Thank God For Beagles

coyotehunter

hey nine how big are the bushes you guys hunting? I find with my dog he does well in smaller bushes like 5-10 acres, once he gets in the bigger bushes with more terrain seems to be loosing them in tall reeds and marsh grass.

Don't worry 007. We hunt some big blocks and experience the same thing. Smaller chunks or hedgerows where you can get a shot on the first pass are always the best. The main reason we had little shooting on Saturday even though we had chases the whole time was that there was simply too much bush for us to cover. The rabbits were running but we weren't seeing them. The big bush allowed the rabbits to run big circles and eventually give the dogs the slip. Keep in mind we had 3 dogs. Hunting with one dog in big blocks is that much tougher.

Good job ninepointer. We went out Saturday and ran rabbits nonestop. Put only one in the bag tho. Super heavy brush, no visibility.....saw at least three of the buggers but no shots for me. Some of the chases were over an hour long. Beagle did a super job. Three of the bunnies went in holes....breeding population for next time. Tons of coyote tracks...need to get out there with the 6mm. and call.

Great to hear of others out there chasing them. Sometimes when we return to a public bush, the only footprints we see in the snow are the ones we made the last time we were there! LOL

Personally i prefer smaller bushes and yes good old hedge rows, Used to love going for walks and spotting them sitting under a tree or stump. Or along farm fence lines that divide properties. The bigger bush i hunt has a large pond/ marsh in the middle with a creek running through it, seems like the rabbits circle until they hit the marsh and then vanish, im guessing they got holes under there. Also big piles of old cement dumped on the property , all kinds of tracks around it , once the rabbits get in there tunnels under there , the dog has no chance.

Personally i prefer smaller bushes and yes good old hedge rows, Used to love going for walks and spotting them sitting under a tree or stump. Or along farm fence lines that divide properties. The bigger bush i hunt has a large pond/ marsh in the middle with a creek running through it, seems like the rabbits circle until they hit the marsh and then vanish, im guessing they got holes under there. Also big piles of old cement dumped on the property , all kinds of tracks around it , once the rabbits get in there tunnels under there , the dog has no chance.

The lesson from years past that we forgot on Saturday was was that in this particular big block, no matter where the chase starts, the rabbits sooner or later will eventually run to one particular inpenetrable refuge consisting of a huge tangle of trees that were flattened by a micro-burst. Its like a bunny fortress that no man or dog can penetrate (where's a trained ferret when you need one?). We should have had a hunter or three permanently camped out in that spot.

Where have all the jacks gone ? I see lots of open land in the photo . We used to put jacks up from the fence lines and brush , but that was many years ago . Jack (hare) stew....can't beat it ! :wub:

The lesson from years past that we forgot on Saturday was was that in this particular big block, no matter where the chase starts, the rabbits sooner or later will eventually run to one particular inpenetrable refuge consisting of a huge tangle of trees that were flattened by a micro-burst. Its like a bunny fortress that no man or dog can penetrate (where's a trained ferret when you need one?). We should have had a hunter or three permanently camped out in that spot.

Yes just like I have noticed, the bunnies retrieve to home base, Ive also seen some pretty ugly stuff where no man or dog could get it to kick them out, guess you got to catch them sunbathing and get them off guard. Smerch I havnot seen a jack quite some time. I do here they are out in Haldimand area.

Archived