Time To Vent

coyotehunter

It looked to be beautiful fall day in the deer stand - cool crisp clear air, little or no wind with the promise of lots of sun. As the day progressed a parade of wildlife passed before me. A fat raccoon waddled through in the early hours. Ducks quacked thoughout the day in a nearby flooded area. Squirrels chased each other though the understory. I could hear turkey talk off in the distance. Three coyotes trotted by the stand at midmorning. I saw a total of three bucks and three does including a young buck with wierd headgear who circled the stand twice looking for the sexy doe (me) who called out to him. He finally walked off after 15 minutes lust unfulfilled.

Sounds like a great day.

When I got to the treestand in the predawn darkness my bow rope was hanging loose - normally I hang it from a peg. Maybe there was a wind. Once in the stand, my seat was not in its normal position. Oh well, at my age you get used to occasional bouts of early onset Alzheimer's. As the woods lightened, I looked around and then stopped with a sick feeling in my stomach. At the base of the tree lay an empty plastic water bottle and a scattering of cigarette butts. Once again I had been victimized by the INCONSIDERATE SLOB.

We all had encounters with different versions of this lowlife. One version appears out of nowhere at your elbow casting into your spot when you start catching fish. After untangling when he snags your line, he stalks off with indignation when you politely (?) suggest he respect your space - leaving a trail of garbage in his wake. There is a boating variant of this species.

Hunters are particularly vulnerable to these a#@holes. Hunters tend to be tolerated only to a certain degree by landowners who give permission to hunt - especially absentee owners with whom you haven't had the chance to establish a personal relationship. If they find garbage, cut fences, dead animals, and shooting near buildings we all get tarred with the same brush. After all, you are the only one supposed to be there. I put in hours of scouting, hours of practice, put up treestands, and punish my aged aching body lugging in 60 lb. bags of corn and mineral salt to feed the deer and all the other critters. So now you have the inconsiderate slob (hunting version) who not only has trashed the property but has had the audacity to do it right in your great spot - your favorite stand no less! He probably peed off the edge of your stand (or god forbid on it).

You are now faced with what can be a no win situation. Grin and bear it and clean up after the s#@$head and hope this is all he does. Or have a confrontation with the jerk which can have nasty results. Remember that this is a character with obvious low moral character and no ethics - and he could be armed. Either case can come to the attention of the landowner and faced with unwanted problems there is the real possibility that you are out and the NO HUNTING signs go up. You are screwed because you are the decent human being. The inconsiderate slob has no problem with this. For him it is a positive because he doesn't have any decency, ignores signs and now has no one to compete with.

I applaud the clean up efforts of the members of this forum. For those who confront the inconsiderate slobs they meet - be safe. As for what I am going to do about my situation, I can't tell you. I want to maintain plausible deniability when questioned by the authorities.

Darkness has arrived and I am at the base of the tree removing my bow from the rope. I pause for a moment in the stillness and hear an owl hooting nearby. I think about the wildlife I had the fortune to see and hear today. I have to say - it was a good day. Then with a sigh, I pick up the bag of garbage my unwelcome visitor had left - dammit, it should have been a wonderful day!

This story can make my blood boil . We have too many of these kind of people amongst us who try to do the right thing . I got some honey from my private supplier today , only 3 blocks away & someone stole his van with all his expensive tools and his books, then torched the van a few blocks away .....many thousands of dollars in tools gone ! He is so upset and nearing retirement , & very worried about completing jobs for his clients .(he is a carpenter) Many break ins are happening in this area , a good middle class neighbourhood . We are up against a growing force of scum bags out there , in your hood, hunting or fishing area . It's obvious to me the legal system is not doing its job ! I have nothing against the other laws (jungle) if that's what it takes to get the attention of the low lifes ......I'm sorry to hear about your encounter with the moron who did this coyotehunter & hope you get the culprit good. His butts certainly wouldn't help bring the deer to him & hope you bag a deer soon .

