Port Dalhousie Garbage

canadadude

Well here we ago again the so called Trout fisherman of Port D have turned this area into a freaking disaster area but this time it almost killed my dog. My father who walks the dog in Port everyday brought him down to see me and unfortunatly my poor Golden ate a roe bag with a hook and line still attached, well long story short 2 vets and $1000 later my pet will be ok. For gods sakes you ignorant pigs what is it going to take for you to smarten up and clean up after yourselves the complete area is a dump. This is the second incident this year I have wittnessed a poor dog choking on a hook. I fish Port all the time, but if this nonsense keeps up I will be the first to spear head a movement to start closing areas to keep the filthy pig fisherman out. This area is used by all the public and it's as shame when fishermen make it dangerous for others to enjoy a walk with there pets. So please take your trash home with you and for godsakes stop littering the area with hooks.

Sorry to hear about your dog, but glad it will be ok. It was my first time trout fishing Port this past weekend, and I too noticed that an unnecessary amount of small hooks littered the ground. I was happy to add a couple more hooks to my collection...they aren't cheap, so I don't know who can afford to just toss them to the ground like that. Careless, ignorant, insensitive, and dangerous!

There are garbage cans and dumpsters on either side of the channel, so there's absolutely no excuse for that kinda crap.

Man , that make me mad ! I was just petting that beautiful dog a few days ago as I talked with your Dad near the lighthouse . You know how I feel about people who toss fishing line and tossing hooks is just plain stupid . Take a close look at this former picture I posted recently and you can see hooks of all sizes in that ball of line . I came home with a hook imbedded in my shoe this summer . A dog will pick up a hook with a roe sac , dead minnow , or even the scent of either on the hook .

SAM_1944.JPG

Niagarangler ......they have removed all garbage cans on the west wall at Port . They should be there ,not only for anglers but the many people who still enjoy strolling along the water front . And , as stated , there's no excuse for leaving garbage behind .

That is disgusting its a shame how many bad anglers there are in this world. Hope your dog recovers quickly! That's a bad vet bill. I can not say I have ever had my dogs swallow hooks, but I have stepped on a few roofing nails from people not cleaning up there roofing projects. The worst is getting it right in the foot through a flipflop.

Sorry to hear about your dog Canadadude......I too am fed up with these slobs. Please pick-up a little bit of garbage on each trip....even a small amount. Unfortunately we have to pickup after these people. The fishing line and hooks is the worse. There is a lot of fishermen out there who just don't care....and we need to start pointing them out.

that sucks. glad to hear your dogs on the mend.could of been worse.while i dont fish port much at all i do come down there to get my minnows and its always the same picture garbage everywhere.maybe one day they will close it to fishing and i sure hope those slobs dont find my fishin hole

Niagarangler ......they have removed all garbage cans on the west wall at Port . They should be there ,not only for anglers but the many people who still enjoy strolling along the water front . And , as stated , there's no excuse for leaving garbage behind .

Didn't know that smerch! I was just using the dumpster behind the Legion.

This is disgusting.. Glad to hear your dog will be ok... sucks about the Vet bill...

these slobs are going to force the city to close Port D down for fishing... too many people use this area for recreation.. especialy for walking thier dogs... it wont be long before more animals get injured from the fishing garbage down there..

Just wait until the Condos are done and we get a bunch for wealthy rich people walking around.. they will be complaining forsure.. then the City might take some action...

Really how hard is it to take your garbage with you? Morons...

The garbage cans would have been removed if the company the city contracts for garbage will not pick up the bags (conditions too icey, etc). Also would not be the first time the cans have made their way into the harbor as well.

Mind you a garbage can in the area WILL NOT make a difference. I don't know how often I have seen people drop their junk around the cans ... a slob will be a slob no matter what tools are provided to stop it.

It never ends. Makes the summer Derby feel like it was a hundred years ago. Candude....if that was my dog I would be beside myself, borderline violent, raving mad. It's heartbreaking knowing that it is the anglers that are doing the most damage. Keep on trying boys. Bring extra bags for cleanup and always make sure the area you are fishing is free of line, hooks etc...The most frustrating thing for myself is the more we bring attention to these issues the closer we are to being shut out of these places. An enigma, wrapped in a conundrum, sandwiched in between a clusterf*@k!. GAAAAAAH!

