Stan Jonathan Charged In Hunting Death

blairwelsh

There are many Hunters on this site who practice the outmost in safety. This terrible tragedy happened the other day. My prayers go out to both families.

ALWAYS SAFETY FIRST

Ex-NHLer Stan Jonathan charged in Hamilton man's hunting death

68bdfe40495f95fd2c20f9fab9cb.jpg

AS A BRUIN

Canadian Press file photo Boston Bruins left winger Stan Jonathan is shown in a 1978 file photo.

3a35ee8144a79a09dd11a7d9f470.jpg

CHARGE LAID

Canadian Press file photo Former Boston Bruin Stan Jonathan has been charged with criminal negligence causing death in the shooting of Hamilton resident Peter Kosid.

Related Stories

7b8240f3435e92d9d064d9bc2c4f.jpg

‘One careless shot and my husband is taken away from me’

Nov 13, 2012

Bowhunter Peter Kosid, a 28-year-old father, was felled by a shot in the back from across a farm field on a Six Nations property

0778cd5b472daac8e5085209bff0.jpg

We have no jurisdiction on Six Nations hunting: Province

Nov 14, 2012

A Hamilton man was killed there Sunday, but the ministry says it doesn't regulate what happens on the reserve.

Six Nations hockey legend Stan Jonathan is staying mum about the circumstances that led to him being charged with criminal negligence causing death in a hunting accident that killed a Hamilton man.

Mountain resident Peter Kosid was bowhunting on the reserve when he was shot in the back just before 8 a.m. Sunday.

Six Nations police said a deer hunter fired a shot from the roadway across a field along 3rd Line road, killing Kosid, who was more than three football fields away.

On Wednesday, police arrested and charged Jonathan, an Ohsweken resident and former NHL player celebrated for his hockey fighting skills with the Boston Bruins in the 1970s. He was released on a $10,000 surety and asked to surrender any weapons.

Jonathan refused to comment when approached by The Spectator at his home, but his Hamilton lawyer, Charles Spettigue, said the 57-year-old and his family are “absolutely devastated.”

Spettigue said he doesn’t know yet how his client will plead to the charge of criminal negligence causing death, which carries a minimum four-year jail sentence if a firearm is involved.

Neither he nor Six Nations police would comment on what prompted the hunter to fire from the road, an illegal act outside the reserve.

That’s the question that haunts the victim’s family, said Brad Kosid, who visited the site of his brother’s death Tuesday.

“I stood right where he died; my family stood where (the hunter) stood. I don’t understand how he could have seen anything other than a man,” said Kosid.

Constable Derrick Anderson characterized the shooter as a “deer hunter” and said Peter Kosid was wearing camouflage. He also said the hunter who fired the shot discovered Kosid’s body and contacted police.

Anderson refused to give any other information about the circumstances of the shooting, or the weapon used, arguing it could be evidence at trial.

But public court documents show Jonathan is accused of fatally discharging a .270 Weatherby Magnum Mark V, a high-powered rifle.

Spettigue said the Jonathan family’s “thoughts and their hearts and their prayers go out to Mr. Kosid’s family,” even though bail conditions prevent the Ohsweken man from directly offering condolences.

The victim’s family “is a little bit more at ease” after being informed of the criminal charge, said Kosid’s fiancée, Sabina Marrone, who has an eight-month-old son with the Hamilton man as well as a four-year-old daughter from a previous relationship.

Friends have launched a donations website for the family at www.pjkosid.com. A memorial service is planned for Monday, Nov. 19, at 7 p.m., at the Scottish Rite Club of Hamilton on 4 Queen St. S. All are welcome.

Brad Kosid said he thought the charge was appropriate.

“It’s not like we think (the shooter) did it on purpose, but it was so careless,” he said Wednesday. “It was a split-second decision that cost a life … It’s a tragedy for everyone involved.”

Six Nations residents reacted with surprise and disappointment to the charge against the popular ex-hockey player.

No one who spoke to The Spectator wanted to talk about Jonathan on the record, but residents at the Ohsweken arena pointed to him as a role model and supporter of youth hockey initiatives such as the Little Native Hockey League.

No one at the Six Nations band council office wanted to make a statement about the hunting accident, said spokesperson Karen Best.

Twitter exploded with reactions of shock from hockey fans Wednesday afternoon.

“If reports are true can’t imagine the tough time Stan Jonathan is going through right now,” posted Wesley Marsden Jr.

mvandongen@thespec.com

905-526-3241 | @Mattatthespec

What do you think would have happened if Peter Kosid would have killed (Jonathon) ?

We would never have heard the end of it.

He shot him in the back.

Jonathon should be charged with man slaughter.

No if, ands, or buts about it.......

You are supposed to know what you are shooting at.....Period.

IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET!!! I have been deer hunting many times and have yet been successful myself. I have had a number of opportunities but none of them were safe enough for me to pull the trigger. I'd rather go home with no meat in the freezer that have the slightest risk of injuring or killing someone, or non-fatally wounding the animal. Who ever pulls the trigger is responsible for anything that happens to that projectile. All of the good things Stan has done in life are irrelevant in this circumstance.

