3D Streamers

cdnfishguy11

After reading an old issue of Flyfishing & Tying Journal that contained an article about 3D streamers....

I have tried my hand at a few of them... gonna use them trolling for bass & pickerel up north this summer!

here is my take on a Bi-Plane and Black Ghost byplane:

IMG_0004_zps7972be68.jpg

IMG_0002_zpsf1089dbe.jpg

Im really really really really like these saddle hackle streamers :) Im gonna tie a ton more for the summer!

Instead of using black wool for the body I used thin chenille, it seemed to work out good... i

I skipped the tail that is used in the black ghost bi-plane pattern and used the peacock hearls like in the standard biplane.

as I buy more material and tie more I will update this thread :)

Nice tie! I like the classic Black Ghost Hairwing myself. Golden Pheasant crest for the tail and throat, black floss ribbed with flat silver tinsel for the body and polar bear for the wing. I've tied streamer versions with full hackle wings for trolling. Tied on an extra long shank or with a stinger hook they are great for landlocked salmon (notorious short-strikers).

561605_10151132147825264_2102352466_n.jpg

Here's a Google image of a selection of trolling streamers for Landlocked Salmon, including two versions of the Black Ghost.

1_p6_195.jpg

heres another pattern off the top of my head...

2 chartruse saddle hackles

2 olive saddle hackles

2 black saddle hackles

*all three tied in flat (in one wing)

2 grizzly hackles tied in upright

peacock herls for the head

olive chenniel for body w/green and silver wire.

heres a wet shot:

IMG_0018_zps8fcf2de4.jpg

and dry:

IMG_0020_zps2b7198ce.jpg

I'm with you guys. I tie quite a few streamers for browns. I've found sparse patterns to be the most productive, I tie a lot of mine with buck tail when stripping as I feel it holds the silhouette better when stripped quickly. I use the softer materials like marabou and saddle hackles for swinging and slower presentations, more movement with those guys. Nice flies.

Archived