Have to start calling them out as you witness them littering .:th_fudd::slap:

If you have a wad off tangled line, stuff it in your pocket! Tim Hortons cups? Take it back to the car (or horse) you rode in on with!

I'm with Canadadude on this. If it keeps up, I'll be supporting a fishing ban in the affected areas. I'm sure MANY non fishers would support this as well and would LOVE to see all fishing activity cease. Wait until that new penthouse palace goes in, fishers will just be an eyesore for their waterfront.

I agree all the way ....plus some ......There are bird watcher groups who would like to see shore fishing banned . I'm sure they take pictures for their cause , like the dead heron hanging from a tree , entangled with fishing line & published in the paper. If these people & other non fishers can collect enough "evidence" & present it to council , we may some day be facing boat only fishing . People (not just anglers) will carry full drink containers which are heavier to carry , but not carry the much lighter empties back with them . Just plain lazy & self centered .

That was an awful expensive ordeal to remove a hook Johnny . Was there any other options other than surgery or was it removed with a scope down the throat ? As a dog owner it would be good to know what we can do if we suspect our dog ate a hook . Can they induce vomiting or give the dog a laxative to help the hook/roebag pass through quickly ? In some cases a hook may lodge somewhere and may be eaten up by acids in the system .

Getting the word out to every angler is not easy , so to the good people here who have read this thread , pass the word ! I have got into the habit (addiction) of picking up fishing line .....very easy to spot when walking toward the sun as it reflects , even braid ! And ,many times , I have found a hook attached to the line . When changing a stale roe bag , put them into a container to dispose them into a garbage pail , not on the ground for animals or birds to swallow.

Happy to say Bud is back to his normal self, eating, playing and pooping oh and sleeping lol. The hook had to be removed with a scope as it was lodged in the esophagus, the vet in St Catharines took an x-ray and you could clearly see the hook, the problem is she could not remove it and the only available vet with the scope was in Beamsville. Anyway the Beamsville vet did a wonderfull job removing the hook and about 8" of monofilament line which she said if the line enters the digestive track it can cause horrific damage.The dog was alittle messed up for the night after the anestesia but is fine now, so I've put this bad experience behind except for the fact I will no longer fish in the pig pen. I have a few quiet areas around the harbour and one produced a tank of a steelie yesturday in the 12lb+ range.

Ah....good news. Tough little bugger. Just wish there was a smart way to let the public know that there are lots of anglers out there who care and are proactive, without stirring up the obvious anti-angling hornets nest.

my dog ate a roe bag last year down at port with a small number 12ish lookin hook in it, went to the vet, gave him a super high fibre protein diet. the idea was to create so much food waste inside the dog, it would envelope the hook and he would pass it normally. dogs been fine since it happened, never even gave a wimper, but we'll never be back to port because of that.

my dog ate a roe bag last year down at port with a small number 12ish lookin hook in it, went to the vet, gave him a super high fibre protein diet. the idea was to create so much food waste inside the dog, it would envelope the hook and he would pass it normally. dogs been fine since it happened, never even gave a wimper, but we'll never be back to port because of that.

yes this was one of the options, unfortunatly the x-ray showed a more complicated procedure was needed

Port Dal. trout anglers are not the only ones who do this , it's everywhere we shore fish . I went to the 12 today to try my luck for carp or cats & the first thing I see when I put the rod on a branch was a ball of line in the brush 12" off the ground . I gathered it up and got a couple of lead sinkers & a rusty #6 barbed hook . A women came down the pathway with a part golden lab , off leash which came directly over to me where I had carp bread & shrimp in a bag . I made my voice heard when I made the dog (friendly) get away from the bait . I could have had a second pole rigged with a shrimp on a hook .........BTW....not a bite !

the line was easy to spot when the sun shone on it.......