I have waited up to 20 minutes to place a shot in a clean kill spot on a moose . First of all , make sure it is a moose , second , make sure you have the proper male /female animal that you are licensed to shoot , and third , make sure there is no danger in the background . The shooter here murdered a man and should be charged as such .

A senseless and avoidable tragedy. I'm sure that Jonathan will be haunted by this for the rest of his days. My sympathies go out to both families affected by this.

I do have a concern about the amount of attention the media is giving to the fact that Jonathan is Six Nations. Race, colour, creed or socio-economic background have nothing to do with this. One man made a tragic error that resulted in the death of another man. The media should be leaving race out of it.

So sad to hear about this, I feel for the family god bless and rest in peace Peter Kosid

I thought that location was shot gun , slugs, and Bow no rifle ????? I may be wrong ??????

A senseless and avoidable tragedy. I'm sure that Jonathan will be haunted by this for the rest of his days. My sympathies go out to both families affected by this.

I do have a concern about the amount of attention the media is giving to the fact that Jonathan is Six Nations. Race, colour, creed or socio-economic background have nothing to do with this. One man made a tragic error that resulted in the death of another man. The media should be leaving race out of it.

Race makes it more of a sensational story and it turns an unfortunate one into one where an angle can be played and milked for more and more columns (and letters to the editor and such).

Positive news does not sell ... look at the front page story ... majority of the time it is something negative.

However the one pathetic thing is now newspapers are quoting tweets for people's reactions ...

It's all about the "Sound Bite" in todays world.

Who needs a well thought out opinion ... when you can get the "Instant emotional Reaction".

* Plus tons of Couch Potatoes and Internet Warrior - useless dribble

Reminds me of how they also Pose the question for Polls ect.

Typically it's either BLACK or WHITE ... never anything in between.

"Your either with us or against us" Mentality

Thankfully, there will always be those wise enough for some deeper thought and reflection.

Unfortunately, that doesnt seem to be the Media.

Course ... the "CONSUMER" (us) drives this, dont we?

Shame

Absolutely Blair . The newspaper headlines are pathetic these days , printing anything to catch your attention . There's always competition to be #1 to get the news out . In this case it doesn't matter what nationality the shooter is or how popular he is , it's the taking of a mans life with a weapon . In this case , mistaken identification is no excuse . As an ex-hunter who has hunted for many years , I'm waiting to hear what he has to say ........

I do agree with you gentlemen on the race thing in principle. I would however like to point out a couple of small details that do in fact have some bearing on this situation that are race related, or at least reservation related, which indirectly implies race. One is that the rules for hunting are different on the reserve than they are outside the reserve, or at least this is my understanding. If someone has information that would correct me on this please present it. Secondly, the reserve police deal with this as it happened on the reserve. I would like to believe that the MNR and the OPP would have jurisdiction on the reserve, but either they don't or they don't exercise it to keep the peace. And this directly involves race. At least this is the way I see it.

You're correct to a point, meatface. But I'd say it has more to do with geography than race. Peter Kosid was apparently hunting on the reserve (with a bow) while Jonathan was just outside the reserve with a rifle. The shot came from near (possibly across) the road, which is a violation to start with. The reserve police are dealing with it because Kosid was on reserve land when shot. The OPP and the regional police have no jurisdiction on the reserve; nor does the MNR. The RCMP and other federal agencies do have jurisdiction there and I'm assuming they will be involved.

Culture, Geography ... religion..... will somehow always "Slip into the mix"

Heck, were only human right?

Not condoning or supporting these "Traits" of society.

Just a reality.

It's how WE deal with these ... that makes the difference.

________

At the End of the Day .... when "We" look in a mirror.

I'd like to think that we are all the same.

RIGHT and WRONG , Accepting Responsibility ... have always been PERSONAL.

* Bad news travels faster than good news.....

So, time for us to keep spreading the GOOD NEWS!

Even if - only 2 people hear it (Rather than 1,000,000 hearing the Bad News)

Is the Glass HALF Full or is it Empty?

I called in a turkey hunter once. Glad I identified my target and didn't shoot at that movement making bad turkey noises.

At first I thought this was murder. Yes a white boy hunting on the reserve shot by a first/six nations got me thinking this was a message. However the guy did go to the victim then call police so it's doubtful. The carelessness isn't as bad as murder I guess but the guy is still dead. This year sucks for accidents

• 3 weeks later...

Hate to pass any judgement here in any way. All involved are vitims. Mr. Jonathan is even a victim of his own carelesness but still one nonetheless.

Should he do time? Hell yeah. Regardless of circumstance. But I do feel for him and his family, not quite as much as I do for the victims young child and wife. The Man did the right thing. He called the police and is now facing the consequences. Had I killed a man under those circumstances, Jail would be peanuts compared to the mental anguish and guilt I would feel. Lets not make more of this than it needs to be. I won't even entertain the notion of any racial implications in this instance. That just perpetuates an already precarious problem and at this point in the investigation it is irrellevant and conjecture.

Archived