I have been hearing this kind of story over and over again! I know how you feel! One of my spots has had the same type of issues this year! It is almost to the point for me where I want to pack it in hunting the Niagara Region! That is not an option because I know if all the good guys do that then it lets the bad hunters win! The kind of people that pull this kind of stuff have no class and respect nothing! The only thing they understand is a FAT lip!

Get creative, that's what I'm doing. There's lots of great things you can do to a seat to deter people from sitting on it again. Do some recon, get plate numbers, trail cam photos, etc. Bring this info to your land owner and to police.

COYOTEHUNTER:

That is the BEST VENT .... I have heard in a long time!

THE GOOD GUYS will always WIN my friend.

Dont ever forget that.

THE GOOD GUYS have Respect

THE GOOD GUYS have integrity

THE GOOD GUYS have decency

THE GOOD GUYS carry their heads head high

The SCUM BAGS dont even have the capacity to see the beauty the way you do.

- Even in your vent, you overcame the actions of the slobs and saw the awesomeness of nature around you and shared that.

SCUM BAGS are selfish and never share

SCUM BAGS are takers- they never give

The GOOD GUYS are always GIVING in selfless ways.

The GOOD GUYS will clean up after the SCUM BAGS, and then reflect on their actions with humility - No hero medals needed

The GOOD GUYS will go out of their way to HELP OTHERS

The GOOD GUYS will quitely do the RIGHT THING

The SCUM BAGS.... well, they will never have the passion of a GOOD GUY!

GOOD GUYS will always WIN!

I fish alot downtown Toronto and of course on the Pressured Tribs of the GTA .... and experience the "SCUM BAGS" almost every outing. I try not to let them bring me down. At times, it seems like a losing battle ....

GOOD GUYS will manage somehow to *SMILES* (It's in their blood)

Keep on venting .... it's how GOOD GUYS realease the Negative energy.

SCUM BAGS ... they radiate the SHEET.

THANKS to all the GOOD GUYS!

They make the difference in our world

A friend of mine bought a property a few years ago and spent thousands on fencing to protect the young trees he planted to reforest part of it. After repeated fence cuttings by snowmobilers and a lot more money spent in repairs he decided to stake out one of the more popular cutting locations. It wasn't long til an inconsiderate slob came up to the fence and stopped his machine. He pulled a pair of wire cutters out of a holster on his skidoo. Obviously he was a boy scout in a former life. When he started cutting my friend lost it, knocked the miscreant off the machine, took the key and called the police. In court the judge said "tsk tsk naughty boy " to the perpetrator, gave him a warning and sent him on his way. He then proceeded to tear a stripe off my friend saying he was lucky he wasn't facing charges for assault and law suit from the poor snowmobiler.

Stuff like this tends to make one hesitate to take extreme actions no matter how justified you feel.

Thanks for the suggestions and support for my vent. For the record i just can't see me doing some of the things you have suggested (they ain't horrible enough)

I wouldnot say its got worse over the years, i would say better , back in the day there was no such thing as "tresspassing" everyone used to hunt everywhere and would rarely ask for permission, i grew up on the farm and farmers really didnot care if you hunted on their property as long as you didnot mess up the crops and brought them some game or some whisky the odd time there was really never and issue and "no hunting signs" were unheard of. People used to dump crap everywhere there was no environmental teams cleaning and what not. I think weve came along way. Always going to be idiot hunters just like theres idiot drivers on the road for example, Theres careless idiots in every profession. Thats life get used to it.

No I get it theres inconsiderate hunters who litter and tress pass and use other Hunters tree stands. Trying to get someone arrested and convicted boy that would be some chore.

Ive already been through the process, i own land, ive had tresspassers on the property..Ive called the police, police do nothing took them half a day to come and take the report. The cop told me personally to not even bother if it happens again unless the tresspassers 1. stole something 2. Made a threat 3. Used a firearm carelessly. Its illegal to detain someone and nearly impossible if you even tried so really theres no way of prooving anything, licence plates are no proof at all along with trailcams. The tresspass act is very tricky and getting a conviction when there just tresspassing on farm land or bush is nearly impossible. So those out there who say call the police get licence plates and all that crap will get you no where might get you a black eye is all. Its not fair i know.