SAM_2103.JPG

line & tackle removed from bushes

SAM_2107.JPG

This is just normal everyday fishing garbage at every fishing hole . Dog owners take note , and be very careful what your dog is doing while walking in these areas . This is another thing that should be printed in the fishing reg.books to impress upon anglers that their garbage can kill both domestic and wildlife birds & animals .

Great work smerch! I try to fill my tackle bag with garbage as much as I can when i end fishing for the day, trying to keep my fishing holes clean. What really bugs me is I live probably 20 steps from a great fishing spot. So me being the snoopy neighbor I watch when people go down into "my spot" I usually try to keep that spot pristine even if its only a small spot of land. Its really hard to keep line and any kind of garbage from piling up. I had the entire spot cleaned up when I went up north in the summer I came back and there was probably 3 garbage bags full of garbage down there, not to mention a good amount of line,hooks and sinkers, And this accumulated in a weeks time. But on another note not necessarily fishing garbage but I have come to the conclusion that the blue recycling boxes cause more harm then good. Every Thursday evening my fishing hole is disgusting. People do not weigh down there recycling so all there recycling flies out of the bin because there is no lid! And then down into the water or onto the bank. I think we need to have strict rules with disposing of line,hooks etc, As well as our recycling program needs to be stepped up where the bins without lids are no longer accepted and they must have a secure lid. It would clean up a decent chunk of the junk at our holes.

And which vet in Beamsville did you go to. My vet is in beamsville hillsview vet, they are great there.

Unfortunately , you can't teach the unteachable , so it is up to us as responsible anglers to clean up after these dimwits , especially the fishing tackle garbage which makes us all look bad in the eyes of the public .

When my blue box is full I put a 16" piece of 2 x 8 on top to hold down the light blow away stuff . The trash pickup guys simply flick the wood aside and dump the box . I have two extra blue boxes which blew into my yard from ??? They come in handy for yard cleanup etc. Because there is so much over packaging we need larger blue boxes .

Re. my avatar photo ......that is not me ......it's Rex , our newly adopted 8 yr.old dog , pug/boxer mix ......30lbs.... and will eat anything that smells like crap . I would need to muzzle the little bugger if I took him for a walk outside of my yard .

I'm so HAPPY that your BELOVED FAMILY MEMBER is OKAY!

I respect the post and it's AWARENESS that "Hooks" arent just Garbage.

They can be KILLERS!

* This thread will make more people (self included) THINK.

Thank you!

To many it may only seem to be one little inconspicous (trivial) moment of littering. Not the "end of the world" as compared to all the big problems in our life and society. Yet it can change the lives of many of us.

A personal story:

The past labour day weekend ... our beloved Cat - "Octavia" became ill. She was having difficulty breathing and I suspected it was some kind of Lung infection. (Respritory Infection)

Our household was on an extremely tight budget (work situation).

I called every and any available clinic (animal hospitals) or shelters ... Humane Society, Spca etc.

Most were closed due to the Holiday Weekend.

Those that were open ... had "Higher Rates" (Long weekend premium)

I managed to go to one on the Saturday. The initial visit and examination was $150

What would then be needed was:

- X rays ($300)

- Blood Tests ($800)

- Overnight ($200)

This is just to get a diagnosis.

Unfortunately, this was impossible. (Very, very Sad situation)

*Two years before, we had spent almost $5000 dollars trying to save "Samson" (a beloved Cat - who had a bladder/intestine problem)

I begged the Vet to just give me some Anti-Biotics for the suspected Respritory Infection.

I understood that we should know what the exact problem was ... but I just could not afford the FULL DIAGNOSIS.

I figured that if it was more than an infection, the anti biotics "guessed" at would not work, but at least we tried.

The vet would not issue any anti-biotics (I pleaded, and indicated I would sign a waiver..)

On the Tuesday morning ... Octavia stopped breathing and died in her basket at home.

I buried her in the back yard.

My wife cried, and so did I.

I felt like "less of a man"... than anything every in my entire life. (Lack of $)

I could not even help a "family member".

Octavia had a wonderful life with us. She was well taken care of for over 13 years.

