very confusing when starting out so feel free to ask any other questions.

cheers

Good advice! Mine is a 14 St Croix 9/10 weight paired with a Pflueger 1912 (now the 1990) with a 650 grain skagit line. The combo casts like a cannon! I find that with heavier flies like Zonkers, the set-up is just the ticket.

25144_339890330263_5027961_n.jpg

24192_333016470263_6558885_n.jpg

Hey coachman...i picked up a 9 weight from Anglers roost cheap...i had some build me a nice reel seat and matching cap. I need to get guide specs yet and some cork rings for the handle. Can you give me some measurements on your handle? Im going to build it over the winter. This is going to be all new to me....so i appreciate any tips or advise.Whats a reel like that worth? Im going right in cold feet....lol.I have fly fished before....that was years ago. Nothing like hits on the fly for sure...once im all setup i will practice on the Grand river for Bass pike. Thanks guys..

Hey coachman...i picked up a 9 weight from Anglers roost cheap...i had some build me a nice reel seat and matching cap. I need to get guide specs yet and some cork rings for the handle. Can you give me some measurements on your handle? Im going to build it over the winter. This is going to be all new to me....so i appreciate any tips or advise.Whats a reel like that worth? Im going right in cold feet....lol.I have fly fished before....that was years ago. Nothing like hits on the fly for sure...once im all setup i will practice on the Grand river for Bass pike. Thanks guys..

I hope this helps. The only working camera I have is my cellphone at the moment. The handle is 23 inches, with the lower grip measuring 5 inches and the upper 13 3/4 inches. This is of course a 2-hander. The Pflueger Trion runs about $130-$150. There are pricier reels out there but this really is the nicest reel for the money that I've used.

I actually bought this entire setup on Kijiji a few years ago. St Croix no longer makes this particular rod (model 14010), but similar St Croix rods have a full retail in the $260-$300 range. I bought everything (including the rod, reel, line, backing, running line and heads for $300. Got a sweet deal I think.

SpeyRod_zps93e21cef.jpg

Thats perfect.....thats a good deal you got. I would guess you mainly use a roll cast? How far can you get it out there?

Spey casts are mostly roll casts. There are many excellent Youtube videos on the subject.

I fished the Ross Bridge Pool on the Margaree in Cape Breton a couple years ago where I had the current to set the anchor for the cast properly. I was able to cover 90 percent of the pool. That's 90 feet plus with no effort. I can probably get further but so far haven't had a chance to test it. Maybe the Whirlpool one day soon I hope.

This first shot is actually the Hart Pool on the Margaree. You may have to blow the image up to see clearly, but you can see the line rolling out. The head I'm using is a clear, and is just coming off the surface. You can get an idea from this of the length of the cast. The second shot is one of my brother trying my rod out.

59032_431143240263_6166073_n.jpg

60991_431137920263_2546805_n.jpg

Im super pumped to begin spey fishing. I have been looking at reels and stuff all day...LOL Was checking out some nice flys on ebay as well. I wan to tye my own, but Im thinking to buy a few first then start to duplicate them. I know there is just so much material to tying your own flys....I already have lots, but I seen how much Cliff has and what the stores carry and its easy to get overwhelmed. In the next month Im going to concentrate on the rod....been looking at the snake guides and stripping guides as well. Im almost thinking it might be better to just buy a spey handle then add some burl to it, to make it your own kind of thing. I hope you guys will allow me to pick your brain on lines/ leaders and that sort?

Guest chasechrome

Im super pumped to begin spey fishing. I have been looking at reels and stuff all day...LOL Was checking out some nice flys on ebay as well. I wan to tye my own, but Im thinking to buy a few first then start to duplicate them. I know there is just so much material to tying your own flys....I already have lots, but I seen how much Cliff has and what the stores carry and its easy to get overwhelmed. In the next month Im going to concentrate on the rod....been looking at the snake guides and stripping guides as well. Im almost thinking it might be better to just buy a spey handle then add some burl to it, to make it your own kind of thing. I hope you guys will allow me to pick your brain on lines/ leaders and that sort?

pm me brother and I can put you onto some really good resources...I will be happy to share my photos of spey recipes of mine via private mail only.

cheers and good luck wiht the spey!!!

cc

Right on Coachman...looks like the older SA skagit head on there. I have a few of those bit prefer the newer compact heads out there. On the niagara i've been using the SA intermediate 600g skagit. They swing low and slow even with all the different current seams you have to deal with on that river. They are also like 22-24ft in length so the D loop is nice and small which is important on the big river as well.

Guest chasechrome

Right on Coachman...looks like the older SA skagit head on there. I have a few of those bit prefer the newer compact heads out there. On the niagara i've been using the SA intermediate 600g skagit. They swing low and slow even with all the different current seams you have to deal with on that river. They are also like 22-24ft in length so the D loop is nice and small which is important on the big river as well.

Yup Craig-man...that's the stuff...skagit compact is the ticket...

Archived