Personally, I would cal the MNR. It is illegal to hunt without written permission from the landowner. And always carry a valve stem tool on you. It's quick and easy to remove four valve stems and a real pain in the ass to get some to replace. It is not an expensive fix, but it sure creates a nasty time for the guy that has to deal with it. As my father always says, 'there's more than one way to skin a cat'

Personally, I would cal the MNR. It is illegal to hunt without written permission from the landowner. And always carry a valve stem tool on you. It's quick and easy to remove four valve stems and a real pain in the ass to get some to replace. It is not an expensive fix, but it sure creates a nasty time for the guy that has to deal with it. As my father always says, 'there's more than one way to skin a cat'

If you really want to do that, you might as well just cut the valve stems right off.

I do not endorse this type of behaviour, but if you want to do it......

Ive already been through the process, i own land, ive had tresspassers on the property..Ive called the police, police do nothing took them half a day to come and take the report. The cop told me personally to not even bother if it happens again unless the tresspassers 1. stole something 2. Made a threat 3. Used a firearm carelessly. Its illegal to detain someone and nearly impossible if you even tried so really theres no way of prooving anything, licence plates are no proof at all along with trailcams. The tresspass act is very tricky and getting a conviction when there just tresspassing on farm land or bush is nearly impossible. So those out there who say call the police get licence plates and all that crap will get you no where might get you a black eye is all. Its not fair i know.

Hey, if it provokes a black eye...............perfect. Open season for me.

The MNR lol < i sad the police take half a day you might be there for a week before the MNR show up. As for causing vandalism on someones car, I dont think so , now your looking for yourself to get a charge, kinda defeats the whole perpous of calling the police.

The best way to stop tresspassers is to kick them off yourself , more then likely they wont return. Doing dumb things like poping tires and letting air out of tires is not the answer.

Nope! I was brought onto a property to get rid of the trespassers. They even threatened the landowners because it wasn't the no fire zone so get back in the house before you get hurt. I eventually caught the losers, called the cops and told them me and my kid almost got shot (the truth) and took a bunch of pictures. After the cops made the bunch of them apologize he let them go despite our insisting they charge them.

Posted their picture here and someone recognized them. They've been quite co-operative ever since. A camera is your best weapon and don't be afraid to share. The only thing is be absolutely sure they are trespassing. The first year I tried to kick a guy out on the perfect frosty opening day and was told he did have permission. After giving the landowner the guys name he remembered he did give him permission a while back. Boy did I feel like doo-doo for that one. Glad I didn't cut off his valve stems.

As for catching a guy red handed cutting the fence I would have seen red. I likely would have had to buy him a new snowmobile because I probably would have scrapped his machine right there on the spot.

To all the losers who sit in other hunters treestands. We all hate you because your one of the worst low lives in the field.

DAM! That pisses me off! How can some people be so rude and inconsiderate! Blair's got the right attitude imo. I agree with Dan, his snowmobile would be heading for the dump. If I ever get land, I'm getting some mean ass dogs... Not my fault the idiot ignored the tresspassing signs and got bit! :D

LOL and then the tables turn he calls the police on you and says some wacko just trashed my snowmobile, you go to jail and he laughs all the way to the bank.

Tresspasser wins and Property owner looses. Rough day I would just stay in bed.

LOL and then the tables turn he calls the police on you and says some wacko just trashed my snowmobile, you go to jail and he laughs all the way to the bank.

Tresspasser wins and Property owner looses. Rough day I would just stay in bed.

True! :D

And then they put your dogs done. Society is garbage if your dog attacks someone breaking in they usually put the dog down its stupid!

DAM. Society is stupid.

Archived