I understand the VETs have to make a living, no problems with that...

To this day, still cant figure out .... Why not give her some anti-biotics and at least try?

I'm so HAPPY that your BELOVED FAMILY MEMBER is OKAY!

I respect the post and it's AWARENESS that "Hooks" arent just Garbage.

They can be KILLERS!

* This thread will make more people (self included) THINK.

Thank you!

To many it may only seem to be one little inconspicous (trivial) moment of littering. Not the "end of the world" as compared to all the big problems in our life and society. Yet it can change the lives of many of us.

A personal story:

The past labour day weekend ... our beloved Cat - "Octavia" became ill. She was having difficulty breathing and I suspected it was some kind of Lung infection. (Respritory Infection)

Our household was on an extremely tight budget (work situation).

I called every and any available clinic (animal hospitals) or shelters ... Humane Society, Spca etc.

Most were closed due to the Holiday Weekend.

Those that were open ... had "Higher Rates" (Long weekend premium)

I managed to go to one on the Saturday. The initial visit and examination was $150

What would then be needed was:

- X rays ($300)

- Blood Tests ($800)

- Overnight ($200)

This is just to get a diagnosis.

Unfortunately, this was impossible. (Very, very Sad situation)

*Two years before, we had spent almost $5000 dollars trying to save "Samson" (a beloved Cat - who had a bladder/intestine problem)

I begged the Vet to just give me some Anti-Biotics for the suspected Respritory Infection.

I understood that we should know what the exact problem was ... but I just could not afford the FULL DIAGNOSIS.

I figured that if it was more than an infection, the anti biotics "guessed" at would not work, but at least we tried.

The vet would not issue any anti-biotics (I pleaded, and indicated I would sign a waiver..)

On the Tuesday morning ... Octavia stopped breathing and died in her basket at home.

I buried her in the back yard.

My wife cried, and so did I.

I felt like "less of a man"... than anything every in my entire life. (Lack of $)

I could not even help a "family member".

Octavia had a wonderful life with us. She was well taken care of for over 13 years.

I understand the VETs have to make a living, no problems with that...

To this day, still cant figure out .... Why not give her some anti-biotics and at least try?

Oh man. That sucks Blair, and why I don't have animals anymore. I love them all and had many over the years but the responsibility, heartbreak and financial commitment is just too much to bear for a one salary family man.

I learned my lesson after losing my Rotti too young after he ate a full rawhide chew that a neighbour had tossed over the fence for him and it blocked his intestines and I couldn't afford the bills. He was my best friend and my constant fishing buddy. I felt the same way you did about your cat. Like somebody ripped my nuts off and painted em pink with sparkles!.

But the point is really that when you have a member of your family that is already succeptable to these unforseen dangers, the last thing you need is some ignorant turd balling up a 150 yards of braid with a grubby baited hook and dashing it on a pathway for your best bud to lap up. And that isn't even the most obvious reason to be be a human being and clean up after yourself. Just one of the more expensive and tragic.

hey dude's I'm going to tell you vet bills are expensive but the level of care given to my pet was worth every penny, my dog was treated like a champ, better then me lol. The professionalism and level of care was outstanding, I know it cost me a g-note but after all was done it was the best grand I ever spent, I'm more then impressed with level of care these vets gave to my dog. I know vets today are expensive but the level of care they give an animal today is well worth the extra $$$$ , twenty years ago they would of looked at me and said well good luck, we'll give him the needle for $300, I have nothing but praise for the vet's of today, sure the price has skyrocketed but the level of care is outstanding

It's nice to see we have a tight knit group of anglers who really care about the environment.

I'm not sure what to say about repromanding other anglers If we see them haphazourdly desposing of garbage, line tackle etc...without breaking the "no harassment of another angler" rule.

all I can say is when it comes to me, have a chat with them and be informative on the negative affects of there wrongful disposal methods.

If they become angry telling me to mind my own business, I try to sneak in a picture of them, or I will get a liscence plate # and model of car, and post them on community boards like ours.

If the admins see a photo, and they try to become a member using an avatar of themselves they will get booted for sure.

Archived